Critique Wild Hare - Extras added

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Closest Hare shot yet, No crop, Feel free to C&C as always :)

Shutter speed was high as I was trying to get the Skylarks dog fighting while waiting for the deer & Hare to show up, then I noticed this Hare running at me, so I nipped into the hedge and rattled a few off, forgetting to slow the shutter a tad :facepalm:

1/4000
ISO 10,000
F5.6
600mm
Affinity Photo edit nothing else

Thank you for looking

More in post #11 and also #27 & #28 ....Sorry :)

Hare close up by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely quality at ISO10000 (y)

Really nice Gav, looks really good for ISO 10,000! Aways a pleasure to watch Hares - I keep coming across them recently but haven't been able to get closer than about 50m away...

Yup, I think you've pretty much nailed the exposure, it's a pretty clean file at that ISO. Did you expose to the right?

Good capture ... he looks ready to go! :)

Lovely clean image Gav, especially at 10,000 iso (y)

Lovely quality at ISO10000 (y)

Really nice Gav, looks really good for ISO 10,000! Aways a pleasure to watch Hares - I keep coming across them recently but haven't been able to get closer than about 50m away...

Yup, I think you've pretty much nailed the exposure, it's a pretty clean file at that ISO. Did you expose to the right?

Very nice

Good capture ... he looks ready to go! :)

Lovely clean image Gav, especially at 10,000 iso (y)

Thanks All!

I've added a spoiler tab with the original RAW image and the histogram image, I think all the green and clean light helped with the noise, I've had other images at this ISO with dark areas and they look like a game of tetris :LOL: if it hadn't of caught me of guard I'd have dropped the SS much much lower to save the ISO.

I got very lucky with this one coming so close :)

@Dale. I used spot metering on the head of the Hare in an attempt to balance the whites and blacks of the ears/head, I'm still playing with a few ways to meter things, I've tried to ETTR with EXP comp on another Hare and lost the whites, still trying to nail everything, hope the info/added images helps

Edit was just to get the colour etc back, the 90D seems to lack the colour and contrast in the RAW file

Gav

Last edited:
Thanks All!

I've added a spoiler tab with the original RAW image and the histogram image, I think all the green and clean light helped with the noise, I've had other images at this ISO with dark areas and they look like a game of tetris :LOL: if it hadn't of caught me of guard I'd have dropped the SS much much lower to save the ISO.

I got very lucky with this one coming so close :)

@Dale. I used spot metering on the head of the Hare in an attempt to balance the whites and blacks of the ears/head, I'm still playing with a few ways to meter things, I've tried to ETTR with EXP comp on another Hare and lost the whites, still trying to nail everything, hope the info/added images helps

Edit was just to get the colour etc back, the 90D seems to lack the colour and contrast in the RAW file

Gav

Looks pretty much spot on, maybe could've pushed it a bit more but I see the ear is starting to blow.

I'd heard RAW files off the 90D can be flat. The 'info' should all be there to be brought out in post though. It seems to be a saturation and contrast thing.

Looks pretty much spot on, maybe could've pushed it a bit more but I see the ear is starting to blow.

I'd heard RAW files off the 90D can be flat. The 'info' should all be there to be brought out in post though. It seems to be a saturation and contrast thing.
I have the 'blinkies' switched on so did a quick test shot and check and then just went with it :LOL:

Glad I'm not the only one then, my 760D puts better colour/contrast matches out then the 90D on RAW

I really am impressed with the quality of these, excellent. :)

Really nice captures Gave , It`s a fantastic feeling having something so wild and edgy approach this close isn`t it ? I love the dew drops in the grass . Me and Stu do it often , but the only real critique , is the two running toward you may have looked better in portrait composition . I would have a look at that composition if they were mine I think . Very well done .

Thank you Mark, there was something very special about this morning, I'm sure it knew I was there but seemed to 'trust?' me and keep coming, paused for a moment before following the field edge round.
I love the dew drops, partly why I go out early rather than late for my photography trips, good point with the composition, I have a little room above them as they have had a tiny crop, I will look again and repost some (y) thank you :)

Dude, I've seen worse pics (my own included) at much lower ISO, these are nice for 10k ISO. My favorite is the first shot of it coming straight at you.

I am impressed Gav and ISO 10,000 too wow - I rarely push mine above 5,000

Les :)

Thanks Les, I often hit 12,600, some work out, some just look a mess
I always select the ISO myself- not a fan of Auto ISO - My Sony a7Riv's are set at 100-5,000 ISO limits and I always shoot manual

Maybe I should go mad and select Auto ISO once in a while- I'm out tomorrow morning to a new area I have as yet not been too ( Private land again- being an EX-Gamekeeper has it's perks ) I'll stick one of the camera's on Auto ISO see how I get on

Les :)

Back