Womens football

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
A wed afternoon (oct 7th) with nothing better to do I took the opportunity to test out my 400mm lens. I ahve been calibrating and wanted to test in real world situ

Everton v RoaIL at Marine.. Full set on website.. EXIF in place

#1 Evertons rachael Unitt. this pic also on www.uefa.com
evr1.jpg

#2 Great goalkeeper didn't score. 135mm prime lens
evr2.jpg

evr3.jpg

#4 Rare for me. Pic with no ball. But I thought it worked?
evr4.jpg

evr5.jpg

evr6.jpg

1,3 & 6 for me (y) player on the right in 1 :love:

The action in 3 is really well caught and the facial expressions in 6 are good :)

The 400 looks to be working well (y)

Did you have to calibrate it much.....I've never done any of my lenses.

the 400 is on -2 and theres a massive difference in quality between that and default 0

my 300 is at +6 and produces absoloutly fantastic shots..

my 135 mm prime is at -5 and i get a heck of a lot more keepers than i did with the 70-200 especialy at night or indoors.

my 24-70 has no calibration..

the 400 is on -2 and theres a massive difference in quality between that and default 0

my 300 is at +6 and produces absoloutly fantastic shots..

my 135 mm prime is at -5 and i get a heck of a lot more keepers than i did with the 70-200 especialy at night or indoors.

my 24-70 has no calibration..

noobie question here but how do you calibrate your lens?! :thinking:

Great shots though! (y)

Canon 1dMKIII has a calibration system so you can calibrate per lens..

Very nice Tony!, Congrats on the new lens(y). I'm not in the sightest bit green with envy, honest! :razz:. Kind regards Graham.

Cracking set, 4&5 are my pick of an excellent bunch.

These are world class shots!

No4 (y)

The 400 looks to be working well (y)

Am debating wether to keep it though... Its big.. thats the only problem... but its an awkward one for me...

It/you certainly does the job well though, they're all pin sharp, i'd have thought a 400mm f/2.8 lens would have been a necessity for a sports tog shooting cricket or do you find the MkIII gives enough resolution in low light to crop OK using the 300mm and a TC.

...fail...fail...fail...fail...FAIL...

Where are the post-match 'Bath-Shots'...???? :shrug:

the 400 is a heavy beast for sure, and takes alot of getting used to on the monopod, i've not used the 300 before but i think its about half the weight of the 400 :nuts:

I always like a bit of girl on girl action

Keep the 400, you'll get used to it and when at big matches and things get crowded you push the other togs lenses away with it.

Gonna get some more games under my belt before I decide.. as you can see the lens is good.. it really is just the wieght and bulk.,. carrying an extra bag.. at £3650 in tip top condition I am guessing i wouldnt have any problem selling.. But may keep.. Loverly decisions these.. 300 or 400 hehe

Also I am learning with it.. you have to keep your shutter speed up because of the longer length so 320/400 isnt really gonna hack it like it will (if needed) with the 300.

Was far too long for ice hockey haha.. but the 135 prime was betetr than i thought last night.. well please...

It/you certainly does the job well though, they're all pin sharp, i'd have thought a 400mm f/2.8 lens would have been a necessity for a sports tog shooting cricket or do you find the MkIII gives enough resolution in low light to crop OK using the 300mm and a TC.

I really wanted the 400 for cricket and rugby but they seem so far away.. not so much needed at the type of grounds i go to for footy... I am guessing a month ago i wouldnt even be debating it.

Yeagh you ahve seen my 300+1.4 cricket pics.. they work :)

Question for other 400 users.. do you stay in f2.8 a lot regardless?

Question for other 400 users.. do you stay in f2.8 a lot regardless?

Well i did go through a spell of shooting day games at f/4 to see if it was better stepped down but i found it didn't isolate the players aswell, and for night games you can't really get away with f/4. As for shutter speeds i'll be putting it to the test next week to see how low i can take it. I reckon 1/500 1/400 should be achievable. 1/320 might be pushing it. Have you shot at Bamber Bridge before? got PNE ressies agaisnt the Donkey lashers next wed

under lights I tend to keep her at 2.8 but during the day I'll aim for 3.2 or 3.5, helps to get a tiny touch more DOF but doesn't cause me any issues with BG's.

Course for Cricket I'll stop down further. :)

You going to keep the 3 and the 4? Great combo if you can.

I cant afford the 300 and 400 so have to choose. erk

I know 2.8 at night that goes without saying really :)

Oh dear.. Bamber bridge at night... take a big torch andy haha ISO 6400 there mate.

I cant afford the 300 and 400 so have to choose. erk

I know 2.8 at night that goes without saying really :)

Oh dear.. Bamber bridge at night... take a big torch andy haha ISO 6400 there mate.

ISO 6400 :puke: Anyone want to lend me a couple of D3's for the night :LOL:

what sort of shutter speed were you getting? Might have to get the gas axe and cut down one of the searchlights off the bridge wing:naughty:

1/320 on 400mm could be pushing it, will just have to plonk me self right behind the goals so i only shoot em running towards me :shake:

1/320 on 400mm could be pushing it, will just have to plonk me self right behind the goals so i only shoot em running towards me :shake:

I do a lot of games at that speed, nights and winter.. hmmmmm

i guess so yeah am just thinking that you've been using the 300 though. never mind, will be a good test for me, will make accy's floodlights seem like Eastlands :LOL:

i guess so yeah am just thinking that you've been using the 300 though. never mind, will be a good test for me, will make accy's floodlights seem like Eastlands :LOL:

No I was thinking aloud.. re another plus for the 300 :)

Weirdly I managed 800, 1600iso at 3.2 at Gloucester for the Heineken cup game on Friday night.. Better lights than most prem grounds :eek:

Unfortunatly I only really get to league 2 grounds or below and even 2.8 isnt enough at some :)

Been to a couple of rugby with good lights though.. but generally try to keep wide open under floodlights... I was generalising anyway :)

Nice shots!
at least there is someone on here taking shots of woman's football, better game than mens football anyway!
how come you can never have a discussion on woman's football without the ignorant comments?
chuhh MEN.
:LOL:

Cheers everyone.. most appreciated:)

Keep the 400 its the best you will get
you get used to the weight after a few games

I tend to stick to 3.2 or 3.5 when I can
although on good days will go to 4 or 5.6 even

Back