Which monitor calibration tool

Edit My Images
Yes
As the title says really, which is the best value monitor calibration tool out there and any ideas on cheapest place to buy?

Thanks in advance.

If you print your own images do you want one that calibrates the printer as well?

I went to the Focus on Imaging camera exhibition with money in my pocket and wanted to buy a monitor calibrator and they told me it wouldn't really make much difference. Saved me a lot of money not having to buy one in the end.

I do all viewing on the day, so its just to get the monitors set up correctly. Not too concerned about the printer calibration. But saying that, it depends on the price of the unit I suppose. No harm in having the printer calibrated too I guess.

I can recommend the X-Rite i1 Display Pro, (or the cheaper ColorMunki Display)

£160 / £115 - Essentially the same, but the Colormunki is slower to take readings, and the software side is slightly more locked down..

I came from a Spyder 3, and that struggled on some laptops and other displays, the i1 has been faultless on a wide range of LCD types and very consistent indeed.

I did get a free printer profiling voucher from the place I got mine, but never bothered..

Most of the time you can get away without one, but seeing the variety of difference it can make at times, I don't regret getting mine even if it's for my own use (and friends..) the software is unlocked by the hardware, but once a profile is created, you don't need the hardware..(i1 Display Pro at least, since that's the one I have!). I created profiles for 80 and 120 cd/m2 for print and screen proofing, and that's working out really well..

Last edited:
I have the Colormunki Photo which calibrates both monitor and printer and it calibrates them both perfectly to each other..

Dal said:
I went to the Focus on Imaging camera exhibition with money in my pocket and wanted to buy a monitor calibrator and they told me it wouldn't really make much difference. Saved me a lot of money not having to buy one in the end.

Whomever told you that was spouting smelly stuff out of their dung trumpet.

You only have to look at the number of threads on here where people have their exposures wrong, WB wildly out and contrast/sharpness all over the place to understand how important it is.

Bright yellow or orange are probably the worst offenders for being off colour.

Just bought the 'X-Rite i1 Display Pro' from WEX (with a free shipping voucher from Quidco !). Wish I'd bought one a long time ago and saved all the frustration with over bright displays and dark prints :LOL:

Precision said:
As the title says really, which is the best value monitor calibration tool out there and any ideas on cheapest place to buy?

Thanks in advance.

There is i1 for sale in accessories section of classified ;)!

I use Spyder Elite, I think it is worth paying the extra to get one which allows you to set the brightness of the monitor to a specific setting, rather than just telling you to set it back to default.

Back