Whipsnade

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
I rented a 70-200 f4 IS and went to Whipsnade. These are a few of the shots from the day, any comments appreciated:

1:

EuropeanGreyWolf3.jpg

2:

EuropeanGreyWolf6.jpg

3:

Giraffe.jpg

4:

Tiger2.jpg

5:

AmericanBuffalo.jpg

6 (so cute!):

Critter1.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

Play with the levels to give them a little more punch, especially the giraffe eye.

1, 2 & 4 are nothing special. Shot at 200mm? That's the problem with safari park places, unless you've got a really good zoom you can't get close enough.

3 would be nice with a better DOF, but you might be suprised how much it comes out with levels and a bit of sharpening. Saying that, it's too tight a crop and doesn't really convey anything expect 'extreme close up'

5 is a bit of an odd crop, and again your DOF is just a little too tight.

You're right about 6, very cute. I'd have cropped a little tighter, seems to be a lot of dead space above the little critter.

Thanks for sharing

I really like the close up of the Giraffe's eye.

Out of interest. Where did you hire the lens from?

Thanks for the comments Breaker, all good learning. Was my 1st time above the kit lenses 55mm. I like the giraffe's eye as is though tbh; horses for courses and all that. Will try playing around when I get a chance to see if I prefer it as you suggest.

Snake Man - Hired from lensesforhire.co.uk, £35 for a week. I live close enough to pick-up & drop-off as well, so save on delivery. Bargain & good service.

Mike

Snake Man - Hired from lensesforhire.co.uk, £35 for a week. I live close enough to pick-up & drop-off as well, so save on delivery. Bargain & good service.

Mike

Heard nothing but good things about them. Hopefully they will start supplying Nikon lenses soon. Had a hard time finding anyone reliable to hire from. My local Calumet don't and won't stock the lenses I need and the other two I have found don't bother getting back to you when you have made an inquiry.

Ah, I wondered what you did with the lens!

I like #1, but a bit of PP (levels, sharpening) will make it better. It's tons better than #2 because the fence just screams "zoo" whereas in #1 that's not apparent.

I think #3 would have been better a bit more side-on, so that (a) you could see more of his eye and (b) the shallow DOF would be less of an issue. Again, a bit of PP will help.

#4 would be better without the tree in the background. #5 is cropped too tight. #6 is cute and would be benefit from a square crop, plus a bit of PP.

Incidentally, I would have thought 200mm on a 400D would be adequate for a zoo, but it seems from some of these (#1,2,4) that a bit more reach would have been beneficial. I have some ideas about that... ;)

Back