Why do you hate HDR?

princeclan

Suspended / Banned
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Why do people hate HDR so much?

Surely this is just another way to express your creativity. Yes ive seen some that are very over the top but most i must say i have thought are brilliant. And what the eye captures anyway.

Matt

I think HDR can be used very well. There's some great HDR but then there's this:

Staff Edit - 3rd parties photo removed. - Don't link and crit others peoples work if they haven't asked for it and especially if they are not here to defend it.

Because I can't get the hang of it :bang::LOL: seriously I don't mind most of it but some of it just seems over cooked to me, thats just a personal pref thing. :)

I think HDR can be used very well. There's some great HDR but then there's this:
Staff Edit - 3rd parties photo removed.

lol , yeah that is pretty awful.

I personally think HDR is brilliant used properly as it intrerprits what the eye caprtures anyway as no camera can do that.

Matt

:agree: with Welly

When done subtlety it can look very good, but alas there are also large amounts of bad examples out there

Think the same can be said about any effect, some like it some don't. I love subtle use of HDR to bring out the shadow details that the camera could not capture and make the image more as I saw it.

My personal hate is the use of borders people use to 'frame' images, yuck (but again some folks like this).

It CAN look good, if done tastefully and well, but as welly said... it is a very overdone (though just once is overdone..) thing to massively and truly hideously realise that you've got a shockingly boring or lame photo, and then HDR it to hell and back, in the process making it just.... amazingly ugly.

I don't like it so I don't look at it, same as I don't look at pictures of football, cricket, motor racing or silky water!!

Because it always causes arguments on these here forums :|

Each to their own. Personally i think it's a technique which suits interior architecture very well, although i'm not too keen when used for landscape photos.

HDRs can be useful in professional interior photography. Otherwise they mostly look awful. Another 'great' example is a headshot HDR with ultrawideangle lens. There are ways around it, including graduated filters and proper lighting techniques. I particularly hate it when people do HDRs just for the sake of it.

I photograph old buildings mostly internal and external, I have played around with HDR and like some of the subtle effects but hate them overcooked. It's a great tool for capturing the mood of a building.

I don't hate or dislike HDR, it just happens that the majority of HDR images that I see aren't very good....

I think it depends on how it is used as opposed to what for, you can use if subtlely or you can make is obviousl it has been used. I took this a little while ago and used HDR to to brighten up some of the dark areas.

3393968054_9df68a8552.jpg

Useful tool for capturing some of the detail that digital sensors cannot. Don't much like it for the sake of it, especially 'lazy' ones that have just been banged through photomatix with halos on everything.

Because the people who can use it properly with restraint rarely show their work and all we see is the Photomatix first-timers who slide everything to maximum.

I like what several HDR-heads on here do*–*Pete MC being one – but it's such an extreme process, especially when used by people who don't know where to start with it, that it's bound to create conflict.

HDR is cool. It's just a shame that for every good HDR image out there, there are a hundred horrible ones. I liken the use of HDR to the use of makeup on women. A little can go a long way, but a lot just looks hideous and unnatural.

I hate HDR the way most people use it - to destroy a perfectly good scene.

Because the people who can use it properly with restraint rarely show their work and all we see is the Photomatix first-timers who slide everything to maximum.

I like what several HDR-heads on here do*–*Pete MC being one – but it's such an extreme process, especially when used by people who don't know where to start with it, that it's bound to create conflict.

I would beg to differ slightly, people that use it with restraint and properly often show their work, you just don't realise you are looking at HDR! It can also be used very effectively as an artistic tool, such as seen by peeps like forbidden biker, jimmy lemon, petemc, etc etc and it looks stunning. However, what most people sadly think of is the overblown stuff that 'some' might think is amazing, but personally I find vomit inducing :puke:

I think others have said it already.
Theres pretty much two schools of HDR, theres the subtle increased tonal range versions, and the in your face "I'm a HDR" it seems to be mostly the later people dislike.
I kind of like both versions, but not too keen on the really OTT versions.

I tend to use HDR to bring out detail in a flat sky or detail in a dark area for example

New-NR-building-2-BW-reduced.jpg

or

Hexham-Abbey-reduced.jpg

but overall I think its just down to personal choice.

Each to their own I say.

just dave....thanks for that 'love the clicky linkys!!' :LOL:
i didnt even know htere was a process to make ** pics look like this. ive always wanted to know how to get the effect coz it looks great on certain photos, but just thought u had to be clever with a camera for that!!
however looking at the tutorials....that sort of things is way over my head at the mo!!!
very cool though!

I love my HDR but only for the explores I do..

What I do hate about HDR is the nuclear crayon effect and loads of Halos.

I'd be interested to know what people think about the HDR I use in my gallery, is it classed as overcooked?!

Cheers
G

It's like any digital manipulation - less if often more. Insensitive use of HDR - with everything cranked to the max - is often where people start when they're new to the technique. However, it quickly gets rather tedious once you've seen it used a lot. It might impress friends and family, but experienced photographers are likely to be somewhat less admiring. In 5-10 years time, HDR photos will start to look rather old-hat if it's applied too heavily. Probably the best approach is to take it to the point where someone has to wonder "is that HDR or isn't it?" and no further. The exceptions are generally where the subject matter makes the picture interesting anyway, and it's not the HDR itself which is the focal point, used to 'pep-up' a rather workaday subject.

Back