Whipsnade zoo - baby giraffe

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
This baby giraffe was a few weeks old (I think) when I visited Whipsnade Zoo a few weeks ago. She was a lovely model, stood right by me next to the enclosure so I managed to get some nice shots (I think!).

Such a poser
View attachment 23093

Heavily shopped image just the hide.
View attachment 23091

I thought her horns were really interesting
View attachment 23092

She got tired and sat down for a bit
View attachment 23094

Any comments on how I can improve these in Photoshop or take better ones next time would be much appreciated. I'm pretty beginner so I might be a bit heavy handed with them. Cheers!

She certainly is a willing model (I think it's a she at least) and you've got some sharp, well exposed shots.
I'm not a fan of the close ups (#2 & 3), or the angle of the last one, but the first is a good clean shot, just needing a little more room around it (y)

I'm not a fan of the close up's either - I'd be ok with the angle in the last if there was a bit of eye contact. I think the first is the best - shame you've clipped the whiskers.

Thanks both for your comments, I'll take your comments on board for next time!

Its all been said, so I'll just say #1 for me as well.
And if you lighten the eye up, there should be a nice reflection in there as well :)

yes the first one is a nice portrait as said just needs a bit more space
the last one does need to be taken from much lower down but sometimes its not easy to get low enough

Thanks for the comments all.

Cobra - when you say lighten how would you do that? Would increasing brightness not mean I lost some of deep tones in the eye?

LCpete yes I was struggling with her sitting down near a fence so I had to go up to get her without it in shot! One of the difficulties with zoos I guess.

Just a suggestion thats all, but you can either run it over with a dodge tool
or use a selection tool for the eye so just that lightens.
Not sure what software you have so it may not be possible.

I have access to Photoshop but have very little experience. I can try those tools and see what it turns out though, thanks for the suggestion.

I just had a quick play, with the dodge tool.
There isn't as much detail as I thought TBH.
But it does "liven" the eye up slightly.

In that case I won't try too much but I'll have a look tomorrow and practice my skills to see if I can bring a bit more out of it.

Back