Woburn Safari Park

Very nice sharp photos. I would be tempted to see how they look with the right hand side of the picture cropped off a little. If you lookup the rule of thirds and try to get the head 2/3 the way across and 1/3 from the top (or reasonably close to it without cropping any part of the animal) you should find the composition looks a bit better.

Well I like both of these - the only comment I'd have is to try having your subject less central.

Thanks very much for the comments. These were taken very promptly so couldn't compose it to the rule of thirds. But well pointed. I'll crop them for the effect.
Any further suggestions for post processing.

Thanks very much for the comments. These were taken very promptly so couldn't compose it to the rule of thirds. But well pointed. I'll crop them for the effect.
Any further suggestions for post processing.

To be honest I am not very good at post processing myself so I hesitate to give any advice! :LOL:

They might have a bit of a yellow tinge to them but I'd get that verified by someone else as my monitor is not callibrated and as I say, I'm not exactly known for my PP skills.

Hi,

Good attempt at short notice! The pictures also seem to have a yellow cast on my monitor also. Along with the previous comments on cropping, it may also be worth attempting to remove the man-made objects from the pictures as part of the crop - fences in the distance, roads etc. I always find that can be one of the harder things to achieve in a zoo setting, with restricted viewpoints.

Best Regards,

Matt

A nice pair (y)
But as already been noted, they are a little warm (yellow)
Try setting the white balance to cloudy, even on a sunny day, seems that Canons like that ;)

The wolf, You missed the focal point it should always, (where possible) be on the eyes.
You seem to have it half way down its back,
and tried to (over) sharpen to compensate.

The crops, again as already mentioned, the animals are a little too central,
the trick with moving animals is to give them somewhere to go.

I'd lose the left hand side personally, rather like this :-
Cooled off a little with a "blue filter" (in Photo shop)
and brightened just a tad too.
Oh and I "lost" the out of focus lioness in the background.)

Hope that helps (y)

7331170366_8e74890829_c_edit.jpg

I actually used to work at woburn these are some great shots. Its really hard to get shots of the Wolves so well done.

Cobra said:
A nice pair (y)
But as already been noted, they are a little warm (yellow)
Try setting the white balance to cloudy, even on a sunny day, seems that Canons like that ;)

The wolf, You missed the focal point it should always, (where possible) be on the eyes.
You seem to have it half way down its back,
and tried to (over) sharpen to compensate.

The crops, again as already mentioned, the animals are a little too central,
the trick with moving animals is to give them somewhere to go.

I'd lose the left hand side personally, rather like this :-
Cooled off a little with a "blue filter" (in Photo shop)
and brightened just a tad too.
Oh and I "lost" the out of focus lioness in the background.)

Hope that helps (y)

Thanks Cobra,
I agree on the wolf part being not correctly focussed. I just have a 9 point focus on my camera and with the moving subject it became difficult to get my focus points. Well the point is i'm still learning.
The crop done on the lion is perfect. Thanks for that. I am away from my laptop since the last few days. Will work on these pics more once i'm back. I think it is already set to cloudy. Will have to check once more.
All in all thanks a lot for the advice. Highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Vicky91 said:
I actually used to work at woburn these are some great shots. Its really hard to get shots of the Wolves so well done.

Thanks Vicky.
The lions made me wait for atleast 30mins. They were acting like a bunch of lazy dogs at that time. I guess I was lucky with the wolves.

Daysleeper40 said:
To be honest I am not very good at post processing myself so I hesitate to give any advice! :LOL:

They might have a bit of a yellow tinge to them but I'd get that verified by someone else as my monitor is not callibrated and as I say, I'm not exactly known for my PP skills.

Well this was my first PP ever done and this too was done on the canon software. I still have to take it aboard LR. But I can now see the yellow tinge once u all have pointed it out. Your monitor is fine:)

Thanks Cobra,
I agree on the wolf part being not correctly focussed. I just have a 9 point focus on my camera and with the moving subject it became difficult to get my focus points. Well the point is i'm still learning.
No Problem, (y)
The other thing in that case is, to try either "full manual" "TV" or AV"
( I won't complicate the issue with the why's and wherefores, just use the one you find easiest, for now at least)
And select one of the single focus points. It might take you awhile to get the hang of it, but its worth it in the end.
That way you make the decision where to focus and not the camera.
(the camera could easily pick up on a blade of grass or a distant tree, with "auto points" selected.)
And don't worry, we all had to start somewhere :)

No Problem, (y)
The other thing in that case is, to try either "full manual" "TV" or AV"
( I won't complicate the issue with the why's and wherefores, just use the one you find easiest, for now at least)
And select one of the single focus points. It might take you awhile to get the hang of it, but its worth it in the end.
That way you make the decision where to focus and not the camera.
(the camera could easily pick up on a blade of grass or a distant tree, with "auto points" selected.)
And don't worry, we all had to start somewhere :)

Thanks.. I agree
Actually this was done on Av mode, but of course with auto focus points.
I try with selecting AF points next time.

Nice pics, especially love the lion shot.
Got much closer to the wolves than I managed to.

Both would look better slightly cropped and postioned off central but I'd be more than happy if mine looked like that.

Much better (y)

You must have been using quite a slow shutter speed to get the blur on the paw ?
Not a criticism just a comment.

Thanks.
Not a better pose by the lion, but definitely a better focus than the initial one.
I shot all of them in the 'Av' mode, so had no control on the shutter speed. Still learning :)

Nice pics, especially love the lion shot.
Got much closer to the wolves than I managed to.

Both would look better slightly cropped and postioned off central but I'd be more than happy if mine looked like that.

Thanks Shak.
Wish I could have opened my car window for a moment.

I shot all of them in the 'Av' mode, so had no control on the shutter speed. Still learning :)

Ok, so now going back to my post #12
Shutter priority for moving targets and "as fast as possible"
Unless you are aiming for motion blur on motor sports Airplane props etc
Aperture for static (normally)
But of course the "exceptions" make the "rule" ;)

Ok, so now going back to my post #12
Shutter priority for moving targets and "as fast as possible"
Unless you are aiming for motion blur on motor sports Airplane props etc
Aperture for static (normally)
But of course the "exceptions" make the "rule" ;)

Unless shooting sports then you will find 99.9% use AV.

Unless shooting sports then you will find 99.9% use AV.

Don't complicate things :p

As I never shoot sports, I'll bow to your knowledge (y)
(but I did add a disclaimer :D)

Don't complicate things :p

As I never shoot sports, I'll bow to your knowledge (y)
(but I did add a disclaimer :D)

If anybody else had posted it I wouldn't have bothered replying, but you just seem to bring the rebel out in me....:LOL:

If anybody else had posted it I wouldn't have bothered replying, but you just seem to bring the rebel out in me....:LOL:

:rolleyes:

:D

Back