will wearing a watch die out

I wear a polar sports watch! Tracks my heart rate when I wear the chest band! Thin and lightweight and waterproof, everything my phone isn't!

I wear a polar sports watch! Tracks my heart rate when I wear the chest band! Thin and lightweight and waterproof, everything my phone isn't!

very good point, oddly enough when me and the wife go away on holiday, the nice watches get locked away and the missus pink baby G is about all we take. I realy like going away on a holiday and not taking a watch then.

Ooh, nice collection, I see I've some work to do to catch up :) Mixture of orient, seiko, omega and the two plastic things which are great for holidays :)
Where do you go to buy the watch case box thingy? Wouldn't mind one like that. Cheers.

Keith, have a look on Amazon. I got an auto winder from there at about 1/3rd the price I could find the same item locally. Of course, having bought the thing, I find I'm now wearing the "posh" watch enough for the winder to be all but redundant, although it did get used to keep the watch running while we were away. Several other of my watches are solar powered and radio controlled so live on a windowsill where only the window cleaner will see them (and that's me!)

II dont think many people from say 30 downwards wear watches anymore..

I'm 46 and not worn a watch for about 10 years now. Just don't see the point. Just use the phone.

I'm 46 and not worn a watch for about 10 years now. Just don't see the point. Just use the phone.

Unless your phone is permanently in your hand, turning your wrist is still easier.

Unless your phone is permanently in your hand, turning your wrist is still easier.

Well.. can't argue with you there. It's just not been a priority to get another one since I started carrying a phone around. I think that's probably the reason watches are not as common as they used to be.

Well.. can't argue with you there. It's just not been a priority to get another one since I started carrying a phone around. I think that's probably the reason watches are not as common as they used to be.

Now that makes sense.

I haven't worn a watch for the last 6months as the one I've worn for the last 13years died. It still feels weird not having it on my wrist so I think I'll have to get another one.
Despite having a mobile with me most of the time I don't like checking the time on it when with other people as it looks a bit rude (like you're checking for messages/calls rather than talking to the person you're with).

With google gear and Apples iwatch, it'll come back. Retro always does.

I always wear one. I feel naked without it. In fact, one evening I went out naked with just my watch. I didn't bat an eyelid.

Reactions: Nod
I used to wear one, but I have to take it off when I'm working in the lab as it's a pain to clean the ceramic powders out of. Then just stopped wearing it full stop.

I'm rarely in the sort of rush to find out the time that checking my wrist over taking my phone out of my pocket makes any difference.

It used to be that if a watch died I'd be taking it in for a new battery or getting a replacement the next day . . . couldn't live without it.
Since having a mobile phone and usually being places where there's another clock though, it's taken me 6 months to get around to replacing the last one that completely died.

Not so much a case of needing a watch, but I just like wearing one.
It's also far easier to discretely check your wrist when you're in a meeting or with a client than it is to haul a mobile phone out of your pocket :D

I'm a big fan of a watch as a number of people have said they feel its a bit rude to get your phone out to check the time when with people it makes it look like you are not paying attention. Also I rearely carry a phone out of work especially on a weekend, my wife may have one in her bag but thats it, also I am a big fan of tradition and a watch is a very nice piece of that.

I suppose there's a case to be made that using a mobile phone to tell the time is itself 'retro' - it's just a return to the 19th century pocket watch in a slightly different form ;)

I suppose there's a case to be made that using a mobile phone to tell the time is itself 'retro' - it's just a return to the 19th century pocket watch in a slightly different form ;)

But nowhere near as cool!

I recently treated myself to a retro Casio digital watch

I read something interesting (to me anyway) a few years ago about the difference between an abnalogue watch and a digital watch.

Aparently, with a digital watch, people tend to look at it then look again a few seconds later whereas an analogue watch is generally looked at once. The reason given is that when you look at a watch, you don't actually want to know what the time is, you want to know what time it isn't. e.g. if you have an appointment at 10:00, you want to see how much time you have left. That registers in the brain much easier if it is the angle of the watch hands than some numbers which need to be decoded. Five minutes to ten on an analogue watch is easier to decode sub-conciously thah 9:55.

Steve.

Last edited:
Now there's a thought. Bring out a waistcoat with pocket chain for attaching your mobile to. Throw in a monocle for good measure. Bobs your uncle.

Where do you go to buy the watch case box thingy? Wouldn't mind one like that. Cheers.
I got mine from a Chinese ebay seller, there are plenty of them. Quality's okay but I'm looking for a winder case now which is a different level of expense entirely :(

I'm a big fan of a watch as a number of people have said they feel its a bit rude to get your phone out to check the time when with people it makes it look like you are not paying attention. Also I rearely carry a phone out of work especially on a weekend, my wife may have one in her bag but thats it, also I am a big fan of tradition and a watch is a very nice piece of that.
Probably the opposite with me as using your mobile at work is definitely frowned upon! I'd feel pretty lost without it when out and about - most people i know are always checking status updates etc even with other people they know so its kind of become more acceptable to be checking your phone (apart from driving of course)

Watches will be around forever. I'm biased as I collect the odd quality watch. Got it down to one Panerai, one Omega AT and a Tag Aquaracer, as well as a few quality G-Shocks. For me a good quality automatic watch is a feat of engineering genius.

