Windows 8 or wait for 10

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Having sold a lens I'm now in a position to replace my old PC which ran XP. I'm fairly sure what specification I need, but having heard negative reports about Windows 8, I'm wondering whether to buy from a main dealer such as PC world whose PCs all have 8 installed, or to go to a smaller independant who would be able to supply me with Windows 7. Or would I be better waiting for 10?
I don't think I know enough about computers to worry too much about either really, but I would like to know other opinions.
Thanks.

I'd go for 8.1 I know lots hate it but for me it's been rock solid and slightly faster than 7.

Never wait for an operating system. You will probably get a free upgrade buying this close to the release anyway.

OK Steve, thats great, just the sort of information I need.
Merry Christmas and thanks for replying.
Ken

8.1 is better than 7. It pains me to say but having upgraded recently, it's very good.
Windows 10 is now delayed until next year.

Windows 8 is fugly and you need to ditch the useless start page and add a decent menu e.g. Start 8. You also need to do some tweaking to bin the login page etc all of which are pointless on a home PC. Once you have binned the equally useless Charms you essentially have a slightly faster than Win 7 PC with frankly boring looks which resembles Win 3.1. Oh, an an app store and metro programmes not worth using on a PC. So, stick with Win 7 and wait for Win 10.

Window 10 was always a 2015 release.

And for reference I run all 3 OS on 3 different tins, so I am speaking from experience, not regurgitating something I read...:vulcan:

Last edited:
I'd go for 8.1 I know lots hate it but for me it's been rock solid and slightly faster than 7.

Never wait for an operating system. You will probably get a free upgrade buying this close to the release anyway.

As above!

I vaguely recall seeing internet rumours, suggesting that Windows 8.1 users will get the Windows 10 update for free. has anyone else seen the same?

When I bought my laptop, I had the version which allowed me to have a free upgrade to 7, however when it became available, it was indeed free but microsoft wanted £14.00,for delivery. I didn't bother as I do most of my work on the PC, I suspect it will be the same from 8.1 to 10.
Anyway, thanks again for the replies.
Ken

I feel embarrassed to be a windows 8 user.
So many people are unable to use windows 8 without installing those god awful 3rd party start menus., Mac and Linux users are intelligent enough to use their chosen os without the need for a legacy start menu yet many windows users struggle at this simple task It's embarrassing

So many people are unable to use windows 8 without installing those god awful 3rd party start menus., Mac and Linux users are intelligent enough to use their chosen os without the need for a legacy start menu yet many windows users struggle at this simple task It's embarrassing

You are absolutely right. I would have no idea what to do with start menu. A dock and Spotlight search does the job just fine on a mac. Yet somehow windows8 doesn't quite live up to those standards in these areas, and looks like it was made for fairly small tablet - desktop hybrid. While that is hardly a dealbreaker - the lack of UNIX kernel and POSIX standards certainly is.

Unless you want a stable WiFi connection :p

3 macs here and no wifi issues whatsoever :p

Neither of those are faced with a jarring nonsensical interface, although that said the latest Apple stuff is as flat as a pancake, just like Win 8. You also fail to acknowledge WIMP environment is common to them all.

Mac and Linux users aren't given an OS that tries to cater to both desktop and tablet users. If you run Win 8.1 on a desktop and don't need Metro (I don't) then getting a 3rd party Start Menu makes complete sense and improves efficiency. And some like StartIsBack+ certainly are not "god awful". I have both Windows and Mac machines and will pick my tweaked Win 8.1 desktop any day over the others.

I've got Windows 8.1 and I've never been sure what all the moaning was about. I use Windows 7 at work and would say that 8.1 is faster to start up but once running I have no particular preference.

Windows 8 if far more stable than Ubuntu 14.04 could ever be, Ubuntu need the right hardware for perfectly stable operation. With Ubuntu on my laptop neither Bluetooth or the extra buttons on my Logitech mouse would work. I know I could spend hours editing .conf file to try to get them to work but with that and the dependency problems when installing software I gave up.

Windows 8\8.1 has a search tool that is far better and quicker than the Apple finder\spotlight tool whatever they call it, so why some people seem to think a 3rd party start menu is required is beyond me. Nobody moans that their smart phone has no start menu so why do some PC users want to hang onto legacy technologies

I've used windows 8 since day 1 and enjoy using it, it is not perfect but it is better than the Linux or Apple

You also fail to acknowledge WIMP environment
Because I did not want get too geeky.

mac users trolling a windows thread? whatever next..

anyway... 8.1 and boot it straight to desktop if youre really that bothered by the lack of desktop. sure you still get metro as a start button but meh. and as someone else said you'll probably get a free 10 upgrade anyway (i seem to remember reading it will be free for personal - i.e. non business - users).

While that is hardly a dealbreaker - the lack of UNIX kernel and POSIX standards certainly is.
Why?

I use Win 7 & 8.1 and have Cygwin & Msys installed so I have all the benefits of a powerful command line together with a very stable UI - the same (often complex) bash scripts run on Windows as well as Linux systems. I also develop cross platform code (we use Ubuntu & RHEL fro Linux) and bar a few #ifdef's the same code runs on both systems - I even use glib on both. 95% of the code I want to use on Linux is ported to Windows in one shape or other.

In fact, the biggest issues I've had in porting code is adapting the makefiles to the different Linux library trees which exist between RHEL and Ubuntu as I am developing code which is compiled in 32 and 64 bit mode for compatibility. The issues have NOT been in porting to a Windows environment.

But don't let real world experience deter you from an ideological stance ;)

I have no idea what most of you are talking about!! :ty:thanks for the replies anyway

Nobody moans that their smart phone has no start menu so why do some PC users want to hang onto legacy technologies

Because it wasn't a broken or outdated feature that needed to be changed. It needed to be updated, which is what MS finally will be doing with Win 10.

