Whipsnade_3_-_Jan_08_369_Tiger_2.jpg

Don't think he wanted his picture laken! :LOL:

good shots Ladybird(y)
I didn't make it as far as the tigers today

Cracking shots LB.
I think Ian is saving his :LOL:
I was amazed just how powerful they looked. Here's one of mine,

12th_January_2008_Whipsnade_155a.jpg

Get stuff LB, looks like you had a good time there and got some great shots too (y)

Thanks everybody :) i deliberately left it dark thought it gave it more atmosphere, perhaps i was wrong lol :)

Couple more
Hello Darling, Im home :)
tiger2.jpg

This is 600 with 2x TC fitted, disappointed i cropped its chin :(
tiger5.jpg

Think ill have to disappoint people re the pics lol got quite a few that looked better on the screen than they did on here :(

Already some very nice one's on here, well done everyone. Although taking loads of tiger pics, not quite got anything that was sharp enough.

Still waiting for the one somebody got with the tiger jumping over the water

I got one Jas, but its not very good :crying:

IAN!!!!!!!!! :bat:

I just knew you'd trump me! :p :p :p :D

Beautifull shots everyone.
I was the same as Jas, took loads but none came out well :(

Ian, what happened to the one with his tongue out, I take it that was one of the ones that looked better on the screen ;)

nice shots everyone, been looking through the threads and it looks like you had a good day out (y)

Amazing pictures everyone, shame I couldn't make it now :(

excellent shots Ian, despite your comments!! (y)

Originally Posted by birdy961
Ian, what happened to the one with his tongue out, I take it that was one of the ones that looked better on the screen

It was a little soft

Ian, if you call that soft, mine were positively mushy which is why they are not on here.

:eek: some real crackers here, well done everyone :clap:

So, just for Jas, I will oblige with a leaping cat....

First the water was considered...

tiger11.jpg

then, having missed him jumping onto the rock, I got him balancing on it [already on another thread, but shows the story ;)]

WGI_7234sml.jpg

Then it was time to head back to the shed....

tiger21.jpg

tiger31.jpg

I have cropped about a 1/4 off these from original, a little sharpen and thats it, as they came off camera otherwise.

Gorgeous LL! :clap:

Caught his leap very well. Managed to freeze him :clap:
Better than mine.

LL thanks for posting those, I think they are my favourites of all of the shots I have seen from the visit.

I have three very similar to yours, but with only a fraction of the sharpness so given I was using a 2.8 aperture for a fast shutter speed, that makes your capture all the more impressive.

Fantastic shots.

I have three very similar to yours, but with only a fraction of the sharpness so given I was using a 2.8 aperture for a fast shutter speed

Rather than edit my previous post, after going back to check my pics I realised that having used a couple of different lenses, I did get two very different sets of results in sharpness:

1st pic with D200 and Sigma 28-300
2192329303_0e6beff2c3_o.jpg

Had to really up the contrast and also apply two lots of sharpening. Also a couple of annoying artefacts i.e. fence on the left and a twig on the right on the composition.

2nd pic D300 with Nikkor 80-200 at 200mm.
2192328741_8fc2996027_o.jpg

All of my sharpest pics on the day were with my Nikkor which you would expect so will be leaving the 28-300 at home unless I can shoot with very mid sized apertures. This is not a complaint about Sigma lenses, just showed me it wasn't the right one under those conditions.

My normal zoom is a sigma 70-300 Jas and I have discovered that it is quite sharp at 200mm [aps between f5.6 and f8], but the sharpness drops dramaticaaly as you go out to 300mm - its taken me nearly 2 years to work this out mind, but at least now I know I can work within that remit....and will have to until I can afford the beast I took on saturday :(

LL - what did you shoot with on the day then?

Some really nice shots in that collection.

LL - what did you shoot with on the day then?

I rented a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR from calumet...and had to hand it back this morning :( Mind you, I have booked it again for a karate tournament in february to try it under totally different circumstances - indoors, low light, action stuff.

I rented a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR from calumet...and had to hand it back this morning Mind you, I have booked it again for a karate tournament in february to try it under totally different circumstances - indoors, low light, action stuff.

Thanks LL.

I have heard it's an excellent lens indoors too, I guess the VR will really help too.

Back