Which NAS would you recommend?

Bear in mind, glacier is cheap for backup but look at the price to retrieve your data!

It's a worst case scenario level backup. I.e. my apartment burned to the ground. Anything else I have catered for with on-site backups.

If I had to use it, the last thing I would be concerned about would be a few quid to download all my photos! 12 USD per 100GB for download...I can live with that.

Last edited:
what do you plan on using as a backup with all that data? I currently only backup photos and personal files, all my videos and music are not backed up at the moment (about 3TB and growing). My feeling is if the worst came to the worst they are easily replaceable, even if it'll take a long time to do it.

Honestly I don't know...I am thinking something like Amazon Glacier knowing it's expensive if you actually need it!

I'll want to back up my media as the thought of re-ripping it once it's done just doesn't bear thinking about!

Apparently hubic works with Synology now, or if not right now in the new update coming

I'd love one of these storage devices to have an app for amazon cloud which I get unlimited for free with prime... seems none do yet.

what do you plan on using as a backup with all that data? I currently only backup photos and personal files, all my videos and music are not backed up at the moment (about 3TB and growing). My feeling is if the worst came to the worst they are easily replaceable, even if it'll take a long time to do it.

It you buy a Drive Caddy (£20-30) & a 4Tb desktop drive (£95-150) then take it & leave it offsite, you will have your backup...

Then when its full, just mark it up with whats on it & buy another drive. I wouldn't personally buy the most expensive drive (or the cheapest) as:
1. I have the data copied already in the NAS server (5 drives).
2. The drive isn't going to be powered much.

What I would recommend is to buy any reliable 2 or 4 bay NAS depending on how much storage you need and fill it with 4GB drives. If you have a good broadband connection then forget about RAID and use Crashplan as your NAS backup redundancy. For $50 per year its a lot cheaper than the cost of wasting a disk in RAID that's more than likely going to fail in <3 years anyway.

It you buy a Drive Caddy (£20-30) & a 4Tb desktop drive (£95-150) then take it & leave it offsite, you will have your backup...

Then when its full, just mark it up with whats on it & buy another drive. I wouldn't personally buy the most expensive drive (or the cheapest) as:
1. I have the data copied already in the NAS server (5 drives).
2. The drive isn't going to be powered much.
If prefer not to do that as I don't want all the extra power sockets used but it may come to something like that. At the moment there is about 5GB on it so either way I'm going to have to use two drives at a time!

Back