Women's Tour of Britain

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't done any cycle race photography for a while so when I say that the Women's Tour would be in West Wales on 10th June and I would be off work I couldn't resist the idea of getting some shots. I checked out the route and saw two potential locations that I could get between during the race, one at Nantgaredig and the second on the slopes of Black Mountain near Pont Aber (just above the cattle grid). I was initially hoping to get to the finish line at the top of Black Mountain but the road was closed off before I got there. Here are a selection of shots from both places, shot with my D750 and 24-120/f4.
WTOB_1.jpg
WTOB_2.jpg
WTOB_3.jpg
WTOB_4.jpg

Looks like a great day Steve, liking #2 and nice to see you were noticed in #5 :)

Looks like a great day Steve, liking #2 and nice to see you were noticed in #5 :)
It really was a great day out but I think I could have found better places to shoot from. #2 is my favourite too :)

It really was a great day out but I think I could have found better places to shoot from. #2 is my favourite too :)
It can be difficult especially if you don't know the area well and even if you do things can crop up that you didn't plan for.
24-120 was probably a good choice. :)

It can be difficult especially if you don't know the area well and even if you do things can crop up that you didn't plan for.
24-120 was probably a good choice. :)
My mate, Rob, insisted on using his 150-600S and got some lovely head and upper body shots ... but not much else :( He did good with the Red Kites on the way home though :)

Good set,Steve. Number 2 for me, too . You've caught her very well.

Well done, too for the effort put in to get there.

Hi John, thanks for the comments :)

I can assure you that I DIDN'T cycle there ... those days are long gone :(

For me #2 is the strongest and for my personal taste I'm not keen with the ones that have the wheels/limbs cut off. But that is just me. Cycling events that I have done in the past I've pre-planned the location and even then it can be tricky and it is surprisingly how fast they can whizz past you or how little room to shoot. My biggest bane is when in a crowded area is trying to shoot past people sticking their arms out holding their mobile phones. Oh and the waiting around for the peloton to arrive!

At last years Tour of Britain I chose what I thought would be a good location on Dartmoor and faced all of the above problems but came away with a few I was happy with.

Overall you did a good job given the difficulties you faced on the day.

Back