Wish I'd seen this one...

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Canon 70-200 II for £1019.00!!!

John Lewis - link

Must have been a miss-price, so no idea if they would have honoured it, but I doubt they would have had enough stock for it to flag up as a too quick sale.

Bloody hell, I would have ha one of them at that price!

Problem is with misprices is that they are very rarely honoured. :(

It also states Its OUT OF STOCK :p

£1,019.00
Overall rating
ratingLarge.gif

5 / 5
1 review
|
Write a review
Product code :
Additional services
  • 2 year guarantee included

Out of stock

lol, I know its out of stock - if there'd been one left when I saw it it would still have been out of stock ;)

Back in the olden days we owned an electrical retail shop.
A customer came in one day inquiring about a new VCR.

Customer. " Hi I'm interested in the panasonic VCR but its £349 and down the road its only £299.
Salesman. " Sorry madam that price is fixed as its already been discounted you may have to buy from the other store"
Customer. " I can't they are out of stock"
Salesman. " Oh I see well they are more expensive than us then because when were out of stock we sell it at £199"

Bloody hell, I would have ha one of them at that price!

Problem is with misprices is that they are very rarely honoured. :(
If you place an order and payment is accepted then they have to honour that as it is an agreement bound by law.
A few years back I purchased chest waders from an advert in a magazine when after a week they had not arrived I called the shop and they stated it was a mis-print on the price so I asked trading standards and they advised if money has been accepted then agreement binding, waders arrived three days later!!

Unfortunately that's not the case - many online retailers now have a clause in their terms and conditions (that you accept by purchasing something) that they will not honour any misprices.

There have been many disappointed people over at HotUkDeals with misprices!

Tricky one, if you see something advertised in a shop via a price ticket at a certain price then the retailer doesn't have to sell it to you at any price, they are merely "open to offers" and they can accept or decline, so if it's incorrectly priced they are within their rights to not sell. Online may be different, especially if they have taken your money, I would have thought that created a contract, of course if they haven't taken your money they are under no obligation I guess.

Matt

A while back I had a bit of a run in with Tesco direct - they were selling the 60S + lens at around the price of just the lens, so I placed and order - they took money from the bank and eventually said it was a pricing error, refunded, apologised and that was it - I had a lengthy email from their HR and there was some back and forth but long story short they don't have to honour anything listed online.

What was funny with that case was they they said they'd fixed it and it wouldn't be possible to order again - so I tried again (as I had a bit of spare cash and knew I'd get it back) and lo and behold they took my money, needless to say they got another set of emails, apologised again - but on the upside I did end up with £50 in tesco points :)

If you place an order and payment is accepted then they have to honour that as it is an agreement bound by law.

Nope.

If the price is obviously a mistake then the retailer is entitled to cancel the order. In such situations, any "contract" formed by them accepting payment is deemed to have been made in bad faith as one party (i.e. you) knew full well the price was wrong.

You may still get away with it, either because the retailer decides to take the hit and supply it at the advertised price regardless, for PR purposes, or because an automated ordering and despatch system results in the item being sent out before they realise what's happened and cancel it. So worth a punt in such circumstances by all means but the notion that the retailer is legally obliged to supply it at any price once they've accepted payment is nonsense.

It appears they have corrected the price, now showing as £1699

Cool, I can stop checking in hope now :)

Still out of stock though so perhaps someone got a bargain.

Tricky one, if you see something advertised in a shop via a price ticket at a certain price then the retailer doesn't have to sell it to you at any price, they are merely "open to offers" and they can accept or decline, so if it's incorrectly priced they are within their rights to not sell. Online may be different, especially if they have taken your money, I would have thought that created a contract, of course if they haven't taken your money they are under no obligation I guess.

Matt

That would seem correct, as I tried to buy a low but incorrectly priced item salesman refused to sell it. Trading standards said they were within their rights, to refuse to sell.

It's gone back to the old price now, although interestingly with a higher RRP!

Back in stock.

And the free advertising ploy has worked, argos do it all the time, list something at 50% knowing there's no stock! it hits all the forums directing traffic to their website then when they have stock it goes back up

Argos maybe but not John Lewis, if they make a pricing error they generally honour customer orders.

And the free advertising ploy has worked, argos do it all the time, list something at 50% knowing there's no stock! it hits all the forums directing traffic to their website then when they have stock it goes back up
Not this time. It was the same price as the MK1, so looks to be a genuine misprice.

John Lewis don't have the same bad rep as Argos and I often see people using JL's price promise without issue.

Back