Wife and Niece

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
First post so be gentle. I took a few photos of my wife and niece using a speedlight off camera and another behind them on the ground facing up and slightly forward to try and separate them from the background. This was really my first attempt and i know there are definate separation issues but unfortunately i am unsure how to correct this. I will continue to search the web and find out what i can do to improve them. My problem is they are only 4-5 foot from the background and i don't have any room to put anything behind them.

Anyway here they are. There has been nothing done to the photo except cropping.

Last edited:
Hasn't this been posted before? I'm sure I saw this before with replies etc? Maybe I'm losing it :thinking: Having a deja vu!

Anyway, I'm sure a light from behind but high up coming down on their hair will help with seperation and bring out the detail in the hair also :)

Nice fun shots though! (y)

EDIT: Just re-read and I'm wondering why you are cropping. Wouldn't it be better to move forward and retain full resolution?

Last edited:
I thought i might get some replies here Graham as no-one in the lighting section was biting. Actually i was going to ask the mods to move it here but decided to just post it here instead.

Hi Scott,

I would move the light from the floor an aim it down onto the back & top of the heads, this should offer a level of "rim" light with a little lift of the dark hair against a dark back ground, this should allow some background / subject separation.

I have posted a link to show the different positions the lighting can have, the part about hair light is down the page about 2/3 of the way down.

http://www.professionalphotography101.com/portrait_photography/Portrait-photography.html

I did a very swift PP in Photoshop to lift some of the details out, I think you should have no issues getting this straight from the camera with the light higher onto the hair. (If you would like the image I have posted removed please just let me know :) )

adjusted-1.jpg

Thanks Martin. I will have a look at the link and the picture looks great. I really appreciate your advice.

Back