Working with textures

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
I've caught the texture bug... but rather than using someone else's, I've started creating my own... Not everyone's cup of tea, I get that. :)

Some vase's hold more than just flowers...

BBPicturemaker by BethBotterill, on Flickr

Do you mean you made the texture background ? It is nice and neutral, useful for many shades and looks good behind these flowers but there appears to be a line down the right hand side.

The flowers and vase look strange - there appears to be a slight reflection but no floor - maybe just drawing a slight dark straight line across the bottom would change this. The pattern is very visible at the edges but blurred behind the vase and flowers and the first space just above the rim of the vase looks very cut out - maybe putting a layer behind it with a flower or leaf and blurring the edges slightly would look more realistic.

Overall I like the layout and the matching pink border and can imagine it as a card design but needs just a little more attention to little details to be perfect for me

I have had a quick play to try and show what I mean, if you don't like it I will remove

bethsflowers.jpg

What size do you find it is best to make your textures? I have been making a lot of new brushes recently but have not tried many textures so far

Last edited:
Do you mean you made the texture background ? It is nice and neutral, useful for many shades and looks good behind these flowers but there appears to be a line down the right hand side.

The flowers and vase look strange - there appears to be a slight reflection but no floor - maybe just drawing a slight dark straight line across the bottom would change this. The pattern is very visible at the edges but blurred behind the vase and flowers and the first space just above the rim of the vase looks very cut out - maybe putting a layer behind it with a flower or leaf and blurring the edges slightly would look more realistic.

Overall I like the layout and the matching pink border and can imagine it as a card design but needs just a little more attention to little details to be perfect for me

I have had a quick play to try and show what I mean, if you don't like it I will remove

bethsflowers.jpg

What size do you find it is best to make your textures? I have been making a lot of new brushes recently but have not tried many textures so far

Hiya

Thanks for your feedback...

I saw the line on the right hand side now that you mentioned it... it appears that one of my layers had shifted slightly... didn't notice that. doh. I normally layer up my textures, sometimes using as many as 6 different layers...
Actually, there is no reflection :) However I do see what you're seeing now that you've mentioned a reflection. This is in fact the bottom of the vase.. it has a thick bottom that bows outward. It's an old vase, generations old... It was taken against a neutral seamless background, so there was really no 'floor' anyway. Looking at it again, I can see that I should have kept some texture showing through the vase itself and been a bit more careful removing texture around the foliage as I see what you mean about a 'cut out' section...

I've been making my textures 6300 x 4200, which normally covers the size images I work with for print.

Cheers for the edit.. :) Not sure about the addition of the foliage, but truly appreciative of the feedback.

B

Back