Critique Woody The...........

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Yeah, its a Woopecker, but what type, i initially thought it was a Great Spotted Woodpecker, but after a comment on FB saying they thought it was a Lesser Spotted i thought i'd see what you guys thought

This is my first spot of any sort of Woodpecker, let alone photographing one, so i was pretty chuffed yesterday

Anyway, enough waffling, here is the shot, taken at Shillito Woods in Derbyshire

Also, any critique welcomed as i am still pretty new to bird photography

Woody The Woodpecker
by RichPICings, on Flickr

It's a Great Spotted, possibly a female

Nice one cheers, how can you tell if male/female?

Sorry, i should have said also that it did have a red nape but you can't see it in this shot

The male has the red patch on the back of the neck, the young have a red patch on top of the head and the female has no red on the head.

Ahh cheers, yes it did have a red nape/back of its neck, just can't quite be seen in this shot

Cheers

Good shot there, Rich. The area to the left of the post is a little distracting but its a well focussed and exposed shot. A lesser spotted apart from being much less common than the GSW, has no red near the base of the tail, but is also small - about the size of a sparrow.

Dave

Good shot there, Rich. The area to the left of the post is a little distracting but its a well focussed and exposed shot. A lesser spotted apart from being much less common than the GSW, has no red near the base of the tail, but is also small - about the size of a sparrow.

Dave

Cheers, i had considered a portrait type crop to remove the distracting background, but as i had already cropped in quite heavily i didn't want to crop it too much more, but certainly something to bear in mind next time, ta

Back