Critique Whitby after dark

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a great day meeting up with guys off a local photography FB page. We popped into a couple of places in North Yorkshire before heading to Whitby to get some fish n chips and night shots when its less crowded. Always pretty..
1. Scaling waterfall
DSC_0009 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
2. Runswick Bay
DSC_0031 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
3. Whitby steps
DSC_0053 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
4. Whitby views
DSC_0067 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
5. Whitby Abbey
DSC_0077 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
6. Whitby Streets
DSC_0085 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
7. Whitby Closing time
DSC_0086 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

A good selection, a couple (2 & 7) look like they could be straightened. I do like the shot from the gravestones of the Abbey and the low angle of the cobbled street scene.

I love the Abbey shots and the streets one. I presume you added some flash on the gravestones?

For me personally, 6 is the most successful. I also like 4, but would perhaps crop to a 5x4 ratio. If you could clone out what seems to be flare, it would improve the shot no end.

I do like 3 but there seems to be something going on with the chimney at the left and I am not sure what it is? Other than that it is nicely composed.

For me the second seems to be leaning off, and perhaps lacks light. The last seems to also be leaning off, but that is easily sorted.

The larger resolution versions on Flickr seem to have outlines on them almost like HDR's so overall, or my taste, they look like a little too much post processing has been applied, but certainly a nice set.

Love the graveyard one.

Out of interest, was a particular technique (such as HDR) used for number 3? there seems to be some fringing along the edge of the chimney on the left hand side of the frame.

Love the graveyard one.

Out of interest, was a particular technique (such as HDR) used for number 3? there seems to be some fringing along the edge of the chimney on the left hand side of the frame.

No, just Lightroom PP. I'm not very good at it so theres probably something causing it.

Back