Women's tennis - Wimbledon, Day 1

Edit My Images
Yes
After the men's match (other thread) Anastasia Yakimova took on the No. 10 seed Nadia Petrova and lost 6-1 6-1. A bit slower than the men so a little easier to time the shots. All using 1D mk II and 300/4 (sometimes with 1.4x TC) or 70-200/4. Comments appreciated as always.

#1 Petrova close-up
3654378931_b95e4cc0fe_o.jpg

#2 Yakimova backhand
3654380859_fe45b606a0.jpg

#3 Watching the ball
3654382031_f58becc31a_o.jpg

3654386329_4c089ff461_o.jpg

#5 Great forehand (bad dress though)
3655186290_10489679e7_o.jpg

loving 2 3 and 4 great captures.
Think 1 looks sharp on the advertising but soft on what you can see of the face but could be the shadow or just me.

Thanks James - I think you are right on #1. It looked better in Lightroom but a tad soft now.

Cheers sidxms - no problems at all getting in. They searched the bag (and the guy in front of me tried to walk off with my bag not his!) but no questions. My brother took his gear along too and got through fine. Loads of photographers in the stands. Guess you could get complaints from other spectators if you are using long lenses. I was with friends who are used to me getting in their way now.

Don't think I've ever seen tennis shots before, weird!
So without any basis for comparison, they look good to me :D
I'd say it'd be pointless to have the shots with no ball in them, and it's there in them all, so ticks my only box (y)

Two very good sets (errr, no pun intended!)

I had similar experiences when I went two years ago (timing is hard), and they didn't seem to worry about my gear either, glad to hear that's not changed; will try to make it this week myself.

Very nice shots,#3 is very well timed. I was watching it on telly today and there were loads of DSLRs with big lenses in the stands so they don't appear to have a problem with photography, which is refreshing.

[cynic]Maybe something to do with the fact that TV coverage is by the bbc rather than sky? :cautious: [/cynic]

Back