Will Canon even nick Nikon's good ideas?

Have we an answer yet to how you limit the ISO on a 7D as someone suggested could be done, believe a limit of 1600 was used as an example

Had a quick trawl and haven't seen any confirmation
Beats me - I can't work that one out either. :thinking:

Auto ISO not actually being Auto at all in manual mode on the 5d2 has always vexed me, my shooting is predominately in dark clubs and I always use manual aperture and shutter control to ensure I can capture the performers how I want them. A little auto leeway on the iso would make things a tad easier for me.

I suppose it would help if they didn't turn the lights down when the strippers come on Brian. :LOL:

That would be ideal..... maybe then the lighting techs wouldn't be able to drench the performance in red light.........I really really REALLY detest red stage lighting :(

Back to topic though.

Not sure about the 7D, but my 5d2 will restrict the ISO range unless highlight tone priority is enabled.

The 1D still has the best autofocus.

I believe the newer Nikon AF systems are better than the 9 point systems on the 5D and X0D series.

I believe the newer Nikon AF systems are better than the 9 point systems on the 5D and X0D series.

When I first picked up a 5D2 I was amazed at the woefully inadequate wide coverage of the AF system; AF speed was excellent but unless the subject is in the middle of the frame, you are pretty screwed..... just seemed like there wasn't any improvement over the 30D i'd used for several years.

Never had a chance to handle a 1D at focus on any of the stands but have heard great things about it.

Last edited:
When I first picked up a 5D2 I was amazed at the woefully inadequate wide coverage of the AF system; AF speed was excellent but unless the subject is in the middle of the frame, you are pretty screwed..... just seemed like there wasn't any improvement over the 30D i'd used for several years.

Never had a chance to handle a 1D at focus on any of the stands but have heard great things about it.

My main body is a 7D and I quite like it.
I also have use of 1Ds at work and shoot sports with it and I can tell you it really is awsome. Even the shutter release sound it makes its fantastic. I was amazd the first time I held it and used to shoot then did some research and got to know how short the shutter lag on those bodies are. Also it feels fantastically solid and great in hands. Heavy though :).
As far as whether its better or equal to the 7D AF I really cannot pronounce on that, but can just say that its fantastic and fast.

Oh yes, I did miss the focusing point system and all the other bits that the 7D has and for my purposes the 7D has the extra features or should I say different that suits my needs. But I am positive for many the 1D might be the body of choice

I swapped my 7d for a Nikon d3 and the d3 af, I feel is far better but probably similar to a 1d, I find auto ISO on the nikon invaluable and very usefully, you can really concentrate on the image and not worry about slow shutter speeds and camera shake.

Craikeybaby said:

Cool ok. But 7d 2nd best?

Ouch, I just looked up the price of one of those - at £3.5K (if D3s) or £5K (for the x) I would hope it was an upgrade :D

Nikon/Fuji User Coming Through!
Focus, no idea what that is, cant even warrent the idea of it either!
Sounds like one of them sales gimmicks.

Auto ISO, would love to say I use it all the time but in reality, the only time it gets used is in some outdoor sports where I want a fixed apature and shutter speed and let the ISO fluctuate up and down.
WHICH, like I found out at cycling yesterday can also take your eye off the ball, had the 2 settings and it got bright so ISO hit 100 and the shot was just blowing out!

So,,, handy thing to have, but like any automation,,, makes you take your eye off the ball.

jonneymendoza said:
Cool ok. But 7d 2nd best?

In the Canon range I would expect so as the AF features are better than the 9 point basic.

I swapped my 7d for a Nikon d3 and the d3 af, I feel is far better but probably similar to a 1d, I find auto ISO on the nikon invaluable and very usefully, you can really concentrate on the image and not worry about slow shutter speeds and camera shake.

May I ask how long did you use the 7D for?
I find it a bit strange really that you found the 7D AF wasn't that good to the point you swapped it for a Nikon D3. Just wondering, not exactly criticising.
Having said that I really have never experienced a Nikon.

I can tell you though that I have shot insects in flights with the 7D with a relative ease thanks to the AF system it has.

But I fully agree with you regarding Auto ISO. I have at times got so frustrated that often had considered getting rid of the kit and moving to Nikon. You never know, may be one day :),

Auto ISO, would love to say I use it all the time but in reality, the only time it gets used is in some outdoor sports where I want a fixed apature and shutter speed and let the ISO fluctuate up and down.

So,,, handy thing to have, but like any automation,,, makes you take your eye off the ball.

Exactly the occasions I use it also. But the frustration for me comes because I cannot set AUTO ISO and nudge a touch the exposure compensation. My 7D tends to under expose a fraction so I like to always shoot to the right with my histogram well tucked to the right rather than well centred.

I hear that with Nikon you can nudge the exposure compensation even when the ISO is set to AUTO and under M mode.

Have we an answer yet to how you limit the ISO on a 7D as someone suggested could be done, believe a limit of 1600 was used as an example

Had a quick trawl and haven't seen any confirmation

Looks like my mistake. I haven't picked up my camera since I broke my shoulder in February and thought you could do it on both. Checking, its only available on the 1D and not the 7D. Sorry

Ah, okay. Cheers for clearing that up. Still with any luck I'll be getting a 60D soon too :)

Ahem, you may find Pentax are still the innovators...

Agreed that Pentaxes (Pentaces?) have both of these features. I can set my K20 for a high and low ISO limits and not to take a photo until it has focus confirmation. I do not know who inented it though.

Ah, the focus thing appears to be called "Trap Focus"

I found an article on C.Fn III-2 - here - its tied to servo and by the sound of it best left on 0 :)

I have this set on my 7D and it still takes OOF pictures from time to time.

