Which to sell?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have just purchased a 5D MKII so I need to sell one of my other cameras. The issue is which one? I have a "Classic" 5D and a 40D both are gripped. I also own a 60mm EF-S lens that if the 40D goes would have to go too. All my other glass is EF. I have a 50mm lens I guess that would cover the 60mm but its not quite the same quality as its the trusty Nifty Fifty. So, do I stay with the old 5D so I have two full framers and bin the 40D and also the 60mm, or stay with the 40D and the 60mm and also the fact that I have a 1.6x crop factor body as a back up?

I really enjoy both cameras so its a tough one.....

Hmmm tough call :thinking:

You've bought a 5DMKII so obviously enjoy full frame. Based on that I think the 40D should be the one to go. You have more that enough pixels in the MKII to make up for loosing the 1.6 crop from the 40D.

FWIW I used to own a 5D & a 30D and always found the mix of 1.6 crop & ff a bit of a pain tbh :shrug:

I'd stick with dual full frame. Less hassle with having two sets of lenses. And using the original as a backup to the MKII would seem like the most sensible thing to do so you get close performance.

I'll throw something else into the pot then, I would sell thge 5D & the 40D and the 60mm macro and buy a s/h 1DMkIII or 1DMkIIn.

This gives you a pro body for when you really need some speed and a bit less AOV and your FF body for when you want ultimate quality.

That is interesting, why was that?

I was just never sure about what lens to use on which body. I have a 24-105 which is perfect for ff then my 100-400 was great on the crop but always seemed to come up a bit short on the 5D. My 10-20 was only suitable for the 30D but the 24-105 was almost as wide at the 24mm end on the 5D :bonk:

I'm much happier now with a 50D & 30D, but then most of what I shoot is wildlife so I appreciate the benefit of the crop sensor

I'll throw something else into the pot then, I would sell thge 5D & the 40D and the 60mm macro and buy a s/h 1DMkIII or 1DMkIIn.

This gives you a pro body for when you really need some speed and a bit less AOV and your FF body for when you want ultimate quality.
There was no need for that....lol. I'm tempted though......NO!!!...must resist......

Seriously though, thanks for the comments I think the 40D is going sadly.

I actually like having both FF and a crop (5D and a 20D) - the 5D as my 'organised landscape/other shoot' camera, and the (less expensive) 20D as a general walkaround. Having a crop body also allows me to use what I think is the best indoor lens Canon produce - the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS :).

I actually like having both FF and a crop (5D and a 20D) - the 5D as my 'organised landscape/other shoot' camera, and the (less expensive) 20D as a general walkaround. Having a crop body also allows me to use what I think is the best indoor lens Canon produce - the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS :).

You see, that was my thinking too, Boy this is a toughie. Ishoot a few different things, mainly weddings.

Back