Why move to full frame and then crop?

raider2727

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Why do so many people move to full frame cameras and then spend hours croping the photos it produces.?
Is it just me or does that actually make sense to anyone?

I guess because it still has more pixels left than shooting on a crop sensor and then cropping that....

stew

For the same reason you'd want to crop pics taken on a crop sensor SLR, 35mm film SLR or any other camera - it can improve composition.

A hi-res full-frame sensor can give you more scope for cropping, as the cropped image will still have enough resolution to be enlarged.

A.

Because we can!

I guess because it still has more pixels left than shooting on a crop sensor and then cropping that....

stew

eh???:thinking:

If I have a full frame 12mp and crop to 6mp, and I have a crop sensor 12mp and crop to 6mp is the same isn't it? 6mp left, just a different field of view assuming the same lens was used???

I'm thinking the OP means cropping to get back to the same field of view as would be had with the cropped sensor - in which case the cropped version would be better as it has more pixels (forgetting the ISO range and potential for noise issue that is)

DD

lol, it depends on what you have photographed Dave.

Imagine you have a cropped sensor and I have a full frame and we each have a 50mm standard on.

You will have to stand further back than me to get the same photograph. Imagine we now each have a photograph of two boxes and decide to crop it down to just one box. My 12mp is now possibly 6mp but your 6mp is only 3.

It really depends on the circumstances of the photograph

stew

lol, it depends on what you have photographed Dave.

Imagine you have a cropped sensor and I have a full frame and we each have a 50mm standard on.

You will have to stand further back than me to get the same photograph. Imagine we now each have a photograph of two boxes and decide to crop it down to just one box. My 12mp is now possibly 6mp but your 6mp is only 3.

It really depends on the circumstances of the photograph

stew

Soz mate - but if we both have 12mp sensors and the same image in our viewfinders (as I'm further back using the same focal length), then if you crop it to 6mp and I crop mine to 6mp we'll still have the same image and the same number of pixels

If we stand together with the same focal length, then you'll have to crop your image to 8mp to be the same as mine, hence mine will be better quality

:)

DD

.....full frame sensors produce higher quality images in terms of noise, and colour reproduction. There is no substitute

Soz mate - but if we both have 12mp sensors and the same image in our viewfinders (as I'm further back using the same focal length), then if you crop it to 6mp and I crop mine to 6mp we'll still have the same image and the same number of pixels

If we stand together with the same focal length, then you'll have to crop your image to 8mp to be the same as mine, hence mine will be better quality

:)

DD

not so sure Dave...are you using a 1.3 or a 1.6 crop sensor :):)

As has been said, it doesn't just come down to a pixel issue, full-frame offers other advantages in certain situations, in noise handling etc.

Full frame is just alot better than cropped sensor. in my eyes anyway.

all sound replies.
full frame is better and is not only a matter of focal distance

just buy a another lens to get closer if it bothers you.:LOL:

I don't buy into this full frame is better malarky :boxer::popcorn:

I don't buy into this full frame is better malarky :boxer::popcorn:

I think you've just not looked at it hard enough then...

Back