Wide-angle Portraits - Comic Con Preparation

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
So I didn't go to Comic Con last year, I didn't want to repeat the previous years efforts - even though I was very happy with the output, it just seemed boring to do so. If you missed them, here's a flickr link
https://www.flickr.com/gp/62198876@N02/t9Qz43

So this year, I'm changing it up a little....

Louise by dancook1982, on Flickr

A lot of cosplay is cartoony/cute and I think this top down wide angle look might work well.

Here's an even more exaggerated look ..

13177300_10157174614755227_1346796443887994927_n.jpg

The photos are taken in and around the busy halls of the Excel centre. I will be using a high shutter speed and narrow aperture to help remove the background of bustling people, whilst also helping to account for holding the camera one handed whilst I hold a flash modifier in the other.

Equipment setup is as follows

13151945_10157174220945227_8076178391581798618_n.jpg

Originally I was going to use this 22inch kacey beauty dish, I will be using the Godox Wistro 360

13221036_10157169274760227_1011072607918855621_n.jpg

Tonight I trialed these two, and found the left option to be much more fun use due to the much lighter construct.

13177721_10157174220950227_8476461839860297126_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'll wave if I see you there (it'll be a miracle, given the number of people). Personally, I'm just hoping not to screw up as badly as I did last year, and just get some shots I'm happy with which isolate the subject as well as possible.

Ad360 with the folding beauty dish softbox is the option I went with at York, easy to be carrying most of the day. I was shooting more moody type but I think your idea of the wider angle from above will work really well with the right costumes.

I look forward to seeing the results.

I'm looking forward to the results. A wide angle for freaky portraits is about the only vaguely affordable thing left on my shopping list.

ISTR that you initially didn't get on with the folding dish / softbox thing?

Yes, I had a connection with my beauty dish and i didn't want to let it go :)

In a test photoshoot with Louise, I was looking to see how the light differed between them, i might have even asked what the TP audience thought...
But I stopped caring about the minor difference of light as soon as I felt how much more freedom I had to experiment with positions.

Less work, more fun..

(the shots above were both the folding one)

Hi Dan. Great stuff nice that you let us see your set up, being there and using it like you do is another skill set altogether :)

Are the images in the link from this year with this set up ?

Gaz

Hi Dan. Great stuff nice that you let us see your set up, being there and using it like you do is another skill set altogether :)

Are the images in the link from this year with this set up ?

Gaz

Cheers Gaz,

The images in the link are from May 2015, this years comic con is this coming weekend.

Last years setup was A7S with 35mm 1.4 Distagon, two x Canon 600ex-rt + Beauty Dish

Previous to that I've used 85mm and 5dm3.

By comparison I will be going wider with focal length, closer for effect and have a much lighter modifier in the offhand - and hopefully more reliable experience - in past sometimes have problems with flashes not firing. But using Godox 360 this time and it's not failed me so far. (oh and SF-40 for fill)

in past sometimes have problems with flashes not firing. But using Godox 360 this time and it's not failed me so far. (oh and SF-40 for fill)

Thanks for the indepth reply Dan.

Will the flash ( 360 ) be connected to the camera via ettl cord as the above images look like it would be obviously the other flash in the hotshoe as above. If so I was wondering why it may not have fired in the past.

Gaz

Thanks for the indepth reply Dan.

Will the flash ( 360 ) be connected to the camera via ettl cord as the above images look like it would be obviously the other flash in the hotshoe as above. If so I was wondering why it may not have fired in the past.

Gaz

In the past I was using the 600EX-RT wireless system connected to a YN-E3-RT (Yongnuo) (the Canon remote trigger system didn't work with the Sony iirc.. I had both) - and apart from having to juggle three sets of batteries, I just had times when it stopped working and it was not obvious to me why..

The Godox 360 has it's own remote which I will attach to the camera via the TTL cable as in a photo above. The Godox will also last all day and have a faster recycle time, especially since I got the Y cable to attach it to both outputs on the battery. The SL-40 will be directly on the camera, no wireless, and I've worked out the kinks in the config of the Leica Camera flash setup - so it's been rock solid since.

In the past I was using the 600EX-RT wireless system connected to a YN-E3-RT (Yongnuo) (the Canon remote trigger system didn't work with the Sony iirc.. I had both) - and apart from having to juggle three sets of batteries, I just had times when it stopped working and it was not obvious to me why..

The Godox 360 has it's own remote which I will attach to the camera via the TTL cable as in a photo above. The Godox will also last all day and have a faster recycle time, especially since I got the Y cable to attach it to both outputs on the battery. The SL-40 will be directly on the camera, no wireless, and I've worked out the kinks in the config of the Leica Camera flash setup - so it's been rock solid since.
All sounds a tad techie but I get it and more importantly you do :)

Have fun !

Gaz

Back