windows validation issue

Name
Edit My Images
No
Ive just replaced all my drives with ssd's and reinstalled windows (Windows 7 home premium) During install they key validated and i can see in the computer properties page its saying genuine windows version, Windows 7 SP1. but i have started getting a popup saying that im not running a genuine version of windows now. This looks like an official popup from microsoft and the links take me to the MS purchase page. The links in the address bar are all microsoft based so im pretty sure its not some virus scam thing.

Anyway, there used to be a phone number you could call, type your key in and it would give you a fresh one to reactivate, or you could call an MS Human to do the same thing. I cant seem to find that anymore!

I did have an OEM upgrade disk for Win 7 Ultimate but that wont work now, i think that was just a one shot thing. My Home premium disk isnt an OEM disc, its perfectly valid and came from the high street.

is there a way round this?

First do a virus check would be my answer with a decent one like bit defender or similar. Sounds very much like a virus to me as I had something not unlike some time ago. I got rid of it by system restore which might be worth a try.

on the back of my W7 professional says Quote"Is it genuine?go to( Microsoft.com/howtotell)" or email Microsoft at piracy@microsoft.com

Last edited:
I would just call the number and get an over-the-phone activation, it's a pretty painless really

Ive just replaced all my drives with ssd's and reinstalled windows (Windows 7 home premium) During install they key validated and i can see in the computer properties page its saying genuine windows version, Windows 7 SP1. but i have started getting a popup saying that im not running a genuine version of windows now. This looks like an official popup from microsoft and the links take me to the MS purchase page. The links in the address bar are all microsoft based so im pretty sure its not some virus scam thing.

Anyway, there used to be a phone number you could call, type your key in and it would give you a fresh one to reactivate, or you could call an MS Human to do the same thing. I cant seem to find that anymore!

I did have an OEM upgrade disk for Win 7 Ultimate but that wont work now, i think that was just a one shot thing. My Home premium disk isnt an OEM disc, its perfectly valid and came from the high street.

is there a way round this?

There is a kind of workaround which may work.

With Win 7 it's possible to extend the 30 day period you get for activation with a DOS command but whether it would work here I don't know.

go to start and at the bottom in the search box type COM then click on command prompt at the top.

This will get you the old DOS style box.

At the cursor type slmgr /rearm (with the space after r and /)

you should then get a message saying that it succeeded and to restart your computer.

As I say it may or may not work in your case but even if it does you still need to get a genuine key because you can only use the command 4 times which gives you 120 days or so.

Ok cheers :) I only had windows and lightoom installed so I've flattened everything and started over just to remove the virus doubt.

But ill give that a go if the problem reappears

Back