Wide angle Lens @ 28mm or do i go lower?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I have a very nice Canon 28-135mm IS USM Lens which covers most of what i need although i do feel that i need to either go lower or go with a 28mm prime.

Why Prime? I am 'into' old SLR camera lenses attached onto my 40D with an adapter as the lenses are usually of very high quality and very low prices and i can get a good 28mm f 2.8 lens and adapter for less than £50. Ok it's manual focus but hey for that price!!! For that money 28mm seems to be the lowest i can get without spending loads!

So the question is: Would a prime at 28mm be better than my zoom at 28mm (it's nearest end)?

Also can you recommend a good lens at between 10 and 28mm (zoom or prime) for landscapes. Budget £200-£300.

Many thanks

A second hand 17-40mm f4.

I have one on my full frame cameras and I love it!

If you don't need f2.8 @17mm then that would be my choice. :)

Yep, good recommendation! Not seen one for sale in a while although i think there was one recently. I'll add it to my list of possibles!

Thanks

You may be lucky enough to find a canon or tamron 24mm or wider, manual focus but if your happy with that no problems.

yes a prime at 28mm would be sharper (and maybe faster) than the zoom

but 28mm on crop isnt v wide I use 17 on crop for wide :D

Yeah i wish there were more affordable 17mm or 18mm lenses.

I would consider 28mm for use on Full-Frame as wide, on a crop-sensor it isn't wide enough IMO.

The 18-55 kit lens are pretty cheap, and a lot better than many give them credit for, I saw a comparrison somewhere and stopped down a stop or two there was nothing much between the kit and a very much dearer L lens.

with the IS version I take it

there are lots of wide-zooms out there
tamron, sigma, the canon 10-22 would do the trick for you but it's not that cheap
the sigma 12-20 too. those specs are slightly wrong I think. not 2.8 though but do you need that? friend of mine I think, likes his tokina 17mm prime on a 5D for landscapes. that would be wide enough

jessops are doing the sigma 24 -70 f2.8 ex dg macro for £229.
another alternative is the Tamron 17 - 50 F2.8 around about the £240 mark.

Have a look at Zenitar for cheapness. I was given a Zenitar 16mm 2.8 but apart from a quick couple of test shots a while ago I haven't gotten around to playing with it yet, so you'll have to do some research on whether the real world results will be acceptable to you. On ebay, around the £125 area.

Back