Windows Update fails with this KB

Edit My Images
No
I've had to deal with this issue at work (I'm an IT engineer) - are you comfortable running scripts; specifically Powershell?

I don't know if this will help:

Thanks, I can't recall that page....so will have read of it.
I've had to deal with this issue at work (I'm an IT engineer) - are you comfortable running scripts; specifically Powershell?
I do like to understand what I am doing so yes, with reservations;)

Overall I find it an odd Win update failure.....it keeps trying and failing.

Plus, I am unsure of the role of WinRE ?

Thanks, I can't recall that page....so will have read of it.

I do like to understand what I am doing so yes, with reservations;)

Overall I find it an odd Win update failure.....it keeps trying and failing.

Plus, I am unsure of the role of WinRE ?

WinRE is the Recovery Partition of your machine; so if the main OS fails and you boot into a blue recovery screen, it runs from the WinRE partition.

The reason it keeps failing is because the WinRE partition will be too small; but the update can't figure that out for itself, so just keeps trying. Honestly my career is full of moments like this, where you swear to the sky and wonder wtf Microsoft are doing; but then also have to resign myself to the fact that if they weren't s*** I wouldn't have a job!

This is the script I eventually used at work. It has a detection stage in it so if this fix doesn't apply, it won't run it.

You'll need to run the script as an administrator. Suffice to say, I provide this advice without guarantee and you continue at your own risk; if you don't feel comfortable with running scripts or perhaps aren't even sure *how* to run the script, then I'd say leave it. Make sure you have backups of your data :)

You can also block specific updates using the linked document/tool; which just means it won't even attempt the troublesome update in future :)

Good luck!

WinRE is the Recovery Partition of your machine; so if the main OS fails and you boot into a blue recovery screen, it runs from the WinRE partition.

The reason it keeps failing is because the WinRE partition will be too small; but the update can't figure that out for itself, so just keeps trying. Honestly my career is full of moments like this, where you swear to the sky and wonder wtf Microsoft are doing; but then also have to resign myself to the fact that if they weren't s*** I wouldn't have a job!

This is the script I eventually used at work. It has a detection stage in it so if this fix doesn't apply, it won't run it.

You'll need to run the script as an administrator. Suffice to say, I provide this advice without guarantee and you continue at your own risk; if you don't feel comfortable with running scripts or perhaps aren't even sure *how* to run the script, then I'd say leave it. Make sure you have backups of your data :)

You can also block specific updates using the linked document/tool; which just means it won't even attempt the troublesome update in future :)

Good luck!
Ah! I see (I thought WinRE was something to do with 'system recovery etc)

I would need to have a read about such scripts etc but can I ask, just how big does the WinRE partition have to be?

In Disk Management I note that the 'Recovery Partition is 537MB
Disk Mgmt screenshot.jpg

FWIW I have EaseUS Partition Master which AFAIK can handle resizing system disk partition sizes non-destructively :thinking:

Edit ~ I found the EaseUs reference page for the above

Last edited:
I would need to have a read about such scripts etc but can I ask, just how big does the WinRE partition have to be?
The KB document for the update states you need 250MB free space in the Recovery Partition.

Edit ~ I found the EaseUs reference page for the above

That would certainly be the other way to do it - its essentially doing the same as the script. The script is non-destructive as well, I should add - but at the end of the day, if you're resizing hard drive partitions (or otherwise faffing with your system drive in anyway) there is always the chance something could go wrong. Hence advising caution :)

The KB document for the update states you need 250MB free space in the Recovery Partition.
Hmmm? so even @ 537MB there is not enough free space in that partition :thinking: but how can you check the amount of free space when it cannot be 'revealed' using 'show hidden folders & files'.
That would certainly be the other way to do it - its essentially doing the same as the script. The script is non-destructive as well, I should add - but at the end of the day, if you're resizing hard drive partitions (or otherwise faffing with your system drive in anyway) there is always the chance something could go wrong. Hence advising caution :)
Caution yes, need to look at my OS backup settings and ensure all is well?

On the matter of WinRE free space, I surmise that it is best to increase the partition by at least 250MB to be sure that there is/will be enough free space in total?

The Update is to stop people bypassing bitblocker, do you use bitblocker, if not just block the update.

The Update is to stop people bypassing bitblocker, do you use bitblocker, if not just block the update.
No I don't use Bitblocker and out of interest does the WinRE as it stands without that update allow bypassing it......if so Bitblocker, for those that need it's security, is very weak?

The update info just says it stops bypassing bitblocker.
Bitblocker, If I remember correctly needs verification before it allows WinRe to run.

The update info just says it stops bypassing bitblocker.
Bitblocker, If I remember correctly needs verification before it allows WinRe to run.
Bitblocker (in the main?) sounds like it is aimed at the Corporate/Governmental user sector :thinking:

Back