Which teleconverter?

Edit My Images
Yes
Im unsure which on to get, It will be used with a D90 and a Nikon 70-200 VR. I have been thinking about the Nikon 1.4 or 1.7. As from what i have found on the internet the 2.0x results in alot of softness. But then a few still say the 2.0x still gives sharp photos. The main use will be for motorsport, so i dont think i need to go for the 2.0x

But what are peoples opinions on the 1.4 and 1.7. The 1.4 is supposed to be as good as the lens itself, losing an f stop or 2. Would the 400mm it provides on a DX body be sufficent?

I was going to go with the 1.7 but from searches on the net some people say that its also soft and the results arent satisfactory. But others say its sharp.

Has anyone got any examples between the 1.4 and 1.7? or what are your opinions?

I can't speak for Nikon, but if you were talking Canon, and I think most of this will still apply, the telecons wouldn't fit the 70-300, they are too long, but a Kenko Pro might and would be almost as good.

You would lose auto focus as the maximum f/number at the long end would be f/8 even with a 1.4x TC.

Quality wouldn't be very good. Obviously the quality of the TC makes a difference, but it's the quality of the mother lens that makes the most difference and while the 70-300 is pretty good, you are maybe asking too much of it.

There's no free lunch with teleconverters :(

I can't speak for Nikon, but if you were talking Canon, and I think most of this will still apply, the telecons wouldn't fit the 70-300, they are too long, but a Kenko Pro might and would be almost as good.

You would lose auto focus as the maximum f/number at the long end would be f/8 even with a 1.4x TC.

Quality wouldn't be very good. Obviously the quality of the TC makes a difference, but it's the quality of the mother lens that makes the most difference and while the 70-300 is pretty good, you are maybe asking too much of it.

There's no free lunch with teleconverters :(
Hoppy, he's talking about the 70-200VR, not the 70-300VR :)

I have a 70-200VR and a Kenko Pro 300 1.4TC and I think the images quality is superb! For around £100 it was a no-brainer for me.

280mm, 1/1600th at f/4.0 ISO200
DSK_1452-2.jpg

Crop
DSK_1452.jpg

Both the 1.4 and 1.7 will work fine with this lens. I can't say I've noticed a drop in image quality. The focus speed 'seems' a bit slower on the 1.7. But I could be imagining that.
I used to have the kenko 1.4 but found that was a bit slower.

Kev.

The Kenko 1.4 Pro DGX obviously has the advantage that it'll work on a wide variety of lenses, including ones that Nikon don't allow their unmodified TCs to mount. If you want to stick with Nikon or go with the 1.7, I believe Fixation will remove the tab.

If you need longer, you need longer so get the 1.7 - most, including many of the 'names', are happy with the trade-off and I suspect more than a few that complain about it are forgetting just how long a lens with a 1.7 TC and DX crop is.

Quality wouldn't be very good...

Not really recommending the combination but Nikons will AF the 70-300VR with the Kenko 1.4 in reasonable light.

IQ - worth trying but make sure you have a stable base.

Sticking a TC on the 70-200 VR is ok and does work but its not as good as on a prime.

The 1.4x will be ok and hardly any degradation of IQ, the 1.7x will loose some IQ and focusing will noticeably slow down but it does work and I have had some good motorsport shots from it. The 2x is not worth it IMHO.

If you want a 1.4x go for the Kenko Pro and not the Nikon - its less than half the price and no noticeable difference in IQ, although the build quality is not as good.

Hoppy, he's talking about the 70-200VR, not the 70-300VR :)

Oh my eyes! What a difference a digit makes. Just ignore me. Sorry to be stupid :D

Kev was you happy with the image?

I was. I truly can't remember if it was as good as the Nikon though. I'm so used to the Nikon that its gone. I suppose I must have wanted better or I wouldn't have changed. Very weird. total mental block... :wacky: :thinking: :nuts:
I have had the occasion with both the Nikons (1.4 and 1.7) that the 70-200mm vr just wont focus. (Very annoying) I take the lens and converter off the camera and put it back on and it usually works then. I've cleaned all the contacts on lens, camera and converters. Still does it sometimes.

Its my only concern about them really. Assuming its not the camera at fault! :eek:

Kev.

Never had that problem and I use TC's a lot! Sounds like a specific problem rather than a general one.

Thanks for the replies. Still unsure on whether to go for the 1.4 or 1.7

There was a nikon 1.4x in the for sale section which was dropped to £180 today (which is now sold). I think i would have went for that. Didnt see it till i got home from work though.

Its a shame i cant test them out to see which id prefer, i doubt the local Jessops would stock them.

Also i shoot handheld (well i have so far) and havent used a monopod. I dont think i intend on doing so either as i quite like shooting handheld. Would 500mm with the 1.7x on a DX be to much for handheld? Would you need a monopod at that focal length?

Justin

I guess its up to you, but I don't shoot more than 200mm without the monopod. My two colleagues are into the belt mounted monopod thing which I can't get the hang of so it is just a question of what you can cope with!

Back