Would I be daft 7d to 1d3?

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm no further in my decision to upgrade from the 7d but am now considering rather than upgrading, swapping a 7d for a 1d3, from what I can gather the 1d3 would cater to my needs in terms of low light photography without losing image quality and tracking in good light...

Is there sense in my logic or would I be mad?

I can't advise (I have a 1D Mark III, but have never used a 7D), but I'm interested in the comments from others. I'd have thought the 7D MII is the natural 'upgrade.' No?

Unfortunately no budget for an upgrade, the swaps a more likely outcome to cover all bases I need if the 1d3 is up for the job...

I also went from a 7D to a 1D mk3, and I can't say I regretted it.

I've been using a 7DII all of this season with a 100-400 II almost permanently welded on it. It's a fantastic bit of kit and although I loved my 1DIII it doesn't hold a candle to the 7DII. It's handled everything I've thrown at it with no problems at all.

121A5721 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A5235 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A4005 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A8424 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A7470 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A6510 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A9614 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A8108 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

There's a few more as well https://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_boulton/albums/72157654502760652

I own and use a 1D3 and have also owned a 7D ,the files on the 1D are much easier to work with ,the whole camera has a better feel to it,you can work at far higher iso values without noise problems ,but take into account you lose reach ,and it's only 10 mp there is a trade off .it depeneds what your intended subjects are ,and also what lenses you own the 1D3 only takes EF lenses .
The 7Dmkii is a totally different beast and I am still not totally convinced not having had a chance to use one in bad light .in fact after many years of chopping and changing bodies ,systems ,lenses etc the only thing imho that helps in photography is good light

i did this move (7d to 1dmkiii) a few years back and never regretted it. the 1dmkiii image quality was miles ahead of the 7d i owned (other folk seemed to own better performing 7ds). cleaner images, lower noise, better AF on the 1d. the only thing i missed from the 7d was the larger image (18mp as opposed to 10mp). i've now switched from the 1dmkiii to a 7d mkii and so far, i'm glad i did. i found the 7dmkii streets significantly better than the 7d i had, in practically every way.

1d3 is far better except the 10mp resolution is fairly limiting if you print big. I'd still rather have 1D3, but then have you considered 1Ds2 if you want to increase your IQ (but only 4fps)

Thanks for the responses, 7d2 is well out of budget hence the swap suggestion, especially losing my job the week before xmas lol.

I am not to concerned with reach as shoot predominately drifting with media access so usually shooting in short lenses. Lenses I have are predominantly ef so would only lose the 50mm 1.8 but have lenses to cover...

Think that's my mind up so thank you

the 50mm 1.8 is a ef lens i think ??

Even better lol, ty...

Lens list
50mm 1.8
17-40L
100-400L Mk1
Sigma 10-20 (never gets used)

So lenses shouldn't be a concern

Last edited:
The 1D MIII is an excellent body. Mine only struggles in low light for my sons rugby games, which start in the afternoon at this time of the year. However, bear in mind that when I say 'struggle' I'm forced to use ISO6400 in order to maintain 1/1000sec with F5.6... Even then, the pictures are - to my mind - pretty good. It's only in these circumstances that I wish I had a 1DX or (dare I say it) a Nikon D3S.

I normally shoot at a max of 1/100 and normally 1/50 or lower so don't think I should be having that issue :)

Even better lol, ty...

Lens list
50mm 1.8
17-40L
100-400L Mk1
Sigma 10-20 (never gets used)

So lenses shouldn't be a concern

Will the 10 - 20 work on the APS-H crop camera? Didn't think that it would.

I must be the only one who has gone from a 1DIII to a 7D. I was never happy with the IQ from the 1DIII. The 7D seems better to me. My 1D went back for both fixes, but never seemed to actually miss focus (as the recalls were for), it just never seemed to produce images that were particularly sharp. I never quite got to the bottom of it. 7D seems to produce punchier, sharper images for me. Got to say, though, that the handling of the 1D is second to none. The difference between 10fps and 8 fps is actually noticeable, too.

Sorry that this is more in the way of musings than actual advice.

Back