Would appreciate a critical eye - flash setup.

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
Been having a go at small flash setup / product type shots. Don't really know what I'm doing so thought I'd ask for advice here.

I have large softbox close overhead and slightly to right. A shoot through umbrella left and front and a third flash on the background.

This first one I think needs a brighter bg.
DSC_2650 by simon ess, on Flickr

I'm quite happy with this second one.
DSC_2652-2 by simon ess, on Flickr

In both cases - am I missing something, could they be better etc, I'm particularly interested in views on shadows.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
prefer the lighting on the first the neutral light grey looks fine. though being picky the reel has some stains on it that i would have cleaned up first and the trail of line i would have removed or had running off the image rather than stopping midway.
the second the cup looks a little over exposed along the top left rim and is a little flat. being china would like to see stronger light from one side to give a sharper reflected edge if that makes sense.
sort of more like this

http://johnlewis.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLewis/230880766?$prod_main$

which is lit predominantly more from one side .
just my personal thoughts on them would say your 99% there

Thanks for that Dean. That's exactly what I mean by not knowing what I'm looking at.

That cup and saucer example is a case in point. I had achieved something like that, and can again, but wondered if it should be more evenly lit. I can see now it's best to have more form to it.

Also interesting that the light grey is OK. That actually makes life easier.

Oh, I know about the stains - now I know I'm on the right lines I'll take it a bit more seriously.

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Few minor alterations and had another go.

These are SOOC jpegs, apart from a slight crop of the second. Trying to get it right in camera. Is 200kb still maximum upload size for gallery pics?

DSC_2712
by simon ess on Talk Photography

DSC_2713

DSC_2714

Last edited:
the first is great...the second fades out in comparison
there is a rule somewhere about photographing metal
you seem to have gotten it right
as a suggestion try some multi exposures at different exposures...say about 2/3 stop between starting at highlights and take around 5...so each is 2/3 stop underexposed
make a sandwich of them and apply some hdr software

Thanks for the thoughts Geof.

I'm trying to learn about lighting rather than HDR. Not that I have anything against it, it's just not what I'm looking to achieve right now.

Cheers.

This first one I think needs a brighter bg.

Nooooooo!!!...

Don't fall for that rookie mistake. It doesn't have to be pure white. It needs to be perceived as pure white... there's a difference. If you make the background so bright it appear as completely empty white, chances are you've ruined your lighting ratios or you're over exposing, and also the background starts to behave like a lightsource.

It looks fine as it is. There's no one way to light. With product photography though, especially anything shiny, always try to use reflected light rather than direct light, as then you can control the size of the light via the size of the surface you're reflecting off. You're getting away with the softbox at the moment due to the nature of the objects. If for instance, you were shooting a round, black vase... you'll be in a world of hurt, as every one of your lights would be reflected in it. However.. for the products you're shooting, they're pretty good. The second set of images you posted are not as good though. Background too bright, and shadows starting to become a problem. Don't try to over complicate your lighting. That second cup shot for example... the background is so bright, it's now a light source, and it's casting a shadow toward the camera, and the ratio from left to right is uneven. Whatever you were doing in the first two is working much better than the last lot.

as a suggestion try some multi exposures at different exposures...say about 2/3 stop between starting at highlights and take around 5...so each is 2/3 stop underexposed
make a sandwich of them and apply some hdr software

There's absolutely no need to do this in a studio because you have full control of your lighting ratios, and hence contrast. There's no place for HDR in commercial product photography, and you'll never, ever sell any work that uses it. It looks pants. The skill in product photography is lighting, not processing. That's not to say everything should be straight off camera of course, and there will always be a need to retouch something, but processing as a means of overcoming lighting and contrast issues in a studio is just poor photography.

Thanks very much David. I appreciate you taking the time. I'll take your suggestion on board and have another go.

Thanks for the thoughts Geof.

I'm trying to learn about lighting rather than HDR. Not that I have anything against it, it's just not what I'm looking to achieve right now.

Cheers.

i will watch with eagerness...i dont have any lighting to speak about...just ambient, flash, and contrived via pp
keep up that standard
cheers
geof

Thanks Geof.

I've spent quite a bit of time on it today, until all my flash batteries died. I'll put some results here later.

Here's the results of today's efforts. Lots of pictures I'm afraid. Still not sure if the background's right.

All SOOC

DSC_3016

DSC_3020

DSC_3023

DSC_3039

DSC_3046

DSC_3069

DSC_3119

Only got one go at this before my batteries died. Must clean the glass first :banghead:

DSC_3126

Last edited:
Thanks Geof.

I've spent quite a bit of time on it today, until all my flash batteries died. I'll put some results here later.

:(

i got a nice thyristor flash in a charity shop for a £5..just what i need for fill and bounce...a vivitar with good guide number
and then i found out about firing voltages and compatibiliy....so the thing is in the cupboard...minus batteries of course
cant take the risk with my lumix G1:confused:

Back