Which type of tripod head do you prefer?

I had a lightweight manfrotto pistol grip ball head tripod. It didn't cope well with the weight of the camera especially with the 150-600 lens. Legs too thin to use fully extended and grip had to be TIGHT to lock the ball. I got the Manfrotto 055 CF legs only and fitted my spare 3 axis head. OK it weighs around 3kg but that is nothing compared to just how sturdy it is. I now leave the 150-600 at home unless I am going to need it. Makes room in my backpack for flask & bait.

@dcash29 They are intended for cine photographers to support two way pan and tilt heads. Which are otherwise only levelable by adjusting the legs. They have become a favourite for the same purpose when using gimbals and long lenses. Some panographers also use them in stead of adjustable levelers to support large pan heads..

They are rather less useful when using conventional ball heads and three way heads.
But some people find them easier than adjusting tripod legs.

I have only ever used them for cine work.

Last edited:
Thanks Terry.

I'm comparing the Benro GD3WH Precision Geared Head - Manfrotto 3 Way Head Mark II in Adapto with retractable levers - Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head or there is the Flexshooter ball head. Would like to use an acra-swiss 38mm plate
Use on landscapes, macro & wildlife.

Last edited:
What do people think of this device?
Are you asking about experience of this Benro model, OR a more general question on using this type of head for photography?

If the latter, this is part of a system that needs a tripod capable of taking a bowl shaped adaptor that fits into the top of the tripod legs. The half bowl adapter then sits inside this bowl, and a tripod head is screwed into the top of the half bowl adapter. They are normally used with video fluid heads, but they are also an ideal choice for two way heads designed for stills such as the acratech long lens head (which also comes in a panoramic version)

They are common for video work where you use the bowl part to level the tripod head, allowing the video camera to stay level with the horizon as you pan or tilt the camera.

They also work well for stills, but there is no fine adjustment of the head height other than changing the length of the tripod legs or adjusting the angle the legs are set at.

Like the Uniqball head mentioned earlier they have the advantage of being a universal head, good for video, or long lens still photography, but also for general stills (and a telescope, if into birdwatching). But not all tripods will take the half bowl adaptor (if this is the case, you can buy a levelling head instead

Although originally set up for a telescope and video, I now use a set up like this for most of my stills photography. The damping of the video head allows for very precise vertical and horizontal positioning of the camera for landscape as well as easy panning for bird photography.

This video gives a good overview

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei8XYK5Cz-k&t=353s

Ive seen the video. I was specifically asking about the Bembo type as I do not wish to purchase a new tripod.

I also wish to flip between landscape/portrait without fuss.

Last edited:
Ive seen the video. I was specifically asking about the Bembo type as I do not wish to purchase a new tripod.

I also wish to flip between landscape/portrait without fuss.
The bowls and half bowl adaptors are standards across different makes of tripod, so this Benro half bowl adaptor will fit any tripod fitted with a 100mm bowl. Equally, a Benro tripod with a 100mm bowl, will work with any 100mm half bowl adapter. So if you have watched the video, every thing will work the same way.

I've no experience of any Benro products so not any help with this specific adapter.

Regardless of head, I find quick release head and an L bracket the quickest way to switch between landscape and portrait.

Thanks Terry.

I'm comparing the Benro GD3WH Precision Geared Head - 3 Way Head Mark II in Adapto with retractable levers - Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head or there is the Flexshooter ball head. Would like to use an acra-swiss 38mm plate

From my point of view it is just added weight if you are using a three way head. As they are so easy to level up them over. But using a leveller does mean you are starting from a level, but it is another step to do. If you were using a gimbal it would be near essential.

The bowls and half bowl adaptors are standards across different makes of tripod, so this Benro half bowl adaptor will fit any tripod fitted with a 100mm bowl. Equally, a Benro tripod with a 100mm bowl, will work with any 100mm half bowl adapter. So if you have watched the video, every thing will work the same way.

I've no experience of any Benro products so not any help with this specific adapter.

Regardless of head, I find quick release head and an L bracket the quickest way to switch between landscape and portrait.
Not only quicker but also gets a far better balance. I now leave an
L bracket permanently attached.

Not only quicker but also gets a far better balance. I now leave an
L bracket permanently attached.

It also means that the camera stays close to the same position compared to turning it on its side using the head. An essential accessory for me.

So what am I missing when AR states the Flexshooter is easy to level.
I only see one bubble on the outer ball. How is the inner ball levelled?

Thanks Terry.

