Winter Mountaineering in Scotland

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just got back from 9 days in Fort William. I went up there with my parents with the intention of going winter climbing and doing lots of winter mountaineering though the weather had other ideas as when we got to Scotland there was no snow, we were then battered by gale force winds, hill fog and rain almost every day! This then lead to too much snow and a massive avalanche risk so we couldn't do any winter climbing up gullies due to the risk of getting avalanched.
We managed to get up into the mountains and do three walks, one of which we had to abort due to stronger than forecast winds and it was very difficult to stand up!

Though on the last day the weather forecast was slightly better, and it turned out to be a fantastic day in Glen Coe! So all these photos are from the last day when we actually had a view.

1#

Climbing the ZigZags onto Geàrr Aonach by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

2#

Decending the north ridge of Stob Coire nan Lochan by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

3#

Walking around a cornice on the NE ridge of Stob Coire nan Lochan by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

if anyone is interested there are more from the final day and some from the other days on my website, http://biSPAM/x3YsPZ

thanks for looking

alastair

Love scotland, looks like a lot of hard work to get up there though.

Looks stunning up there.

And it's time we had some snow in London. The sledge is sitting forlornly at the back of the shed.....

One of my favourite places, I love the fort william area

Back