Womens Football National League

Name
Nigel Cliff
Edit My Images
Yes
Wolves Women are playing at my clubs ground this season so just popped down to watch them and get a few shots,really enjoyed it so next time it will the full kit chair etc to hopefully get some better shots

7816638850_f0cc2b121d_c.jpg

7816638120_66882f0fe4_c.jpg

7816636838_dc8b630ca3_c.jpg

7816633320_c5b31a5fc0_c.jpg

Nigel there are some nice images there. I particularly like image number 3.

If you would allow me to offer some advice I would recommend getting the horizons straight.

Last edited:
Hi Nigel.

If you use Photoshop you will notice the difference.

Image 1 and 2 are slightly out.

Image 3 stands out as the outstanding image of the 4

In image 4 newspaper photo editors prefer the touchline to go from 9-3 (on a clock) as opposed to 10-4. It takes a bit of playing around but you will be happy with the results

Hi Nigel.

If you use Photoshop you will notice the difference.

Image 1 and 2 are slightly out.

Image 3 stands out as the outstanding image of the 4

In image 4 newspaper photo editors prefer the touchline to go from 9-3 (on a clock) as opposed to 10-4. It takes a bit of playing around but you will be happy with the results

So are you saying the actual physical horizon can be spot on but the shots are not as "Good" because its actually the touchline that needs to be "level"

Hi Nigel,

These are nice. 3 & 4 are the best for me (shame you can't see two faces in number 4 but that can't be helped)

One thing is they look quite sharp...perhaps a bit too sharp for me.

Are these using the tamron lens you bought?

So are you saying the actual physical horizon can be spot on but the shots are not as "Good" because its actually the touchline that needs to be "level"

The pictures are perfectly good. The advice I am giving is advice that was given to me by a Photo Editor from a National Newspaper. I took their advice and got more sales as a result.

Anyway hope the advice helps :)

Nigel, forget the guff advice about horizons, horizons will look out depending on the angle across the field youre shooting, if you get your verticals straight then you can be 100% sure its how it should

True verticals never change from being vertical no matter what angle you shoot across the field, horizontals do so best to ignore them.

Nigel, forget the guff advice about horizons, horizons will look out depending on the angle across the field youre shooting, if you get your verticals straight then you can be 100% sure its how it should

True verticals never change from being vertical no matter what angle you shoot across the field, horizontals do so best to ignore them.

Thanks Gary I thought it was just me because i had never heard advice like that before from any of the pro togs on here

Got to say... they are straight.. never heard advice telling people to unstraighten the horizon before.. sorry just havent..

they are over sharpened though and taken from too high an angle ..

BTW.. I get paid to shoot blackburn rovers ladies home games :)

Last edited:
Got to say... they are straight.. never heard advice telling people to unstraighten the horizon before.. sorry just havent..

they are over sharpened though and taken from too high an angle ..

BTW.. I get paid to shoot blackburn rovers ladies home games :)

Fine Tony but for the 10 millionth time read my signature with regard to the angle, normally I do sit for various reasons and mainly because I was there as a spectator I didn't on Sunday

Fine Tony but for the 10 millionth time read my signature with regard to the angle, normally I do sit for various reasons and mainly because I was there as a spectator I didn't on Sunday

if its taken from the wrong angle then its taken from the wrong angle.. this section is for critique.. you can present a pic every day of the week and unless you state in the message then i will look at the angle and i will mention it..

YOU have to remeber there are people reading looking for tips who wont know what your sig means or that you ahve been told ten million times... what will they think?

whats the point of giving critique if we dont do it properly?

Hi Tony. Hope to meet you at a match sometime this season.

My advice re the horizon, in the last picture, was based on criticism of one of my images by a Photo Editor at the Times. Whilst I was quite p'd off at the time I have altered my images, reflecting his advice, and have not had negative feedback since.

It's actually easier to get it right in the camera, as you probably know, by tilting your camera to reflect.

Back