I'm comparing the Benro GD3WH Precision Geared Head - 3 Way Head Mark II in Adapto with retractable levers - Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head or there is the Flexshooter ball head. Would like to use an acra-swiss 38mm plate
I have a GD3WH and am very pleased with it. It's lighter than the Manfrotto 410 and has Arca/Swiss compatibility. I can't find any reference to a Mk II model.

So what am I missing when AR states the Flexshooter is easy to level.
I only see one bubble on the outer ball. How is the inner ball levelled?

The inner ball is only two way, i.e. it only tilts and pans (like a video head). Once you level the outer ball, the inner ball is trapped level by the outer ball. It takes a little getting used to, as you initially try to use it like a conventional ball head.

It's tricky to use for close up work as getting the camera into position tends to need a lot of toing and froing between the outer ball and inner ball to get the camera into position, but you get used to it

I've got more heads than tripos (I think :whistle:) so I've tried most things and ball heads have come on a long way, I just got one of these and it is really good
(you can find the same thing on amazon and ebay)

It has a smooth movement and the friction adjusts very gradually, there is no movement when you lock it. It has a separate base lock and rotation so you can pan without loosing the level, it also has separate top rotation if you feel the need. It is a reasonably weight and size.

Can we round it off to £50 posted ?
I have a GD3WH and am very pleased with it. It's lighter than the Manfrotto 410 and has Arca/Swiss compatibility. I can't find any reference to a Mk II model.
Edited original post.

Last edited:
The inner ball is only two way, i.e. it only tilts and pans (like a video head). Once you level the outer ball, the inner ball is trapped level by the outer ball. It takes a little getting used to, as you initially try to use it like a conventional ball head.

It's tricky to use for close up work as getting the camera into position tends to need a lot of toing and froing between the outer ball and inner ball to get the camera into position, but you get used to it
Therefore if it tilts when the outer ball is locked, it can be unlevel.

Therefore if it tilts when the outer ball is locked, it can be unlevel.

No, because the outer ball stops the inner ball from moving away from being parallel with the horizon. It will be tilted down but the horizon stays level.

However, as you pan and tilt with the inner ball, although the horizon stays "level", it doesn't stay in the same position in the frame, so it isn't suitable for panoramas

I have used a Manfrotto 55b for at least 20 years with a Benbow B&S head and a Manfrotto quick release shoe (takes the large hexagonal QR Plate) Solid as a rock and the weight of the tripod sometimes is a bit much now - but I ain't giving it up.

Geared head here although I do have one tripod with a ballhead.

When shooting LF, if after the camera is levelled on all its axis, any further adjustments are purely made on the camera ( rise, fall, shift etc), then a ballhead is fine.
If the camera itself has to be moved then keeping everything level / squared is quite awkward , hence I much prefer a geared head.

Edited original post.
Ah yes, that's better. Just referring to it as the MH804 II would have been better still. It's not a geared head so not really comparable. I have one buried somewhere in a sales section that I can bump up if you're interested.

It depends on what I'm shooting.

I find a pistol grip (ball head variant, mines a Slik AF2100) to be ideal for routine stuff, even easier to use than a normal ball head. Squeeze the grip & you can adjust position as soon as you release it locks in place.
When using really long/heavy lenses I prefer either a fluid head (a Gitzo G2380 designed for professional video) or a gimbal (I've only got the budget Beike BK45). I've not yet tried fitting my larger telescopes on the gimbal (they may be too wide) but they work well on the fluid head holding steady at over 6000mm equivalent.

I suspect a geared head might work well for macro, but they're too expensive for me to try out & the pistol grip is fine till getting to extreme magnifications.
Personally I don't like normal 3 way heads, quite slow to adjust but completely lacking in precision. I'll accept slow if it gives precision like in a geared head otherwise it's just a pain.

My 5x4 monorail has only been used direct on the tripod legs. I guess the heavy weight Manfrotto 3 way head that came with my 058B might work for this if I ever want to use it vertically.

For astro stuff I can't afford a fancy computer controlled head so have to make do with a motorised EQ3.

Last edited:

I find a pistol grip (ball head variant, mines a Slik AF2100) to be ideal for routine stuff, even easier to use than a normal ball head. Squeeze the grip & you can adjust position as soon as you release it locks in place.
I took a fancy for a Manfrotto 322RC grip ball head and got one to try out. Manfrotto suggest it is suitable for up to 5kg, but I find it nowhere near rigid enough for that and have gone back to the 460G I mentioned earlier in the thread (#5). The 460G also doesn't take up so much room, and it's that little bit lighter as well.

