working out a models suitability from port

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Is there a knack to visualising how a model will fit the 'look' of a shot you have in your head or is it just a matter of doing a trial with them?

All thoughts appreciated

If I'm looking for a particular "look" then I will select a model who demonstrates that look in her portfolio. However, normally I tailor the shoot to the model rather than the other way around.

thats the problem, I've gotten to the point where I'm not just shooting for me any more. I know I can have them come round and do a test shoot - stoopid living in cornwall with the models I want like 30+ miles away

Trial shoot. Deffo. Finding someone willing to work TFCD or at a reduced rate with a view to further fully-paid bookings is ideal. They then know they have to perform well in order to gain repeat booking from you.

Pick one with a broad range of images where she looks sufficiently different in each.

What you're after is a blank canvas to imprint you own vision upon, not just repeat her earlier styles.

Book a two-hour test shoot (that doesn't mean two hours of shooting BTW - allow 30 minutes make-up and prep time as well as a tea-break after 45 minutes or so) and shoot a quick series of shots with at least one costume-change. That'll give you a heads-up as to her personality and suitability for future projects.

well I've got 3 models coming to see me for this first set of shoots and I'm likely to take one on for a lot of my upcoming work

Back