will i overload my plug socket

Name
phil
Edit My Images
No
Moved house and finally just got the computer up and running again, There is just a single socket in the computer corner and am wondering if i will overload if i have the following (been looking at getting an 8 way adapter)

1. Computer tower
2 & 3. 2x 24" monitors
4. NAS
5. External hard drive (not always used/on)
6. Speakers
7. 24" tv
8. Free-view unit

The tv rarely gets put on but i normally leave my computer running all the time so would like to know if i am likely to overload with this lot on?

What you need to do is add up each of the RUNNING wattage of every Item, if it comes to less than 3Kw or 3000 Watts or 13Amps you should be OK.
But if buying a Extension lead check the Rating of the unit, not all are rated at this Wattage, some only up to 1Kw or 5Amps.
Probably all your stuff is less than 1 KW so the smaller size would suit or buy the bigger size and fuse at 5Amps

Voltage x amperage equals wattage, v x a = w

so, 240 volts x .5 amps = 120 watts, that sounds very high for en external drive though, 25 watt would be more expected, are you sure its 0.5a or could it be 0.05a?

Last edited:
The 0.5A is probably the maximum rating of the power supply "plug". It will not take 0.5A when running.
Get a 13A fused 8 way and you should be fine.
PS We are 230v mains supply in the UK now

Last edited:
Your right Kev, I read the post quickly and missed that it was the rating on the supply plug. To get an accurate wattage you will need to get the specs of each item and add them up, but from what you have listed here there is very little or no chance of you overloading your socket or an 8 way lead.

Just been looking at average wattage for various appliances, seems like i have nothing to worry about...

I wouldn't say that.

Oh you mean about the socket :)

The total will be well below 13A and each plug will have its own fuse or protection.

It's not just the loading on a single socket. It's the total load on the ring main. Usually sockets in living rooms etc will be on a different ring main than the kitchen sockets due to kitchen appliances, kettles etc pulling more current. Older houses may only have one ring main for all sockets. Modern houses usually have a minimum of two.

Back