Womens FA Cup

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Blackburn v Millwall lioness on Sunday...
Problem wiht this ground is theres a white wall all the way around and blackburn kit is mostly white.. On a day like sunday when its either bright sunshine or overcast ...its not so simple..

eg; pic #6 you will see is at max shutter 8000 in av mode at f5,6 iso 800.. any second now the list would go and i needed iso 800.. light was changing dramatic and quick..

rovers_millwall_fac_01.jpg

rovers_millwall_fac_02.jpg

rovers_millwall_fac_03.jpg

rovers_millwall_fac_04.jpg

rovers_millwall_fac_05.jpg

rovers_millwall_fac_06.jpg

I like 2 and 4 Tony, 1 doesn't do much for me, the top players head being cropped along with the ball spoils it. 3 looks out of focus?

first footy stuff ive seen of yours tony, very impressed!!!
different ideas etc...love no. 1 !!!

first footy stuff ive seen of yours tony, very impressed!!!
different ideas etc...love no. 1 !!!

theres loads on here mate... just been too busy of late...and on my website! :)

pic #1 thats my style of photogrpahy.. Its not somehtign I would send to the papers but not every pic is for the papers... theres loose crops.. tight crops and crop in.. I prefer to crop right in and lose some arms and legs to get to the main stuff :)

I like the quirkiness of No.6 - bodies all over the place! :D

pic #1 thats my style of photogrpahy.. Its not somehtign I would send to the papers but not every pic is for the papers... theres loose crops.. tight crops and crop in.. I prefer to crop right in and lose some arms and legs to get to the main stuff :)

my fav type of shot! headers with funny expressions and tight crops. why i usually sit in at side of the pitch instead of behind the goal!

my fav type of shot! headers with funny expressions and tight crops. why i usually sit in at side of the pitch instead of behind the goal!

Gurning and headers do go rather nicely together! :LOL:

But I thought the main stuff included the ball :thinking:

But I thought the main stuff included the ball :thinking:

the ball is there sint it.. or are you saying it should be the whole ball? everythings cropped in the picture.. there is nothing whole...each player half a body, half the amount of arms and half a ball.. like i say its NOT press photogpahy.. its just a style I lile :)

Last edited:
the ball is there sint it.. or are you saying it should be the whole ball? everythings cropped in the picture.. there is nothing whole...each player half a body, half the amount of arms and half a ball.. like i say its NOT press photogpahy.. its just a style I lile :)

Fair point Tony, and don't get me wrong I do like the close cropped stuff. In fact one of my favourite header shots i've got is of a similar style. Hope you don't mind, its no.2 on this link http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=296368

I do like the close crop on number 3, its just a shame the eye is covered by the hand.

Great again Tony, just one question. What was the reason for not shooting wide open? I checked the EXIF and I see that you were shooting at 5.6 with the 135mm in one image and 4.0 on the 400mm in another both at ISO 800...

from reading on here I was lead to believe that wide open to get rid of distracting backgrounds and in so doing emphasizing the action.?

It was ablazing sunny day for the most part wiht fast moving clouds so I went AV ... the iso 800 for when the clouds came in unexpected..iso 800 on mlIV really doesnt show any noise so safe to use

f5.6 for the 135 is because it was used mostly for goalmouth action and i wanted to get as much in focus as I could.. as you can see from the pics the background was nothing to worry about..had i gone f8 then when the clouds came into play the shutter would have dropped too far.. f2.8 on a nice day for goalmouth shots from that angle would get poorer results... look at pic #6 and imagine what woul and wouldnt be in focus at f2.8

f4 for the 400.. well 400 or 300 lens i always prefer f4 if available light.. most action consists of two players and you ahve more chance of getting them both in focus./. where 2.8 only guarantees the player your shooting unless both on same plane.. again at f4 the backgrounds nothing to worry about.. lok at pic #3 nothing wrong wiht that background at f4 .. oh and you get more keepers at f4 than 2.8 in my experience for just those reasons.

everyhting done for a reason :) i know people have 2.8 and use it all the time.. I use it when needed when light fades.. other times i use whats best for the situation :)

Last edited:
It was ablazing sunny day for the most part wiht fast moving clouds so I went AV ... the iso 800 for when the clouds came in unexpected..iso 800 on mlIV really doesnt show any noise so safe to use

f5.6 for the 135 is because it was used mostly for goalmouth action and i wanted to get as much in focus as I could.. as you can see from the pics the background was nothing to worry about..had i gone f8 then when the clouds came into play the shutter would have dropped too far.. f2.8 on a nice day for goalmouth shots from that angle would get poorer results... look at pic #6 and imagine what woul and wouldnt be in focus at f2.8

f4 for the 400.. well 400 or 300 lens i always prefer f4 if available light.. most action consists of two players and you ahve more chance of getting them both in focus./. where 2.8 only guarantees the player your shooting unless both on same plane.. again at f4 the backgrounds nothing to worry about.. lok at pic #3 nothing wrong wiht that background at f4 .. oh and you get more keepers at f4 than 2.8 in my experience for just those reasons.

everyhting done for a reason :) i know people have 2.8 and use it all the time.. I use it when needed when light fades.. other times i use whats best for the situation :)

Thank you for the info Tony,

I knew there had to be a reason...I was just puzzling over what it was.

Back