Wireless Router

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Looks like my router is on the blink, had to reboot it twice this evening. Exactly the same thing happened when the last one went. So I guess it's time to buy a new one.

Thing is, I know nothing about them technically but I do know that I need a Netgear one as AOL apparently only support these. So the question I need to ask is, what is the difference between

http://www.maplin.co.uk/netgear-n150-rangemax-wireless-cable-router-390957

and

http://www.maplin.co.uk/netgear-n150-rangemax-wireless-adsl-router-391312

Would appreciate an answer in as non techy words as possible please. :D

Oh, and I mainly use for surfing the web and uploading photos.

try a firmware update

what make/model is it?

the router in the 1st link is for cable broadband ie:virgin media and the 2nd link is for broadband via phone line

I have had several Netgear routers over the years and they tend to reboot if they are getting too hot. is it overheating?

If it is laid flat try using the little plastic stands they usually come with to stand it on it's edge may improve airflow

Also it may be having to reboot as it losing sync with the exchange, this could be caused by so many reasons noisy line, poor signal etc maybe worth monitoring over a few days before buying a new one, also as mentioned before a firmware update maybe worthwhile

Last edited:
Now it's quite possible they were in the box..........that I don't have any more. So do I not need a new router if I can find a way to raise it up?

Well I'm sure a man of your ingenuity can rig something to stand it on it's edge and monitor it for a few days, as I said above it could be rebooting for any number of reasons that has nothing to do with the router itself

I may even have a couple of those feet kicking around I will look tomorrow, if I have will pop in the post for you

How old is it?

Yes, I did notice it was a little hot underneath. It didn't come with any little plastic stands that I can remember tough.

Bluetac and Gaffer tape. Call yourself a photographer for heavens sake? :p :LOL:

Oh and the non techy difference....

one's matt black and the other is shiny! :D

Bluetac and Gaffer tape. Call yourself a photographer for heavens sake? :p :LOL:

Nah, just the white plastic end from a cardboard tube and a small piece of plastic that was screwed on to something at some point in time but has been sitting in a dish for..........................well, you get the idea! :nuts:

Oh and the non techy difference....

one's matt black and the other is shiny! :D

Not THAT'S the sort of technical advice I can understand! :LOL:

I have had a look for the feet but can't find any... Sorry

Is it any better stood up now?

Mark if you do end up needing those feet that originally came with the router you can get them on flea bay for a smidge under 3 quid delivered.

Mark said:
I have had a look for the feet but can't find any... Sorry

Is it any better stood up now?

No worries mark, was good of you to offer. I've got it propped on the bits of plastic and was fun up until Saturday morning when we left for the isle of Wight, hopefully it'll be ok when we get back and I can save myself £60. :)

Mark if you do end up needing those feet that originally came with the router you can get them on flea bay for a smidge under 3 quid delivered.

Nah using the feet at the moment, thought I may have an old set for fabs

Back