Wild Golden Eagle Day 2

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from yesterday's post, here are some more pics of wild golden eagles from Norway. Different hide, nearer the coast rather than in the mountains so no snow.

1. Angel of death

NR7V9206_Edit.jpg

2. Stringy dinner

NR7V9449_Edit.jpg

3. Showdown

NR7V9459_Edit.jpg

4. The Grim Reaper

NR7V9484_Edit.jpg

5. Portrait

NR7V9557_Edit.jpg

Again, Canon 1D MkII, 500 f/4. ISO was very high as most of this was just after dawn so they've been through Noise Ninja

Paul

Great follow up on yesterdays thread.

All truly fantastic. :clap:

I think they are just great. So is Norway I am sure you will agree?

Although the first four are the most dramatic, with impact in spades, from a photography point of view, I'm drawn to the last one, that stare is maqnetic.

The only nit is the chest feathers, they look a little soft (due to noise reduction?)

Very very good. Patience well rewarded

Brilliant set, very nice indeed (y)
How long did you have to wait for the Eagle to land ?? :shrug:

great set, fantastic :notworthy:

I think they are just great. So is Norway I am sure you will agree?
Absolutely. It's my first time out of Oslo and I've fallen for the place. Can't wait to go back. Tis a touch on the pricey side though!

Although the first four are the most dramatic, with impact in spades, from a photography point of view, I'm drawn to the last one, that stare is maqnetic.

The only nit is the chest feathers, they look a little soft (due to noise reduction?)
I agree Les. I'm actually not sure why. Even the RAW looks a little soft. Could be the tiniest bit of movement from the bird? It's taken at 1/400s at 700mm (500 +1.4) so they can be a bit hit and miss. But, it is ISO1250 and so I reckon the noise reduction could be making it worse. Time to play with masking areas out and have another go.

Is it the Eagle that makes the kill or is the 'food' left out for it?
The bait is actually roadkill and not a victim of the eagle. It was placed near the hide in the dark before the birds woke up...

Brilliant set, very nice indeed (y)
How long did you have to wait for the Eagle to land ?? :shrug:
Thanks. There were twe enounters in the hide that day. We were settled in the hide by 6:30am and the first appearance was at 08:44, so only a couple of hours. Then, it was pretty quiet through the day until the late afternoon. The later ones (4 and 5 in this case) we taken about 16:45 so we had a quiet spell in the middle of the day.

The afternoon stuff was very interesting to watch as the eagle on the deer was a male trying to impress a female - the female stayed away and is the portrait on the cliff top. He was then chased away from the "kill" about 17:20 by a pair of white tailed sea eagles - pictures of them should follow shortly...

Paul

Back