which lens for wildlife, sport and airshows ?

which lens should go for ?

• sigma 100-400mm f5-6.3 dg os hsm lens

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
As long and as fast as you can afford (and justify!)

you're using canon cropped bodies, right? have a look at the 100-400.

As usual - it depends...
What camera body
What budget

I use a Canon 100-400 for Motorsport and have been very pleased with it - not overly heavy and produces consistently good images.

I tried a Sigma 100-400 once and was disappointed, but that was a long time ago, and Sigma have got a lot better in recent years.

Bang for Bucks IMHO the Sigma 150-600C is a great lens. I have used one for years on a various Nikon crop bodies from D3200, D7500 and D500. The zoom range gives good results for most subjects, especially wildlife. It also gets some good results on close-ups like butterflies. Negatives would be f6.3 and the weight but a monopod or tripod with gimbal can help.
PS I recently purchased the Nikon 500PF which is the Dogs.... IMHO - But I have still kept the Sigma for that extra reach and zoom !

sorry should have said i have a Canon 7d mk1
£1000 budget
wildlife mostly birds
sport motorbikes

Last edited:
Consider also buying used from a reputable dealer. The photo world is moving towards mirrorless and there should be lots of the 100-400ii available as many [not all] people switch to RF lenses and the RF 100-500 which seems to get positive reviews. Converters can be used for EF lenses to enable them to be used effectively on R bodies. I have read about some compatibility issues between non Canon and the new [but you can't buy one and people are waiting a very long time] Canon R7 but it also has its foibles: no grip, one card - this doesn't impress some folk.

It's quite spooky as I have a similar dilemma.

I already own the 100-400 (Mk1) and the 150-600C. I bought the Sigma as, despite the Canon being a lovely lens, it often left me short when birding, especially on a FF camera. I bought the Sigma for the extra reach although sometimes, even that is short. The Sigma though is as good as, if not better than the Canon, it's certainly as sharp, if not sharper.

I have been considering updating my 100-400 to the Mk2 but I'm questioning if I need to, given how pleased I am with the Sigma. The only drawback with the Sigma for me is the f6.3 at 600mm, but to get any 'faster' would cost big bucks, so the Sigma will have to do.

As for reach, 600 (960 equiv on APSC) is great but even that, sometimes isn't enough, it's upto me then to get closer.

As Linda says - used Canon 100-400 Mk2s should be plentiful as people trade them in for the RF100-500 (OH did this)....

With a Mk1 7D I believe it is not a low light camera, very noisy images at moderate ISOs, so even though the Sigmas are only 1/3-1/2 stop slower I'd stick with a f5.6 lens.

Or then again, my highly skilled bird photographer friend has bought in to the Olympus system. He now has an EM1X and the 300mm as well as a Canon R5 - he has spoken of returning to being a Canon user only at some point but takes the Olympus set up when travelling, I think. Of course, the physics of full frame v a half frame system is undeniable and yet people get spectacular results with the system too. I had the 7dmk 2 and found the noise so grim in low light for indoor sport, that once I had the ££ I allowed myself to buy the 1DX2. My mate does not miss his. I sold it earlier this year and do but will not replace it with another heavy DSLR.

R7 has 2 card slots.

The 100-400mm MKII has become easier to find lately but you will struggle to find a decent one under £1200, personally I would be looking at the 150-600mm C.
Ah well that is good to know. Compatibility with other non Canon lenses is an issue from what I have read. Happy to learn otherwise if that is not the case.

Ah well that is good to know. Compatibility with other non Canon lenses is an issue from what I have read. Happy to learn otherwise if that is not the case.

Conflicting reports at the moment, until (if) I get my R7 I can't say for certain if my Sigma Sport works properly or not but as the lens in this thread is for a 7D then the 150-600mm should work fine.

I have the 150-600 Sigma C lens on my Canon 80D ... I use it for wildlife, air shows and even astronomy ... I just love it .. I also have the sigma dock so can set the lens to my preference.

Another vote here for the 150-600 - definitely worth buying and easy to sell on again without losing money if you don't like it. :plus1:

I voted for EF 100-400mkII, which I use with a 7DII and have been quite happy with it.

after a lot thinking and taking in what you folks have said I'm going to go for Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C thanks for taking time to help me out :)

Canon all day long properly one of the best zooms ever made and manufactured in japan

Canon all day long properly one of the best zooms ever made and manufactured in japan

Sigma all day and all night long. Probably the best super-zoom ever made and manufactured in Japan

Sorry Tracy - just couldn't resist :)

sorry should have said i have a Canon 7d mk1
£1000 budget
wildlife mostly birds
sport motorbikes
£1k should be more than enough for a good condition used Canon 400/5.6L. Great value for money & I still sometimes miss mine when carrying its heavier replacement.

Back