Which Std lens 18-50, 17-85 or 18-135

Edit My Images
Yes
ok, looking for a lens to replace my kit lens (18-55) non-IS.

Given these are all very similar (second hand) which is the better option do you think. Does the IS compensate for the loss of extra f-stops with the sigma.
Why should I not pick the 18-135 instead of the 17-85, it's 1mm less at the wide end but 50mm extra at the long, is the Image quality that much better ?
I don't think I would use either of the Canon's too much at the extremes.

Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Canon EFS 17-85 IS F4/F5.6
Canon EFS 18-135 IS F3.5/F5.6

Or is there another better choice at this price range ?

Cheers

If your intending to stay with a crop sensor the the 17-55mm f2.8 IS or the slightly cheaper 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS would be my choice of lens as a upgrade to the kit lens. Another alternative is the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

The 18-135mm is a improvement over the kit lens, but at the bottom of the list when compared to the lenses above, but it depends on your budget.

ok, looking for a lens to replace my kit lens (18-55) non-IS.

Given these are all very similar (second hand) which is the better option do you think. Does the IS compensate for the loss of extra f-stops with the sigma.
Why should I not pick the 18-135 instead of the 17-85, it's 1mm less at the wide end but 50mm extra at the long, is the Image quality that much better ?
I don't think I would use either of the Canon's too much at the extremes.

Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Canon EFS 17-85 IS F4/F5.6
Canon EFS 18-135 IS F3.5/F5.6

Or is there another better choice at this price range ?

Cheers

From these 3, I'd opt for the 17-85IS lens...

As Pete says, there are others available which are newer / better / faster etc, but it does depend on budget and are you looking new or 2nd hand ?

I'd go for the 17-85 IS too, if your budget is sub £200. However, they do tend to wear the inner flex quite regularly.

Rob

I am looking to stay with a crop at the moment - don't think I can stretch to a full frame camera replacement for a while.

Looking at second hand - budget is around £200

Tamron 17-50 MkI imho. It is a much sharper lens than the 17-85 (I've used both) and has F2.8 across all focal lengths. MkI's can be obtained for less than £200 and seem to be rated as being sharper than the MkII.

From these 3, I'd opt for the 17-85IS lens...

As Pete says, there are others available which are newer / better / faster etc, but it does depend on budget and are you looking new or 2nd hand ?

I'd go for the 17-85 IS too, if your budget is sub £200. However, they do tend to wear the inner flex quite regularly.

Rob

I completely disagree with both of you. Having used both the 17-85 & owning two copies of the 18-135 I would choose the latter every time.

I'd like to add my endorsement of the sigma 18-50. I was lucky enough to find a great copy of the 2.8 EX and was glad I did. It's really sharp throughout the range and it's so useful having the wide 2.8 aperture. Low light focus is fine, off centre focus is fine along with great build quality. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Back