Critique Whitby Goth weekend 2018

Very cool work. captures and renditions, Jason! (y)(y):cool:

• Very effective Whitby shots Jason :clap:........number 2 great sinister pic.......but at my age number 3 would discourage me from ever going to Whitby again.:wideyed:

Very nice images. I think this is more difficult to do than people think. Most people are happy to pose and wear some amazing outfits but it can be difficult trying to find clean backgrounds.
As you've asked for critique, the only one I'm not so keen upon, is the last one. I find those white figures for displaying the necklaces on, and the shop lighting too distracting. It's quite a bright background generally and it is competing with the main subject.

I'm guessing the tight crops are to control the backgrounds.
Over all I think you've done very well. Was it your first visit?

Thanks for the honesty. Yes it was my first Goth weekend shoot and first at taking "people" photos. You're right. it is a difficult task, jostling with all of the other photographers and crowds and passers by. It was difficult to get the subject to actually look at you as everyone was pulling them in all directions. Again, with backgrounds I have had to crop a lot of people out. The reason the last one is a bit bright is I actually forgot my camera was set on Bracketing (3) from my last outing and this was the +ve exposure. With a bit more time and practice, I'm sure I could bring the brightness down and blur some of the background in PS.

I've been to the goth weekend may times to watch on in amazement, but have never tried to photograph it. I can totally appreciate the difficultly though, its really not an easy environment, but suitably an interesting one!

Back