Windows 8.1 - the Start button returns....

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/...ng-the-windows-8-vision-with-windows-8-1.aspx

Microsoft said:
Better Mouse and Keyboard Options

PCs today are evolving for a world of mobile computing where people interact with their devices through touch, and we designed Windows 8 for this. But we also recognize there are many non-touch devices in use today – especially in the commercial setting. As such we’ve focused on a number of improvements to ensure easier navigation for people using a mouse and keyboard.

We’ve improved the way you navigate to Start with the mouse by changing the Start “tip” to be the familiar Windows logo. The new tip appears anytime you move the mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen, and is always visible on the taskbar when on the desktop. There are also options to change what the corners do, and options to boot into alternate screens. For example, if you prefer to see the Apps view versus all the tiles, you can choose to have the Start screen go directly to Apps view.

So... they finally recognise 99.9% of people use a computer with a keyboard and mouse...

Last edited:
Just download start8
That's not my point. MS have changed tack back to a "proper" keyboard and mouse I/F and acknowledged they got it a little wrong with the original W8...

Just download start8

That's not my point. MS have changed tack back to a "proper" keyboard and mouse I/F and acknowledged they got it a little wrong with the original W8...

I agree with Andy, you shouldn't have to download anything, it should already be there.

I've known about this U turn for the past few weeks.

:)

It isn't really a u turn, just a button.

Start menu is not returning.

More things will move over each year to metro.

You will have to embrace it.

In the 8 or 9 months I've been using Windows 8, the number of times I have missed the start menu is precisely equal to zero.

You can do virtually everything quicker on Windows 8 than on previous editions of Windows, just no one wants to learn and get used to a slightly different way of doing things.

In the 8 or 9 months I've been using Windows 8, the number of times I have missed the start menu is precisely equal to zero.

You can do virtually everything quicker on Windows 8 than on previous editions of Windows, just no one wants to learn and get used to a slightly different way of doing things.

Exactly!!!

Just download start8

This^^^

Here's my Windows 8 desktop.

click for big

I've had a start menu since day 1.

I'm glad it works fro you. I found it awful... and a nightmare to keep tidy if you have as much crap installed as I have.

Last edited:
Thanks god the start menu is not returning. Using Windows 8 is so much quicker without one.
I run basic computer classes and the stat menu is one thing new users really struggle with is using the start menu, especially one that cascades to 3 or 4 layers so I can understand why Microsoft have ditched the old fashioned start menu.

I run basic computer classes and the stat menu is one thing new users really struggle with is using the start menu,

If you're an idiot perhaps.

I run basic computer classes and the stat menu is one thing new users really struggle with is using the start menu, especially one that cascades to 3 or 4 layers so I can understand why Microsoft have ditched the old fashioned start menu.

Maybe you are not teaching it correctly. Can't blame the tools or subject...

Last edited:
if theyre struggling with the start menu then none of them could of found the shutdown option in windows 8 yet! You press it and get a list of installed apps, what is there to struggle with?

Ah well, i like win8 on a tablet but as a desktop OS interface i find it abysmal. I too got start8 and boot to desktop mode on. Hopefully 8.1 wont disable 3rd party Starts.

Hi David Pookeyhead, I'm obviously not doing my job properly, can you please explain how you would teach someone who had never used a computer before how to use the start menu? I'm always willing to learn from those more knowledgeable than myself.

if theyre struggling with the start menu then none of them could of found the shutdown option in windows 8 yet! You press it and get a list of installed apps, what is there to struggle with?

Ah well, i like win8 on a tablet but as a desktop OS interface i find it abysmal. I too got start8 and boot to desktop mode on. Hopefully 8.1 wont disable 3rd party Starts.

Hopefully it will or we won't progress :)

Shutdown? Hit the power button the laptop/desktop/tablet. Just like every other device :)

Hopefully it will or we won't progress :)

Shutdown? Hit the power button the laptop/desktop/tablet. Just like every other device :)

I don't see it as a lack of progress. I could lob an OSX type theme over windows, it doesn't take away any functionality..

I like some of 8s functionality, I don't like the look and feel. Why shouldn't I be able to reskin it (like people have done to windows for years)? Also shall we mention the classic themes in 7?

Last edited:
I don't see it as a lack of progress. I could lob an OSX type theme over windows, it doesn't take away any functionality..

I like some of 8s functionality, I don't like the look and feel. Why shouldn't I be able to reskin it (like people have done to windows for years)? Also shall we mention the classic themes in 7?

So are you using Metro or avoiding it? What metro apps do you use?

So are you using Metro or avoiding it? What metro apps do you use?

I'm doing neither at the moment, I deleted my vm to free up some space. When 8.1 comes out ill reinstall it, maybe as my main OS at home.

What about my question, why shouldn't I be able to reskin windows? That's one of the many great things about an open OS like windows. Otherwise it'll turn into a locked down platform and become OSX.

I'm doing neither at the moment, I deleted my vm to free up some space. When 8.1 comes out ill reinstall it, maybe as my main OS at home.

What about my question, why shouldn't I be able to reskin windows? That's one of the many great things about an open OS like windows. Otherwise it'll turn into a locked down platform and become OSX.

It isn't the skinning I am against, it is people avoiding Metro. We are. Still paying the price for Vista being so poor and everyone staying on XP. People are stuck in the way of doings things with XP and didn't embrace the new stuff in 7. Now windows 8 is out, they are avoiding the change just like they did with Vista.

People are still stuck on it being touch first and complaining rather than getting stuck in and trying and realising its progress.

Hi Pookeyhead Dave

I'm still waiting for you to tell me how to teach total beginners how to use the old Windows start menu, Your expert knowledge is required here as obviously I have no idea.
How would you teach what appears to some people who have never use a computer before to be a tricky task.

