Why are photographers taken for such fools?

I can get them on eBay from china for a fiver each. Still overpriced in my opinion but a heck of a lot better than this.

I'm about to order some of these myself given 90% of my photography is beach based, for which the shorter spikes supplied by Benro are worse than useless.

don't be offended but it sounds like you don't know what your talking about when it come to metal
take it as being true what i said I'm an engineer :woot:

Yadda yadda yadda 6mm rod at a length at the bottom of the tripod legs will increase vibration to make the tripod pointless. It won't break and if under too much load it will just bend. I am not an engineer but I neither BS when I am wrong.

Last edited:
Incidentally regarding the £600 to £1100 for a tripod - what brand are you thinking of and where are you buying them?
Gitzo (systematic 3 or systematic 5). The thread is about Gitzo. And no, I don't have one :)

Yadda yadda yadda 6mm rod at a length at the bottom of the tripod legs will increase vibration to make the tripod pointless. It won't break and if under too much load it will just bend. I am not an engineer but I neither BS when I am wrong.

Just how much load do you put on your tripod :LOL:

Gitzo (systematic 3 or systematic 5). The thread is about Gitzo. And no, I don't have one :)

The threads not really about Gitzo, just the extraordinary prices charged for accessories in general.

Gitzo certainly aren't the only ones that charge silly money for the most basic items, they just happened to be the product I was looking for.

Last edited:
The threads not really about Gitzo, just the extraordinary prices charged for accessories in general.
Thank you. It happens with everything, though, not just photography. But the more dedicated the activity/hobby/profession and the desirability for the brand the more the price can be hiked (as you figured out about Hi-Fi power cables). But if someone wants an expensive Swiss watch or the original spiked feet for their tripod (or both) I would not begrudge them or ask for or expect a reasonable explanation. I am all for it if it makes people happy(ier).

Well, if you were the fellow who cashed in his Euromillions ticket today for the £51.7 million, I doubt any of these prices will worry you ever again.....:p

A couple of hours on my "tea break" on evening at work, I could spin those up on the lathe out of brass.

you can write some b***S***
so the spike manufacturers make spikes to make the tripod legs vibrate more :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's been forged from fairy dust, burnt in and cryogenically dipped, so must be worth it :woot:
my 6 year old daughter makes fairy dust from things she finds in the garden. I will stop her throwing it all back in the sandpit now and sell it to Gitzo, I would then be able to afford some of their leg extensions and a quick release plate...

Just my little 2p on rip off and fools with cameras and hifi's and too much money.

Years ago I spent my days staring at faulty kit and oscilloscopes and unless you've looked at electronic circuits in this way you'd probably not believe the effect that a piece of wire or even the shape of a track or its routing can have on a signal. You have to start at the beginning and the very best switch mode power supplies are big heavy beasts but the best of the best do their job and they do it well but the vast majority of devices in peoples homes don't have these big beasts they have crappy little psu's and sometimes rank bad design from the psu and on up. For example I used to do some work for a company which made components for several high end hifi manufacturers and some of the designs were almost laughable, and were talking about expensive high end kit here. If you want a pure unmangled feed on through you have to start at the beginning and continue that philosophy through the whole device and on to the next and yes that may as well start at the mains plug. Don't believe it? Go and scope it and see :D

There is of course the question of if a human can hear the differences :D but us with cameras have similar debates but instead of hearing seemingly impossible differences we see them.

My point is that these almost laughable things can make a difference and even though it may not be a real world difference I'm not really in favour of ridiculing it. Best just to leave it to those with obsessive interest and deep pockets.

Just my little 2p on rip off and fools with cameras and hifi's and too much money.