Last edited:
In an ideal world I'd have a geared head and ball head to suit the occasion but I generally use ball heads now. The only thing I would say is that a bad ball head is totally infuriating. I put up with that on lightweight travel tripods where I'm prepared to accept a little compromise and droop but the rest of the time, it needs to have a big ball diameter 40mm+ or I find them frustrating. The difference between a bad ballhead and a good ballhead is massive in terms of user experience. Unfortunately so is the cost.

Geared heads are great if not travelling too far but they are pretty bulky and slow to set up, which admittedly is not always a problem. I would quite like to try the Benro geared head. Seems usefully lighter than my old Manfrotto 410.

What do people think of this device?

I've been interested in trying a set up like this since seeing it on a Thomas Heaton video some time ago. It looks great for panos, maybe a little clumsy for more general stuff. My thoughts are that the bowl insert part (in your link) should ideally have a longer stem to adjust it to get it away from the apex of legs to make it easier to adjust. For landscape photography you'd probably then just need a head with tilt and rotate only. The trouble is, those are actually bloody expensive. There isn't that much to them on the face of it and I've even thought about making my own but as it stand it makes for quite an expensive set up and I'd definitely want to try before I buy. And actually it's worth mentioning that you need a bowl tripod in the first place which usually means a sizable investment too.

My thoughts are that the bowl insert part (in your link) should ideally have a longer stem to adjust it to get it away from the apex of legs to make it easier to adjust. For landscape photography you'd probably then just need a head with tilt and rotate only.

The handles (stems) come in different lengths, and as I said in my earlier post, the fittings are universal, you just need to get the right size as they come in 100mm (and I think 150mm) 75mm and 60mm. The reason for the short stem is so you can splay the legs for low-level shots, without the locking handle digging into the ground.

An alternative that doesn't need a special tripod is just a leveling base which can work with any tripod. e.g.

https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/levelling_bases/leofoto_lb60n_levelling_base/29762_p.html

But there are various makes available. I had an Acratech one, and although it seemed well made, it moved off level when you tightened it up.

I don't think the levelling bases are as quick to use as the bowl type head, but more universal to move from tripod to tripod and they do the job (and a bit lighter than the half bowl and bowl adaptor set up.

The handles (stems) come in different lengths, and as I said in my earlier post, the fittings are universal, you just need to get the right size as they come in 100mm (and I think 150mm) 75mm and 60mm. The reason for the short stem is so you can splay the legs for low-level shots, without the locking handle digging into the ground.

An alternative that doesn't need a special tripod is just a leveling base which can work with any tripod. e.g.

https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/levelling_bases/leofoto_lb60n_levelling_base/29762_p.html

But there are various makes available. I had an Acratech one, and although it seemed well made, it moved off level when you tightened it up.

I don't think the levelling bases are as quick to use as the bowl type head, but more universal to move from tripod to tripod and they do the job (and a bit lighter than the half bowl and bowl adaptor set up.

Yep. The bowl type ones are better mechanically balanced. The bit you hold for adjusting them is countering the cameras weight rather than adding to it. I would think that makes them much easier to finesse the position.

Yep. The bowl type ones are better mechanically balanced. The bit you hold for adjusting them is countering the cameras weight rather than adding to it. I would think that makes them much easier to finesse the position.
I'm certainly finding the change to using a bowl + semi-fluid video head for stills to work extremely well. I just want to switch out the Manfrotto half bowl adaptor for the Gitzo one so I can see the spirit level a bit easier.

When using really long/heavy lenses I prefer either a fluid head (a Gitzo G2380 designed for professional video) or a gimbal (I've only got the budget Beike BK45). I've not yet tried fitting my larger telescopes on the gimbal (they may be too wide) but they work well on the fluid head holding steady at over 6000mm equivalent.

I suspect a geared head might work well for macro, but they're too expensive for me to try out & the pistol grip is fine till getting to extreme magnifications.
Personally I don't like normal 3 way heads, quite slow to adjust but completely lacking in precision. I'll accept slow if it gives precision like in a geared head otherwise it's just a pain.

My 5x4 monorail has only been used direct on the tripod legs. I guess the heavy weight Manfrotto 3 way head that came with my 058B might work for this if I ever want to use it vertically.

For astro stuff I can't afford a fancy computer controlled head so have to make do with a motorised EQ3.
I took a fancy for a Manfrotto 322RC grip ball head and got one to try out. Manfrotto suggest it is suitable for up to 5kg, but I find it nowhere near rigid enough for that and have gone back to the 460G I mentioned earlier in the thread (#5). The 460G also doesn't take up so much room, and it's that little bit lighter as well.
Had one but didnt get on with it, plus wanted to match up with my arca-swiss mount

Looks a bit restrictive for what I want?

