Its a nice little zoo well laid out, in general the animals look very healthy,
but were largely very reluctant to move away from the backgrounds,
which was a bit of a shame.

The main aim was to get the black panther cub,
but its was pretty near impossible,
although it could be just about seen through the window of its "enclosure"
Playing with mum.
Still, maybe next time.

Although I did actually "get" a pink Panther ;)

They took a little bit of bribing, but
eventually :D

IMG_5980
by Chris-the-falconer, on Flickr

Every ones a critic, even the "young pretender"

IMG_5988

Who was quick enough to steal the Alpha Males "perch"

IMG_5993

The Red Panda's were a little surprised to see me down there,

IMG_5851

But were very obliging with the classic poses

IMG_5854a

I must say the 2 male Lions were
absolutely stunning,
even if the background wasn't photogenic

IMG_5903a

Yep, as I said, everyone's a bloody critic!

IMG_5900

But very
obliging :D

IMG_5898

As on Flickr #2 is giving @Gremlin Ingrid's lizard run for its money.
Oooooo errrrrr missus! Lol ;)

LOL Bryn, she did good with that I must say, I was wrong sided and never even saw it happen.

As on Flickr #2 is giving @Gremlin Ingrid's lizard run for its money.

Oooooo errrrrr missus! Lol ;)

That's not a tongue @Tintin124 :thinking: Bit like himself say it was the mother just before it sat down :ROFLMAO:

LOL Bryn, she did good with that I must say, I was wrong sided and never even saw it happen.

Pah own up, you were chimping :p
Actually I thought the damn thing was going to jump over and join it's mate catching the drips
never expected what happened ;)

I never got the Jaguar or a decent Puma shot :( Stunning Lion captures,
Nice set all round for a canon user :p:D

you forgot to tell Bryn how playful and obliging the red panders were :D

Yep defo worth another visit at sometime (y)

I was gonna tag Bryn into the red panda's but he commented before I had time :D
Being smaller and a different colour to the male,
I assumed that it was female,
it wasn't till a bit later, that I realised that there was a troupe not just a pair.
Thanks for dropping by and commenting Ingrid (y)

Last edited:
The shot with the lions tounge out. A really well observed moment.
Technically all are beyond approach and the red panda's interesting and you wouldn't know they were taken in a zoo.

Cheers Steve, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment (y)

Things like Panda's you can usually manoeuvre to to make them look natural.
The big predators are obviously a lot harder due to high fences, and some zoo's have better backgrounds than others,
the likes of dense bushes hiding the lower part of the fence line, is always good.

Cheers Steve, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment (y)

Things like Panda's you can usually manoeuvre to to make them look natural.
The big predators are obviously a lot harder due to high fences, and some zoo's have better backgrounds than others,
the likes of dense bushes hiding the lower part of the fence line, is always good.

They look just great, like they are in the habitat. I've been thinking about doing this sort of thing off and on now, and seeing threads like this, I realise I am missing out on an exciting area of photography and would give me a lot to be getting on with.

I can see the challenges of avoiding fences, yet including the features you wish to of the animals. These are a great expressive series to my untrained eye and a kick up my bum to try something different.

They look just great, like they are in the habitat. I've been thinking about doing this sort of thing off and on now, and seeing threads like this, I realise I am missing out on an exciting area of photography and would give me a lot to be getting on with.

I can see the challenges of avoiding fences, yet including the features you wish to of the animals. These are a great expressive series to my untrained eye and a kick up my bum to try something different.
Thanks again :)
All I'll say is go for it and have fun doing it. :)
Not sure what set up you have, but you really need something like a 70-200 2.8 (and largely shooting wide open) to get through the wire,
Although if the light is right, it can be done at f4
Glass reflections are another PITA.
Distance from the wire or glass also plays a big part,
and its not always possible to get the lens right against the wire and shoot through the mesh,
this is preferable of course as you can then pick the best suited f/stop.