Not everyone wants to use search or remember short-cuts to launch applications efficiently.

Because it wasn't a broken or outdated feature that needed to be changed. It needed to be updated, which is what MS finally will be doing with Win 10.

Not everyone wants to use search or remember short-cuts to launch applications efficiently.

Exactly, plus not everyone has a good memory for names so don't know what to search for. I often have to browse my start menu to find an app I can't remember the name for.

To be fair, I think I would be quite happy with 8.1 if they hadn't made the link between desktop and metro interfaces so broken.

Windows 8 is fugly and you need to ditch the useless start page and add a decent menu e.g. Start 8. You also need to do some tweaking to bin the login page etc all of which are pointless on a home PC. Once you have binned the equally useless Charms you essentially have a slightly faster than Win 7 PC with frankly boring looks which resembles Win 3.1. Oh, an an app store and metro programmes not worth using on a PC. So, stick with Win 7 and wait for Win ....

So you've not bothered to learn it?

Apps is just start, program's, start page is a glorified desktop, or you use the desktop with the usual icons on the desktop. A couple of points to note about where you move the cursor, search bar is there and works well, windows key shortcuts are still the same.

I was a die hard windows 7 fan, but I'm quite liking 8.1. Definitely faster and much more support. Just install the proper apps rather than the full screen metro ones.

That is why Microsoft created 3 locations where shortcuts can be stored, the desktop, the taskbar and the start screen.
I still want to know why PC users are so adamant in keeping the start menu, please explain what is so good about this
th

I have not missed the start menu one little bit as there are better ways to access my applications.
Maybe Linux and Mac users are just more intelligent than most PC users.

It's the drill down to what you want feature which makes infinitely more sense than screens of randomly placed tiles I reckon. I use RHEL on servers at work, Windows 7 on the desktop at work and I have a Macbook Pro 15 at home which I swore at for about 4 weeks before I loaded Windows-7 on it and became productive again.

Linux has its place and the 'Command Line Only' installs in datacentres is a superb feature which makes it rock solid as a server platform. (prevents pointy-clicky tinkering) But Win-7 is still the de-facto corporate desktop of choice with very good reasons. With Win-8 is seemed like M$ tried to make the same OS for phones, tablets and PCs which was never really going to work. Corporates like standards to keep training costs down but that was a step too far, especially since a lot of companies issue Blackberry or iPhone as their devices of choice, not Windows phones.

And I can also tell you (as a former IT Director at a publishing house) that Macs in a corporate environment still don't really work with their terrible thought for supporting non-Mac networks, printers, corporate applications and the ability to enforce standard environments. Until they bite that wee bullet it will remain a niche market product. Trendy it is for sure but beyond (diminishing) leads in the DTP workspace they're not corporate machines. Lovely hardware, no doubt about that but the OS is definitely consumer, not corporate.

And if Win-10 doesn't revert some of this wacky 'tiles for everything' approach the corporate uptake will be just as poor as that on Win-8. Too many companies are sick of the constant cost of re-training staff, simple as that. It makes the licensing issue pale into insignificance.

I still want to know why PC users are so adamant in keeping the start menu,
I don't want or need a full screen to pop up when I press the windows key and start typing to search for a program. It's no quicker, is visually jarring and frustrates the minimalist in me. I don't like Unity under Ubuntu for the same reason.

What's the problem with choice?

I can say what I don't like about start menu without problems, I hate if you miss menu by say 0.3 mm you have to waste time and navigate the start menu all over again, thus wasting time going back to find the icon you originally wanted to click.
I have still yet to hear what is good about the old legacy start menu.

Well in 10 you get both options, hopefully minimising the complaining of people who either don't like change and haven't given 8 a chance or those who have gotten used to the start screen and don't want to go back to the menu.. Win, win situation!

Well you can have both in 8 too - just not by default.

People really shouldn't get so hot under the collar about choice. It's not like there's a break in the Space-Time continuum when someone installs a start button enabler.... although to listen to some, you'd think there was.

Had Win7 and found it very Stable after BOD on WinXP, got Win8 and loved it (sorry Guys, it worked if you let it) just installed Win8.1 and found it such a Mishmash that I would rather have Win8 back.

I've got Windows 8.1 and I've never been sure what all the moaning was about. I use Windows 7 at work and would say that 8.1 is faster to start up but once running I have no particular preference.

Same here

8.1 at home and all is good.

Work (national company) has just gone XP to 7 and it's all a bit meh.

Precisely. Not a lot of change. 7 works on the existing hardware and doesn't require re-training of the whole workforce. But it is supported and patched. That's what companies like 'cos it keeps cost down.

Win 10 is just going to do what they should have done with Win 8, put the tiles into a rollout start menu, so you have the power of the tiles (much better than icons), plus the most used elements of the traditional start menu. Windows 8.1 is pretty good now but 8 was not well thought out.

id have liked 8/8.1 enterprise version at least to have the option to deploy the legacy look via GPO or something.

then we could've taken advantage of the faster OS without the need to teach people the new interface.

I'm fairly OS-agnostic, using OSX, Linux and Windows 8.1.

Personally I like 8.1 - mine is set to boot to desktop, and all the regularly used programs have icons in the taskbar. When I want to use a program that isn't there I hit the win key to open the start menu: all the other applications I might use have all been placed there, ready and waiting for me. TBH it's actually much slicker working this way than with the old start button. Sure there are some odd foibles, but at least it feels like I'm half in control again compared to OSX (which always left me feeling helpless and frustrated).

The dumb thing is that if the default settings in Windows were chosen intelligently then it would be a nice experience for a new user, as OSX is at first boot. Instead you have to spend the first 20min wading through a morass in order to set it up well.

Back