Winter Olympics!

Some are amazing but some are only fit for the bin,extremely noisy poor composition and downright boring

I am not writing them off, I just dont see how Getty can call these good as their standards are very high so here goes...

#2 Poor composition with no foreground
#4 Top of head missing
#5 Too much saturation to the point the red is blown on the arm
#8?????snapshot
#11 just not sharp enough
#23 poor composition again

I could go on but see no point really as its only my take on them and have seen better photos here

Last edited:

Brilliant image, not everything has to follow the rule of thirds.

#4 Top of head missing

So? Look at the eyes and getting the logo in the reflection :eek:

Fine on my monitor

#8?????snapshot

I agree with you

I sort of agree with you, it could be an amazing image if it wasn't cropped so much. Probably taken with a Nikon... :naughty:

Love this one, just look at the background :love:

Some amazing images, thanks for the link (y)

Number 17 is just awesome.

Gosh...perhaps you guys should apply for Getty Images, you could show them how to do it!

If the choice is between getting the shot which makes the papers (even if it isn't perfect) or getting no shot at all...then I know which I'll be going for every time thanks.

My pic director would be kicking my a**e if I told him "yeah, I chopped off the top of a head of the best photo of the olympics, so I binned it".

In addition, some of the ones you've criticised are from some of the best togs in the world...I'm sure they'd like to see your efforts.

No.2 - is a "context" shot, would be good for the broadsheets as they can put headlines or text around it.

No.4 - has 2x Olympic logos, I think that could be more important than the top of the helmet.

No.5 - fine on mine too...perhaps the "saturation" is the reflection of the ice on a synthetic fabric...makes it look a bit white.

No.8 - Snapshot?! Read the caption, find out the background story...this was a huge problem for the first week...people were complaining that they couldn't see the cauldron.

No.11 - Possibly a borderline one for me...if it was an important story, i'd include it...if not...i'd dump it perhaps.

No.23 - Again, a different crop from Dylan...who's got a reputation as being quite experimental. He probably sent at least 10 of the more normal type...and this one. It paid off as it's different.

Care to show some of yours so we can critique?

I am not writing them off, I just dont see how Getty can call these good as their standards are very high so here goes...

#4 Top of head missing
#8?????snapshot

I could go on but see no point really as its only my take on them and have seen better photos here

Like two guys jumping out of a helicopter!:LOL:

Like two guys jumping out of a helicopter!:LOL:

Very big difference Andrew, I am asking for help on how to improve them............these are pro paid shots that imho I have seen much better, also my subject was over 2 miles away from me so no comparison really is there

Well, having looked at your website, I think we can all see that you're not exactly qualified to comment and like you say, "no comparison really is there". But I have to give you some credit for entertainment at least, made me laugh anyway.

these are ALL fantastic shots world class nothing I've seen on here coms even close if i took just one shot as good as this in my lifetime would be very proud!

Well i think there are some geat images here thanks for the link,there are a few which could have been better but hay,thats photography(y)

Well, having looked at your website, I think we can all see that you're not exactly qualified to comment and like you say, "no comparison really is there". But I have to give you some credit for entertainment at least, made me laugh anyway.

so someone makes a comment and you publicly attack that person for airing an opinion .......... seems a little childlike

Sorry, I assumed you were just having a laugh?
It's bit worrying that you appear to be serious!

Last edited:
No I cant see how these are the best images from the games seeing how the agencies are extremely picky and choose only shots that make your eyes pop

Well there are some cracking images in there, maybe 1 or 2 that don't quite hit the mark (IMHO) but on the whole top notch work. Seeing sports photo's is what got me interested in photography in the first place, about 35 years ago, and these do nothing to diminish that interest.
#24 of the speed skaters is the one for me.

Didn't realise you had to be qualified to give an opinion these days :shrug:

:D

Back