which lenses?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, need some advice.
I used to do quite a bit of photography some years ago with an old canon 20d but time became too much of an issue so ended up just using a p&s.
I've now found a bit more time and want to get back into it, I've bought a more up to date canon 60d but which lenses? choice is mind boggling:(.
Now i'd like a good walkaround and a good telephoto, I live in the country so i'm probably going to do more nature photography and bird photography which will be mainly in the garden so wont need 500mm, what I do want is good quality don't mind canon or third party at reasonable prices.
I m only going to put the pics on a computer and occasionally print a4 so no point spending too much on the l lenses,though I don't rule them out, don't worry about budget. thank you

Last edited:
70-200 f2.8 L IS: the ultimate in image quality, if you can afford it.
70-300 f4-5.6 L IS: more dedicated to telephoto photography
70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM: cheaper version of above L series lens
55-250 f4-f5.6 IS: the value choice.

In descending price, just pick the one you can afford, all will do well.

For 3rd party, I have the cheapest Tamron 70-300, sharp-ish at f8 and good value at £100, but it doesn't have image stabilisation so it's pretty hopeless in dull lighting. I very rarely use telephoto, only use it at airshows about once a year, so it's I went for maximum value.

Thanks was also looking at tamron vc seems good and seen a couple of comparisons with the f4 l and notmuch in it if that's true I have used the f4 and thought it wonderful, much cheaper now to. Would I get £800 worth better with the 2.8? mmm not so sure? I think 300-400 mm would be better for me.

The 70-200 f/4L is worth a look too, and used ones can be had for what is really pennies. I got mine for around £350 with the intention of upgrading to the 2.8 later. I've still never bothered to upgrade it...:D

*edit... Just read your next post about 300-400mm being preferable. Doh! Read the whole thread Dave....

Last edited:
I'd have said 17-55 f/2.8 IS and 100-400 IS L would be the ideal two-lens do everything very well combination. Secondhand should set you back about £1250-£1350

For the walk around i'd want good value for money and good iq I'd rather spend more on the telephoto as that's what I'll be using most.

like the look of the canon 70-300l has anyone got one to give me an idea how good?

like the look of the canon 70-300l has anyone got one to give me an idea how good?

Yup - very good lens and I much prefer the zoom to the push-pull of the 100-400.

If you just want one lens for everything you can't go wrong with the Canon 28-300 L. It's expensive but is a good performer throughout the whole range. I borrowed one at the weekend for a few shots and would really like one now. Just haven't got the money for it though.

Thanks guys borrowed a friends tamron 70-300 vc for the day, very good for the price but grainy results at the 300mm range so no good to me if they don't do that well at their longest then what's the point? I will also need to go 400mm so was thinking maybe the great value 70-200 and the 400 f5.6 or the 100-400 what are these like at the long end? and is there any sigma or tamron alternatives that are as good

Last edited:
Thanks guys borrowed a friends tamron 70-300 vc for the day, very good for the price but grainy results at the 300mm range so no good to me if they don't do that well at their longest then what's the point? I will also need to go 400mm so was thinking maybe the great value 70-200 and the 400 f5.6 or the 100-400 what are these like at the long end? and is there any sigma or tamron alternatives that are as good

400 f/5.6 is impeccable if your technique is correct. The 100-400 is good but not as good as the prime. It does have IS and the flexibility of a zoom though.

yes the 400mm seems to have the slight edge overall going on reviews & opinions I've read, when you say technique anything in particular?

Last edited:
I've also noticed no one seems to suggest any tamron/sigma maybe equal or better to canon in telephoto does anyone think differently?

Back