I know you all know the answer but I'm waiting for an answer from Pookeyhead Dave. I bet he's googling like crazy now.

Hi Pookeyhead Dave

I'm still waiting for you to tell me how to teach total beginners how to use the old Windows start menu, Your expert knowledge is required here as obviously I have no idea.
How would you teach what appears to some people who have never use a computer before to be a tricky task.

I know you all know the answer but I'm waiting for an answer from Pookeyhead Dave. I bet he's googling like crazy now.

stop trolling for an argument, youll wreck a perfectly good thread. anyway it wasn't pookey that said about not teaching them correctly..

:shrug:

It isn't the skinning I am against, it is people avoiding Metro. We are. Still paying the price for Vista being so poor and everyone staying on XP. People are stuck in the way of doings things with XP and didn't embrace the new stuff in 7. Now windows 8 is out, they are avoiding the change just like they did with Vista.

People are still stuck on it being touch first and complaining rather than getting stuck in and trying and realising its progress.

there wasn't anything wrong with vista post SP. although I ran v64 on my system (and it was bombproof compared to XP64), we (work) didn't go there because it offered little/nothing over XP for us. support for XP was gradually coming to an end so when 7 came out so that was the logical step.

8 will always have gotten skipped (in a business) because people are still migrating to 7, we must have 20% XP systems off the top of my head. we'll see what 8.1 has to offer but the client retraining is going to be an utter ball ache for most IT depts, it was bad enough trying to help clients with the move from XP to 7...

anyway we digress..

8 is essentially 7 with a new hat and gloves. its the same as booting into media centre over the top of the desktop.. and metro is like "my first start menu". I don't want my desktop to look like a windows phone, it doesn't work for me.

and that's what it boils down to.. choice. there should be the choice to load metro or the "classic" start menu. its got nothing to do with progress.

Last edited:
the tighter integration with Skydrive is a good feature of the updated Windows 8.

There already two buttons in the current version of Windows 8 so I do not see the point of changing that, the current slide away start button allows apace on the task bar for an extra pinned icon.

I do like the customising of the metro background that Windows 8.1 has added. The addition size tiles are a plus also.

Running multiple metro apps will be made easier as the current method does not allow for both apps to run in equal size windows.

I use Windows 8 on a desktop pc with large screen and I love it I am a tease with using the metro desktop as well as using the legacy desktop environment. I will choose not enable the boot to legacy desktop when I install Windows 8.1 upgrade as I can launch a program much easier from the metro desktop.

Many people make out that switching between metro desktop and the legacy desktop is a pain, how can a single click of mouse or one press of a keyboard key be such a difficult task.

Apart from the start button, a total pain is sorting out a microsoft addy before you can install win8!

On saying that, it is very.much faster to use than win7.

A bit harsh :(

You've used the start menu for years and used to it.

I don't think so, no. It's a list... you look up the item you want in a list.. then click it.

Hi Pookeyhead Dave

Sorry I've not been on call 24/7 to answer your questions. Our customer service manager is currently being flogged with a wet towel.

I'm merely baffled by your question. You click the start button, and a list of your installed applications appears... alphabetically.... click the one you want. Yeah... I had to Google that because I've been sitting here wondering how to use the start menu since 1995.. LOL

Apart from the start button, a total pain is sorting out a microsoft addy before you can install win8!

I never had to do that.

Last edited:
Not alphabetical on XP, in order of install unless you manually initiate a sort.

Also do I need to see all the utilities and software I don't directly use?

How about a start menu with just the bits you want and use?

Yes 7 sorted it in most used, but it can take a while to be in the order you want and you can also pin things.

Windows 8 just makes life easier for non tech people and hides so much crap you don't need.

Not alphabetical on XP, in order of install unless you manually initiate a sort.

Granted. Not many home users still on XP though.

Also do I need to see all the utilities and software I don't directly use?

Nope... pin the most common to the start menu, and leave all the rest in "All Programs".

Last edited:
I think you will find there are still a lot of home users on XP.

Yes you can pin, but the tiles work better.

What works best on both 7 and 8 it is hitting the start key, type part if name and hit enter :)

I never had to do that.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's a new thing?

Built a new computer a month ago with Win8 home and it was the first thing it asked when I started the installation.

It's something to do with apps and was a total pain as PC wasn't for me!

I think you will find there are still a lot of home users on XP.

Depends who's survey data you look at.

Yes you can pin, but the tiles work better.

For you perhaps. :) I think the whole Metro interface is a bag of ****.

What works best on both 7 and 8 it is hitting the start key, type part if name and hit enter :)

Yeah, I do that too. The start menu is handy when you're being lazy, chair leaned back... sandwich in hand, and only your mouse hand free :)

Maybe it's a new thing?

Built a new computer a month ago with Win8 home and it was the first thing it asked when I started the installation.

It's something to do with apps and was a total pain as PC wasn't for me!

Did you just ignore it, and click next, or whatever option there was? I remember now.. I just ignored it.

Last edited:
a total pain is sorting out a microsoft addy before you can install win8!
As it said during the install process using a Microsoft account is optional, You can create a local user account should you choose, that is what I did.

You will need to accept it as it is here to stay :)

Well... actually, I don't have to accept it at all. See my screengrab further up the thread.

Install Start8... goodbye Metro. It now boots straight to my desktop with a start menu.

.......l

Did you just ignore it, and click next, or whatever option there was? I remember now.. I just ignored it.[/QUOTE]

No option to ignore so had to make up a virtual person :p

As it said during the install process using a Microsoft account is optional, You can create a local user account should you choose, that is what I did.

It's still a total pain to do all that in order to install an OS!

Back