Winter in the Cotswold Wildlife Park

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

It's my first time posting in this section, normally I just stick to shooting motor sport. I travelled to Cotswold Wildlife Park during the week and decided to take the camera along (with absolutely no clue what I was doing).

Here's a few that weren't completely foiled by the December murk messing with my AF.

As I say, total noob shots of things I've never shot before, in a situation Ive never been in, so don't expect much in the way of talent :)

1. A Meerkat?
A Meerkat? by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

2. A Monkey?
Um...Monkey by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

3. Some kind of dog...
Wolf..I think by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

4. A Bird?
Some Kind of bird... by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Very nice for a first attempt, its not easy as some people think is it?

One small tip though, animals need a slightly different processing technique
to landscapes motor sports etc.

Basically they are over saturated, which is a common mistake,
that most people make on their first few attempts.

Certainly the Meerkat and the Macaw.
The Wolf is the best of the bunch (y)

The "monkey" BTW is an emperor tamarin.

Like the monkey one best :)
How did you find the park? I should try and go sometime :)

I like the first but over saturated and slightly underexposed. Love the background and isolation.

I actually really like the macaw, it's not your typical wildlife shot but the strange pose and interesting processing technique really appeal as a sort of abstract(-ish). Good shot!

Agree about them being over saturated but that's easily fixed
all good but love the background and composition on the meerkat:)

Very nice for a first attempt, its not easy as some people think is it?

One small tip though, animals need a slightly different processing technique
to landscapes motor sports etc.

Basically they are over saturated, which is a common mistake,
that most people make on their first few attempts.

Certainly the Meerkat and the Macaw.
The Wolf is the best of the bunch (y)

The "monkey" BTW is an emperor tamarin.

Oh well, I wont give up my day job :D Thanks for the feedback, I kinda like the extra saturation, but then again I was making it all up as went along. The Macaw shot has actually got one of the best scores on 500px I've ever had (not that it means anything), I just find it interesting how opinions are divided with these images. The wolf is my least favourite as the composition feels awkward to me, I guess the difference between my noob opinion and someone who knows what they are doing :)

Thanks again :) (I'll probably stick to cars)

Like the monkey one best :)
How did you find the park? I should try and go sometime :)

I haven't been to a zoo in years, to be honest I was really surprised how close you could get to the animals in a lot of cases... My only recommendation (limited as my ability is), go in summer when there is better light and use a fast lens to get some subject separation and hide some of the zoo furniture

I like the first but over saturated and slightly underexposed. Love the background and isolation.

I can probably tweak that out :) thanks for the feedback

I actually really like the macaw, it's not your typical wildlife shot but the strange pose and interesting processing technique really appeal as a sort of abstract(-ish). Good shot!
Thanks, probably my favourite along with the meerkat... as mentioned the uneducated 500px crowd agree :D

Agree about them being over saturated but that's easily fixed
all good but love the background and composition on the meerkat:)

Thanks glad you like some aspects.. I am a photoshop fan, so may take all advice into account and have another go

The wolf is my least favourite as the composition feels awkward to me, I guess the difference between my noob opinion and someone who knows what they are doing :)
I wouldn't go quite that far :D

Technically the wolf is actually very good you have the eye on a third,
negative space for it it look into.
Its a head shot but with an OoF body in the background.

Animals, are one of the the most subjective subjects TBH.
As I always say, it if t works for you then great :)

After all, if you try to please everyone,
you end up not pleasing yourself ;)

It's a good set G501 - don't do yourself down!
It's always difficult working in low light - the shots can look flat and it's easy to over-work them just to try to get some life back into them.
And your animal identification is entirely correct!!
Keep 'em coming.

cheers, cw

Pretty much covered above, but I do like the Macaw (y)

For me, I love all the shots. But I feel the meerkat is a little off colour. It's too yellow for me.

Back