I wrote a little beginners guide awhile ago, have a read if you like.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/re...-guide-to-shooting-through-mesh-and-glass.13/

Reactions: ST4
Great set Chris.
As you say the lion lads are stunning aren't they?
They're doing well there now which is good considering the life they had prior to wingham.

Great set Chris.
As you say the lion lads are stunning aren't they?
They're doing well there now which is good considering the life they had prior to wingham.
Thanks Ruth :) they certainly put Spike (at Whipsnade) to shame, don't they?

I read recently that Wingham have aquired two european bears....former dancers.

"Excellent" set of images Chris, #4, #5, #7, #8, #10, are awesome with some nice tight framing.(y)

George.

I read recently that Wingham have aquired two european bears....former dancers.
They were no where to be seen, the other day.
Maybe they are keeping them under wraps for a bit?
Learning new routines maybe?

:D

"Excellent" set of images Chris, #4, #5, #7, #8, #10, are awesome with some nice tight framing.(y)
George.
Thanks for your kind comments George (y)

Another nice set Chris, good stuff. Some very interesting poses there they're pulling for you.

I haven't been able to do any for a while but once they've sorted the Newton Abbot bypass I might get a season ticket four Paignton.

They were no where to be seen, the other day.
Maybe they are keeping them under wraps for a bit?
Learning new routines maybe?

Thanks for your kind comments George (y)

I think they're due to go out in the spring.

Another nice set Chris, good stuff. Some very interesting poses there they're pulling for you.
I haven't been able to do any for a while but once they've sorted the Newton Abbot bypass I might get a season ticket four Paignton.
Cheers Mike its appreciated (y)
First time I've been out in a while too TBH.

I think they're due to go out in the spring.
Just in time to dance around the may pole I guess :D

Great set Chris. The colours in the first three is brilliant and the RP's are beautiful.
Thanks David, your kind comments are appreciated (y)

Pity you didn't get a good sight of the little Jaguar, but plenty of evidence of a good day out (y) The first Red Panda stands out for me :)

Been meaning to say Chris I don't know why all these wildlife parks keep letting you bring in these red panda puppets. ;)

Been meaning to say Chris I don't know why all these wildlife parks keep letting you bring in these red panda puppets. ;)

To help him give you tuition on the best way to get pictures Bryn ;):p

Pity you didn't get a good sight of the little Jaguar, but plenty of evidence of a good day out (y) The first Red Panda stands out for me :)
Cheers Neil (y) I caught a few fleeting glances, but nothing worth attempting to shoot.
Its not a bad place for a day out is it?

DAMN! you caught me Bryn

Its not a bad place for a day out is it?
It's worth popping into right enough and having the passport for Howletts is handy, if your not having much luck on a particular day ;)

It's worth popping into right enough and having the passport for Howletts is handy, if your not having much luck on a particular day ;)
I don't have a Howlettes passport :D

TBH, I tend to stick it out, and sooner or later,
something will happen (Where ever that is :) )

I don't have a Howlettes passport :D
TBH, I tend to stick it out, and sooner or later,
something will happen (Where ever that is :) )
I don't have so much patience at smaller places when they're busy (which it was when I visited) ... usually, if I do wait patiently, the something that does happen usually coincides with a surge of other visitors ;)

Great set again Chris
the lions are stunning as you say its a shame about the background but nice to see anyway
the pandas are really nice excellent portraits

Great set again Chris
the lions are stunning as you say its a shame about the background but nice to see anyway
the pandas are really nice excellent portraits
Cheers Pete, thanks for dropping by its appreciated (y)

As always, a good set, Chris. Just one question (for the oldies!) Why's that pink duck only got one leg?

As always, a good set, Chris. Just one question (for the oldies!) Why's that pink duck only got one leg?
Cheers Nod (y)

Pink ducks, they are bred specially for those that like to shoot birds on a stick (y)

I'm not going to have anything to do with spit roasting Mike...

Back