Wideangle zoom for a D40?

Name
Des
Edit My Images
Yes
I think I know most of the possible candidates and have yet to decide if I can afford one but my question is: should I narrow the list of possibilities to the lenses that autofocus on the D40 or is that not such an issue on the very wide angle lenses?

Any tips from current wide, or should that be super-wide, lens users? Do you use autofocus, would you miss it if you didn't have it?

Cheers!

Super wide ? I'd go for Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8, will auto focus on the D40 if it has the built in motor ( I may have one for sale that will A/F on your D40 very soon.....watch this space ) . Ultra Wide I'd go for Sigma 10-20 , again will auto focus on your D40.

Thanks for the advice but what about the issue of autofocus or not on these lenses. Is it worth having?

If you don't mind manual focusing, then it shouldn't matter. Are you likely to upgrade your camera body in the near(ish) future? If so, possibly worth just getting the lens you want, rather than with the motor etc.

Tokina 12-24 gets my vote, about to buy one.

The II version of the Tokina 12-24 has a motor, so it would be ideal for a D40. It's not all that cheap though, you could probably get a gently used Nikon version for the same sort of money as a new Tokina...

Back