Which lenses for D90?

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
Yes
At the moment I have a Nikon DX VR 18-105 and a SIGMA 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO lenses and they were bought at the same time that I bought my Nikon D90, and I am just wondering if these are going to be good enough for 1) taking close up macro pics of flowers etc or any close up pics at all and 2) for taking pics of cars, like portrait style etc as these are what I take pics of mostly and If I ever get a chance too I try to get some of planes as well.

At the moment I am still very much a point and shoot on auto person, which is why I bought the camera and lenses, so I can stop auto shooting and learn to do it manually, if I ever can... :thinking:

So am just wondering are these lenses ok or would you recommend some other lenses I should think about purchasing and if so, which?

Thanks for the help :)

I think if you want true macro (or micro as nikon call it) then you have to look at a dedicated macro lens such as Nikons 60mm or 105mm both at f2.8 both have excellent reports, im sure sigma and tokina prob do a nikon fit macro too.

Not sure about the cars but the 18-105 gives you a good focal range to begin with, only prob is in low light it isnt a very fast lens.

Just upgraded to the D90 and learning

I have two lenses at the moment a nikor 50mm 1.8

And a Nikor 55-200mm

I too will be interested in a Micro lens..

This pic taken with the 50mm book was just sitting on the arm of the chair I was sitting in.

A helpful book from Amazon

I use my D90 with both the 18-105 and sigma 70-300 APO.

Here is a car shot with the 18-105.

Close up with the Sigma 70-300 APO.

Same lens. (taken with my old D50)

I also have a Tamron 90mm macro that I use for true macro shots.

I usually use (A)perture priority and for macro I always use manual focus. I also try to use a tripod wherever possible.

...Just bought a D90 also. Got the nikon 18-200 instead of the kit lens.

Was hoping not to have to buy another lens just yet :D

Back