Years ago I spent my days staring at faulty kit and oscilloscopes and unless you've looked at electronic circuits in this way you'd probably not believe the effect that a piece of wire or even the shape of a track or its routing can have on a signal. You have to start at the beginning and the very best switch mode power supplies are big heavy beasts but the best of the best do their job and they do it well but the vast majority of devices in peoples homes don't have these big beasts they have crappy little psu's and sometimes rank bad design from the psu and on up. For example I used to do some work for a company which made components for several high end hifi manufacturers and some of the designs were almost laughable, and were talking about expensive high end kit here. If you want a pure unmangled feed on through you have to start at the beginning and continue that philosophy through the whole device and on to the next and yes that may as well start at the mains plug. Don't believe it? Go and scope it and see :D

There is of course the question of if a human can hear the differences :D but us with cameras have similar debates but instead of hearing seemingly impossible differences we see them.

My point is that these almost laughable things can make a difference and even though it may not be a real world difference I'm not really in favour of ridiculing it. Best just to leave it to those with obsessive interest and deep pockets.

what you say may very well be true when it comes to power supplies and analog audio, but how do you justify a £8k Ethernet cable or a £300 HDMI cable. They are digital and carry 0's and 1's that either get there or they don't. The data is verified at the destination with a checkbit and if it's not correct it's sent again.

If a standard Ethernet cable is good enough for the majority of major networks across the world, what on earth makes the audiophiles think they need a cable costing £8k. Surely the companies that market these cables are illegally misrepresenting the benefits.

what you say may very well be true when it comes to power supplies and analog audio, but how do you justify a £8k Ethernet cable or a £300 HDMI cable. They are digital and carry 0's and 1's that either get there or they don't. The data is verified at the destination with a checkbit and if it's not correct it's sent again.

If a standard Ethernet cable is good enough for the majority of major networks across the world, what on earth makes the audiophiles think they need a cable costing £8k. Surely the companies that market these cables are illegally misrepresenting the benefits.

I don't where to start with that. What I say is true in that little things make a measurable and observable difference on the test bench but note what I said about the real world. I could go on and on and spend a couple of thousand words on this and on the implications of one or zero digital processing but I think it's worth instead just accepting that many of the people and companies in this are extremely genuine and not selling you snake oil.

There are companies out there ripping you off and I could name some and there are companies getting it wrong with good intentions because they don't have the skills to translate their intent into a product that matches and I could name some of those too but there are also people and companies doing what they say. It's just up to you and me to buy into it or decide that we're just as well shopping at Poundland.

I love the 'counterfeit warning' on the Audioquest site: http://www.audioquest.com/beware-of-counterfeits/

'These counterfeits DO NOT meet AudioQuest quality standards and in fact, often turn out to be nothing more than common hardware store-grade cables hidden beneath an attempt to match our braid patterns and plugs.'

Perish the thought.

And these audio Ethernet cables are directional don't you know....I'd love to see the test showing that.

Pushes into mud? Grips on hard surfaces is more likely - ice for example. If you need one and it breaks in the field, that's a shoot potentially wrecked and a day's earnings (or possibly more) down the drain alongside the PITA factor of having to source a new one. If the spikes on my speaker stands are anything to go by, the "real" ones for the tripod will be hardened and properly sharp.
Well provided only 1 breaks the remaining 2 should hold your tripod on the glacier.
You could always temper the cheap ones yourself. Heat until they start to change colour. Straw yellow is 230 degrees which should do for something like a chisel. Then plunge into water. If you keep heating at 320 they will be blue. Tempering at this heat will make them harder but brittle.

I noticed somewhere a set of short titanium spikes. €150 + likely postage. Too many cheapskates here :)

those are used and "missing some parts"

They are a bit pricey too! Nearly 3 times as much as my Gitzo (short) spikes cost and that included 3 spikes, 6 ribber feet (two different sizes), a pretty spanner, lower leg protectors and they were brand new too.........

I can get them on eBay from china for a fiver each. Still overpriced in my opinion but a heck of a lot better than this.
I was working at nuclear research center risø during part of the dismantling. In a big bassin we kept big part that had been contaminated, some aeroplane engines etc. Among theese also some shiny new machine parts fresh from factory made from cheap Steel imported from china. The steel made it in but during export of the parts it turned out to be contaminated radioactive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Back