I've been interested in trying a set up like this since seeing it on a Thomas Heaton video some time ago. It looks great for panos, maybe a little clumsy for more general stuff. My thoughts are that the bowl insert part (in your link) should ideally have a longer stem to adjust it to get it away from the apex of legs to make it easier to adjust. For landscape photography you'd probably then just need a head with tilt and rotate only. The trouble is, those are actually bloody expensive. There isn't that much to them on the face of it and I've even thought about making my own but as it stand it makes for quite an expensive set up and I'd definitely want to try before I buy. And actually it's worth mentioning that you need a bowl tripod in the first place which usually means a sizable investment too.
Thomas uses a tripod bowl, I assumed the one I mentioned would fit on any tripod and do the same thing?

I will look at the Manfrotto 3 Way Tripod Head Mark II in Adapto with retractable levers, Uniqball and flexshooter as they seem to give most flexibility up to now?

Last edited:
Thomas uses a tripod bowl, I assumed the one I mentioned would fit on any tripod and do the same thing?

The one you linked to will only fit on any tripods with a 100mm half bowl fitting (which replaces the tripod flat top plate). Tripods that have this capability (and at that size) tend to be relatively rare and expensive. I assumed from your earlier post that your existing Benro had a 100mm top plate as you seemed only interested in the bowel adapter.

Most tripods come with a centre column, but tripods designed for a bowl levelling systems just come with "big hole" where the centre column would normally fit.

You then have a choice of buying just a flat plate that clamps into the hole, which you can screw a tripod head onto directly; a plate that contains a centre column or a "half bowl" that is clamped into the hole, and then the half bowl adaptor slides into the bowl. The half bowl adaptor you linked to would also need a half bowl for it to fit into, and a suitably sized removable top plate on your existing tripod.

Fairly obviously, the diameter of the tripod top needs to exceed the diameter of the bowl, and this leads to a bulky tripod.

They also tend to be expensive as this capability is usually only available in professional grade tripods, hence gad-westy's comments on cost.

What model of Benro tripod do you have?

Edit: I've just had a look and see that some of the Benro models already come with a half bowl, so you may well only need the half bowl adapter.

Last edited:
My tripods got balls :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
There you go Graham. i thought the link fitted on top of the tripod, so its no use.

There you go Graham. i thought the link fitted on top of the tripod, so its no use.
You could always use a levelling base like the one I linked to earlier.

and then use it with a video head or something like the Acratech long lens head. It also gives you a bit of extra height and is transferrable to any tripod. Not really needed of course if you go with a three way geared head or flexshooter/uniqball type head.

I will have to think about it Graham, all these add-ons mount up.
and then use it with a video head or something like the Acratech long lens head. It also gives you a bit of extra height and is transferrable to any tripod. Not really needed of course if you go with a three way geared head.
I can see it still being some use, I know how annoying it is to level up tripod legs when on uneven ground.

I will have to think about it Graham, all these add-ons mount up.
I can see it still being some use, I know how annoying it is to level up tripod legs when on uneven ground.
Except, that, unless you are doing video or panoramas, if you are using a geared or ball type head you can level the camera with the head, you don't need to use the tripod legs. The levelling bases normally only have about 15 degrees of adjusment, so only good for fine adjustment and the sort of the thing the tripod head could normally do on its own.

Not interested in video or pano's and now I dont think a levelling head is any good for me.
Its looking like some kind of ball head I think

Last edited:
Its looking like some kind of ballhead as a geared head can really only be adjusted one way

What do you mean by only adjusted one way. The good geared heads can have the gears dis-engaged, the head moved into position quickly and then the gears re-engaged for fine adjustments. But you do of course need to adjust each of the three axes separately.

I find them easier to use than a ball head, most of the time, as you don't accidentally adjust the camera levelling while adjusting one of the other axes. But a ball head is much faster to use if you are chasing insects or something like that, the levelling issue is minor if the head is well damped, and generally they are less bulky to carry.

Ball heads also tend to be less convenient when you want to extreme angles of tilt, even though they have the slot to take the ball head stem it's never in the right position and you need to rotate the head into the right position before being able to get sufficient amount of tilt.

Having said that a good ball head is still a good general purpose tool, and all the different heads have pluses and minuses. In terms of ball heads, I like the Uniqball/Flexshooter ball heads, but they are pricey and a bit fussy to use.

What do you mean by only adjusted one way. The good geared heads can have the gears dis-engaged, the head moved into position quickly and then the gears re-engaged for fine adjustments. But you do of course need to adjust each of the three axes separately.
yeah I edited that (y)
Maybe its a non geared head, were you can leave the pan adjustment loose and steer with the vertical adjuster?
Or its some suitable ball head
Thanks for your views..

Back