White spot on sensor after pointing at sun.

to my way of thinking it would take a very long exposure time to burn the sensor or shutter ,plus i thought these days the shutters are a alloy blade ,it might have been possible with cloth shutters in the days of 35mm film but not now .so it looks like a sensor problem the d7100 has no anti-aliasing filter in front of it so its possible that its been affected .send it off to nikon for checking .
this camera put me off nikons entirely to many niggly little faults for my liking .

will be watching the outcome of this thread with interest .

If you take the faulty images the OP has posted so far and open them as layers in a single image, you can see that in most of them the spot doesn't quite align with the other images... ie. it's not the same pixels affected from shot to shot. Hmmmmm.....

If you take the faulty images the OP has posted so far and open them as layers in a single image, you can see that in most of them the spot doesn't quite align with the other images... ie. it's not the same pixels affected from shot to shot. Hmmmmm.....
Wow. Great analysis.

So it must be the shutter...

I found this (mighty surprising) blog post from another D7100 user just last month that may be worth following up by the OP

http://helenogbourn.com/2014/03/15/fixed-last/

Hello there folks :) It’s been a whole month since I last blogged, during which time I’ve been pestering various people to try and get my camera fixed and returned to me!

Since I was last here, Nikon accepted that I didn’t cause the damage and they agreed to foot the cost for the repair – very good news :) They seem to think that sunlight blew the holes in the shutter while I was using a fast lens which is an uncommon and quite bizarre fault. Had I been stood pointing it at the sun for ages it would be a bit more understandable, but I was just taking snapshots on a sunny day. Ah well – it’s fixed and working and I can soon get back to business.

Her previous post describing the symptoms

http://helenogbourn.com/2014/02/16/oh-hello/

It started about 4 weeks ago when I was taking photos at a local nature reserve and all of a sudden two bright white dots started to appear on the images. My camera went off to be repaired at Nikon and they confirmed that there are two holes in the shutter :/ They only gave an example reason of how this may have happened and suggested it was due to sensor cleaning. The explanation also arrived with a quote of over £150 to get it fixed. I’ve contested this as I haven’t cleaned the sensor (I’m too scared to touch anything inside the camera!!) and have sent them before and after images taken within minutes, during which time I wouldn’t have had chance to do any damage. I fail to see how I have caused the fault just by taking photos and I’m still waiting for further information.

Last edited:
Sorry not sure if it's been mention. If you were using live view you might have burnt the sensor. As live view opens the shutter to project the image on the screen.

Where did you purchase it from? (was it new?)
What `parts`? (seems a long wait)

Where did you purchase it from? (was it new?)
What `parts`? (seems a long wait)
I am really not comfortable saying that I bought grey market, because everyone will propably say that this is my own fault. But anyways, I got it new from portusdigital.com. At the moment (July 2013) it was £735. I am not aware of what "parts" are missing, but I am eager to get my camera back :(

No problem Mark, I just wondered if it was a private sale & they were fobbing you off. At least you're in direct contact with the seller. :cool:

No problem Mark, I just wondered if it was a private sale & they were fobbing you off. At least you're in direct contact with the seller. :cool:
I really hope that everything turns out alright. Anyway, they have done a great job, they got me interested in photography :) Before owning D7100 I used D60 before it reached 38k actuations on it's shutter and eventually stopped.
Anyway, at the time when I get update from them I will pass it on.

The camera was fixed at no cost and the seller has shipped it back to me on 10 June 2014. I have laid my hands on it few days ago, it works as new. Unfortunately I haven't got any explanation or any documentation from the repair agent.

The camera was fixed at no cost and the seller has shipped it back to me on 10 June 2014. I have laid my hands on it few days ago, it works as new. Unfortunately I haven't got any explanation or any documentation from the repair agent.

That both great news and bloody annoying as I'm intrigued as to the fault :bang: glad your camera is fully functional again though (y)

That's great news, so glad you managed to get it sorted

Would you recommend the company you initially purchased your DSLR from then ?

Really would have loved to have known what the issue was, but the most important thing is that it's fixed now :)

Have fun shooting!

One to throw back at at all the grey market haters anyway! It doesn't always end up in tears.
Glad its sorted.

One to throw back at at all the grey market haters anyway! It doesn't always end up in tears.
Glad its sorted.
That's great news, so glad you managed to get it sorted

Would you recommend the company you initially purchased your DSLR from then ?

Really would have loved to have known what the issue was, but the most important thing is that it's fixed now :)

Have fun shooting!

Hi,

I was really stressed that I used grey import shop to purchase the body. In the end, when it got sorted, I am glad that I managed to save few hundreds and invest that money towards lenses.

I hate that Iam not being paid to say that, but after it got sorted, i bought from portus d800 and totaly recommend it.

Back