Chris

In some circumstances watches are a status symbol, for example you see someone well dressed with a Rolex or Breitling (other brands are available :p )and you perceive them as being successful, depending on their job, it also instills you to have confidence in them. Just my 2c anyway :)

I bought myself a Steinhart OVM for my last birthday, Absolutely love it (Ignore the green reflection off the TV)

What, the famous Casio bomber watch? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-91W

I have one of those for travelling. Usefully it gains exactly one minute per day :)

Similar ball-park and vintage, it's the A168WA, which has pretty much the same innards I think, but with a stainless strap and chromed resin body, and of course 'ElectroLuminescence'.

So far, it's been keeping perfect time.

Having done a bit of googling, I think I actually had a Casio 83-QS-41 back in the day. I lost it and it was replaced with something like a Casio Marlin W36.

Last edited:
Similar ball-park and vintage, it's the A168WA, which has pretty much the same innards I think, but with a stainless strap and chromed resin body, and of course 'ElectroLuminescence'.

So far, it's been keeping perfect time.

Having done a bit of googling, I think I actually had a Casio 83-QS-41 back in the day. I lost it and it was replaced with something like a Casio Marlin W36.

I think I had something similar made by casio. I used to get men's watches as they had more toys. The women's ones were just boring and only told the time.

I've always worn a watch although, these days, I don't wear one at home as there are enough clocks about that I'd never need to look at my wrist. I do prefer to wear one when I'm out though.

Interestingly, I was having a sort out te oter day and I came across the watch that my parents gave me for my Bar Mitzvah 37 years ago! Sadly, it wasn't in a box so the glass is scatched and the clasp on the sap won't d up but, as it's an automatic watch, I gave it a gentle shake and it appears to be working. Tempted to get the glass replaced and the strap fixed.

View attachment 15185

In some circumstances watches are a status symbol, for example you see someone well dressed with a Rolex or Breitling (other brands are available :p )and you perceive them as being successful

Or a complete **** (insert derogatory term of choice here).

Steve.

Reactions: Nod
Dad's watch (now my "posh" watch) is a Rolex but unless you look at it closely, you can't tell (unless you're a connoisseur). I certainly don't wear it as a status symbol, just because it's a nice, smallish, understated, reasonably accurate way of telling the time.

I've always worn a watch although, these days, I don't wear one at home as there are enough clocks about that I'd never need to look at my wrist. I do prefer to wear one when I'm out though.

Interestingly, I was having a sort out te oter day and I came across the watch that my parents gave me for my Bar Mitzvah 37 years ago! Sadly, it wasn't in a box so the glass is scatched and the clasp on the sap won't d up but, as it's an automatic watch, I gave it a gentle shake and it appears to be working. Tempted to get the glass replaced and the strap fixed.

View attachment 15185
You should definitely get it refurbished, its a lovely watch! Probably worth a fair bit too when back in good condition (although presumably you wouldn't sell it given its history)

Ahem.

Oh dear, sort of inspired by this thread, I seem to have accidentally won a Casio A255 on eBay, which has a stainless body and the same 248 module as my old W36 Marlin. :D

It wasn't described very well, so nobody else was bidding and I got it for 13 quid. Looks to be in fair nick from the pics.

Ahem.

Oh dear, sort of inspired by this thread, I seem to have accidentally won a Casio A255 on eBay, which has a stainless body and the same 248 module as my old W36 Marlin. :D

It wasn't described very well, so nobody else was bidding and I got it for 13 quid. Looks to be in fair nick from the pics.

I think my bomber watch cost £4.50 :) Plus a new strap, obvs, because the supplied one broke the first time I tried to fasten it.

I think a lot of those young people that allegedly don't wear watches will start to wear one when the iWatch is launched.

I always wear a watch

I've an 'outdoorsy' Timex Expedition type thing which I wear all the time and an Omega which I got off my dad which I used to wear all the time but the strap nips me.

Me too, mind you ive been collecting antique and 'dollar' watches for a long time.

yep, I have a thing for fixing them (one of the things I do to relax), my usual carry is a '72 Omega or a more 'disposable' '57 Smiths - have a fair few victorian jobbies - no interest in anything that has a battery

Ahem.

Well, it turned up this morning and it works fine - not so bad for nearly 35 years old. :)

View attachment 15515

Last edited:
Back