Whisky, anyone?

Edit My Images
Yes
I want to get a better understanding of how the Nikon TTL (or generally) flash system works and have been looking at attending the lighting course that nikon run, so thought I'd have a play round with my SB900 this evening and try out various flash speeds and off camera flash and took a few shots of a glass of whisky. The aim I had in mind was to capture the splash as I dropped an ice cube in to the glass - cannot say I was happy with my first attempt but here is 1 that I was slightly pleased with. The reflection was added on PSE12.

Whisky Anyone? by Pro_Clicks, on Flickr

I'm going to have another go at this, possibly adding a 2nd flash to the right (on this one flash was to the left and I used a white card to on the right to reflect the light back, but would love to see some examples of both images and set ups from others on similar images.

Can't comment on the lighting etc. but would suggest using a tea solution as a replacement for the whisky. Otherwise you're going to waste an awful lot with the splashes!

That the reflection is such a distance from the bottom of the glass makes it appear as it the glass is hovering in mid-air.
The colour of the liquid also looks a tad dark for scotch.

Can't comment on the lighting etc. but would suggest using a tea solution as a replacement for the whisky. Otherwise you're going to waste an awful lot with the splashes!

Ha ha......good thinking!
That the reflection is such a distance from the bottom of the glass makes it appear as it the glass is hovering in mid-air.
The colour of the liquid also looks a tad dark for scotch.

I see what you mean - had the same thought myself. TBH, the reflection was an after thought and i think the image itself looks OK.

Works for me! Although as a whiskey fan I would strongly advise the use of tea!!

There is a small drop just on the left edge which is driving me nuts and says "clone me".

Lighting looks fine to me.

Well, as I don't want to be responsible for driving you nuts, so here is a version of the image with the drop cloned out :)

PRO_1128-6 by Pro_Clicks, on Flickr

That's absolutely terrible. You definitely would have spilt/lost some whiskey :(

Nice shot though.

Back