Well I've looked about and believe it or not the 60D can do both the things I was looking for... well sort of, the Max Auto ISO is built in, but trapping can be done with Magic Lantern (and loads more too - some really nice features there), so it appears Canon are just holding back features to fluff out the 7D II. Makes sense for them I guess.

Just a shame ML isn't available on the 7D :(

My point is if Nikon for example does then surely its something that is useful.
That's not a sound argument.

Unless someone can explain to me how the bizarre VR mode on the Nikon 80-400 is useful. For those who aren't acquainted with it, there's a mode whereby the VR doesn't kick in until you FULLY depress the shutter button. The manual says it's for those who "prefer uncompensated [i.e. unstablilised] viewfinder images". Yeah, right.

I have a nice tasty hat here which I will happily eat if anyone can provide a convincing justification for this.

Meanwhile, I know it's off topic when we're talking about Auto ISO and such like, but I'm trying to demonstrate that just because one major manufacturer does something doesn't necessarily mean it's useful.

KM invented wireless flash triggering using the on-board flash. It's not a nikon idea :)

I'm assuming 'trap focus' is different to AF priority mode?

I thought most modern dslrs sort of had an implicit max iso in auto mode as they generally stop at 1600 or 3200 as they're usually the edge of where they get a bit noisy then you have to manually choose a higher one. Or does the 7d behave differently and carry on going up the iso ladder? I can see you could use both at different times.

That's not a sound argument.

Unless someone can explain to me how the bizarre VR mode on the Nikon 80-400 is useful. For those who aren't acquainted with it, there's a mode whereby the VR doesn't kick in until you FULLY depress the shutter button. The manual says it's for those who "prefer uncompensated [i.e. unstablilised] viewfinder images". Yeah, right.

I have a nice tasty hat here which I will happily eat if anyone can provide a convincing justification for this.

Meanwhile, I know it's off topic when we're talking about Auto ISO and such like, but I'm trying to demonstrate that just because one major manufacturer does something doesn't necessarily mean it's useful.

The reason for that is that is that it can be an advantage to see how much wobble there actually is so you can stabilise yourself to a certain degree. I'm sure I read stabilisation was more effective when limited to being only used at image taking time rather than having it used constantly while composing the shot. Says it somewhere in my lumix bridge manual as it has two levels of stabilisation.

I'm assuming 'trap focus' is different to AF priority mode?

Yes it is, in fact it's not an AF 'mode' in the sense that it's deliberately provided. Sports and action photographers discovered trap focusing as a side benefit of the early AF lenses. By pre-focusing on a point on a track (for example) and half pressing the shutter the car effectively took it's own photo as it came into focus.

It only works with manual focusing and in single shot mode. I'd be more than a little surprised if there were any modern DSLRs which didn't still function in this way.

The 7D does go to its maximum (non-expended by a firmware setting) limit.

A quick look at my ISO in Lightroom shows I've taken 220 at ISO 3200 which is pretty bad ropey (and thats the ones I kept)

It only works with manual focusing and in single shot mode. I'd be more than a little surprised if there were any modern DSLRs which didn't still function in this way.

The 7D is one of those, I just went and tested (again), set lens to MF, set camera to M and single shot, half pressed the shutter and got my daughter to walk toward me - the red focus point flashes but no image taken, if I fully press the shutter button then it takes the image, so no trapping on the 7D unless someone can tell me it works in another way.

I cannot vouch for other models however.

Last edited:
The 7D is one of those - I cannot vouch for others however.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying there John? Anyway, it works fine on my 7D and I'm pretty sure on every AF SLR I've ever owned.

Sorry I just edited my post with what I did to make it (not) work - can you explain how you got yours to?

Sorry I just edited my post with what I did to make it (not) work - can you explain how you got yours to?

To get a shot with 'trap focus' you full press, not half. No camera I know of takes a picture in any situation with a half press :)

I don't believe this - I actually checked this yesterday before I posted and I'm pretty sure it was working, but I'm buggered if I can get this working now, so I hope I haven't mislead anyone.

If I sort it out one way or the other I'll post again.Theoretically if the camera is set up for shutter release not being possible without focus being achieved this should work ?

To get a shot with 'trap focus' you full press, not half. No camera I know of takes a picture in any situation with a half press :)

That's correct it should be fully depressed. Typo on my part.

Hmn, when I fully depress it takes a picture - is there some setting I'm missing then?

I've even gone on to trying to make it believe there is no focus (with the lens cap on), but when I whip the cap off the the AF snaps in a takes a piccy - damn the clever 7d!

Last edited:
Hmn, when I fully depress it takes a picture - is there some setting I'm missing then?

I've even gone on to trying to make it believe there is no focus (with the lens cap on), but when I whip the cap off the the AF snaps in a takes a piccy - damn the clever 7d!

Trap focus is just not possible at least on the 7D.
What you are doing is just not trap focus.

There is a setting in the functions of the Menu of the 7D (C.FnIII, Autofocus/Drive, Lens drive when AF impossible, that you make some options for the camera to stop trying to focus if focus is not achieved. So what is happening with you by trying to snap an image while you keep the cap on and being on single shot mode and AF is that the camera tries to focus and as it fails (cap on so too dark and no focus being possible to lock, that would happen in the dark also) it then stops trying to achieve focus.

Change those settings and you will see a different result by trying to shoot with the lens cap on and then removing it when it fails to achieve AF.

This is not trap focus,

Cheers - its funny I raised this once before and they said not possible, then today...

lol, oh well :)

Cheers - its funny I raised this once before and they said not possible, then today...

lol, oh well :)

Not sure if I got your comment wrong or may be you still misunderstood my comment. Trap focus is not possible with canon, at least as far as I know

Sorry, I meant CT thought it was possible so my hopes were raised, sadly it was not to be.

Back