Why has my camera done this?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a Canon RAW image file. Opened in Windows.

What the hell???? All my other pics are fine though.

Capture-30_zps57330423.png

Strange as PS opens it looking broken too...

But Windows Explorer window preview shows it fine

winCapture_zps8629b9d4.png

Last edited:
Unless you have the correct codec windows photo viewer can't open RAW files as far as I know. Try opening it in another program (Do you have photoshop or lightroom, for example?)

EDIT: Just saw you changed your post saying photoshop can't open it either. Forget my post :)

Last edited:
Corrupt card?

I'd guess its not the card - the file appears to have been corrupted after you copied it to your PC. The reason I think this is because the explorer preview is fine which would suggest the file was fine when that was generated.

As to why the file may have become corrupted, the most common reason is because 'something bad' happened while the file was being written, for example the system or program crashing while the file is being saved. The best protection against this is regular backups so that you can at least go back to the original.

Last edited:
It may still be the card or have happened in camera - the Explorer preview will almost certainly be showing the embedded jpeg preview, which is generated by the camera and embedded in the raw when you take the photo.

the thumbnail is made when the raw file is saved, u might be able to extract it

The file itself can be deleted, but I don't want this happening again on a more important image.

try the card on another machine then atleast this points to the card and not the machine. me personally i would have said busted card, but try reading the RAW image straight of the card

Back